Yank visting London. Will attend match. Needs advice.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Eric Berg, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Rupert789

Rupert789 New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    I reckon I should be at that match too! When the tickets come out at least

2. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we're on the subject of tickets-- I'm looking to be on London for the 1 February match against Manchester City. I never got a chance to see David Seaman in goal for Arsenal with my own eyes, but I figure seeing him at highbury period should do nicely. :D

Here's the thing-- the hotel I'm looking to stay at is out by Gatwick airport. It's the Renaissance London Gatwick hotel, out in Surrey. Anyone know how far that is from London proper, and how long it'd take to get in by bus/tube? I'm staying there because it's free :D -- employee benefit. Unfortunately, the only other hotels that are offering the free stay are in Middlesex and Cambridgeshire. I have no idea where the hell those places are, having never gone anywhere in England that wasn't London.

I'm not officially asking for help getting tickets yet, I'm just trying to get a sense of whether or not staying at this hotel would be worthwhile. Mapquest doesn't help that much. Hope someone can help!

3. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Gatwick is miles away. Where is the hotel in Middlesex? (please don't say Heathrow!)

Gatwick Airport to the Arsenal would take about 80 minutes and involves three trains. I live in Middlesex (although it no longer exists!!) and can get to the ground in about 30 minutes. It depends if you would be staying near the railway.

4. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HEATHROW HEATHROW HEATHROW

Er... seriously, the hotel is at Bath Road, Hounslow, Middlesex. It's the Renaissance London Heathrow, so I'm assuming that it's not the answer that you (and I) were hoping for!

Still, what are my prospects, in terms of getting over to Highbury? 80 minutes is not all that bad, but an improvement would be nice. If I can get winter fire sale plane tickets for around $200-250 per, that will make for a remarkably inexpensive mini-vacation. Which is to say, more money for Arsenal gear. :D

5. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can only assume it's been a long while since "BRODO" visited London. You can take the "Gatwick Express" train straight into Victoria Station (London). That takes 35 minutes. Then take the Victoria Line tube train to Finsbury Park station which is 7 stops, (no changing) and takes about 20 minutes and brings you right outside the "Arsenal World of Sport" merchandise shop. (Time to spend some money!!). A 5 minute walk from there down St. Thomas' Road brings you straight to Highbury. To Arsenal within an hour! Jeff.

6. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    P.S. "MIKE". If you are coming alone, then you can use my spare season ticket, so you will be able to get inside the ground too! Jeff.

7. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    I've lived in London all my life Jeff and still do. Don't forget he will have to travel to the airport from his hotel. I was also including the Picadilly Line from Kings X to Arsenal. The most direct route is a Thameslink train to King's Cross transferring to the Piccadilly line.

Heathrow is simpler, no changes but still a journey of an hour from Heathrow Central.

8. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    5 min walk?? more like run.. lol

by the way.. i will be at the Adam and Eve pub on Bradford street before the match.. its right round from st andrews... any other BS gooners goin? be cool to say ello

9. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fellow Yanks-- I just got back from London about 3 weeks ago, the dollar is taking a bath over there so make sure you have the economy figured into your budget!

10. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the kind offer (and the info. about the Gatwick Express-- is there a similar "Heathrow Express"?), but I'm bringing my dad, so there'll be two of us. I'm still not officially begging for tickets just yet-- need to nail down airfare and talk to dad in the next week or two, as his health is a bit fragile. When things ARE confirmed, I'll come asking for tickets. If you can't put your hands on a pair, Jeff, I'll go to the supporters' mailing list, and to the touts if I still can't get anything. I'll keep you posted in this thread.

(and like I said before, this would be for the 1 February home match vs. Man City.)

11. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    The only time I can squeeze into is the April 10th game v. Liverpool and the April 12th game that Monday at Newcastle.
    How much will touts rape me for one Liverpool ticket (possibly 2 but I doubt it) probably so I can budget for it? Also, would I be able to get a couple away tickest to Newcastle as I may be picking up a buddy in Cambridge to come along?

It will be my 'virgin' trip to THOF. Any and all suggestions is appreciated.

12. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I might be able to help you out for Liverpool as I might be in Belgium for a football tournament. Newcastle are notorious for releasing tickets to away fans so that might be difficult. I want know on either until early 2004.

13. AmericanGunner

AmericanGunner New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    U.S.A.
    I'd be eternally greatful for at least the Liverpool match. Is it worth it getting Toon tickets for their section, knowng I can't cheer too loudly? Since its harder to get away tickets, and I would like to see the game.
    I'll check with you in the new year as a reminder.

14. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Jeff, I'm in for the travel class this may and we are not going to be in London until may 10th-11th and will be there on the 15th for the Leiceister game. If there is anyway you could get me tickets or tell me how to get them that'd be great. Even if I can't get tickets I'd still like to go the pub before the game. It might just be me now, so if you can only get one that'd be great.

15. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    Time for Help!

Well, just booked a flight for London and now I'm contemplating a way to get a single ticket to Highbury on 1 February.

Looks like Jeff Almighty already is engaged for that date but if there's anybody else over there who can keep an eye out for a ticket for me, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance.

16. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    More on tickets

As part of our roadtrip, we'll be discussing the ticketing relationship between our club and the ArsenalAmerica membership. It's been a bit in flux this year as it got a bit out of control last year, but hopefully we'll have some information when we get back that members can use for obtaining tickets.

17. JTorres

JTorres New Member

Mar 2, 2000
    The Globe-Chicago
    Re: More on tickets

That would be fantastic. They sound like they are willing to work with the group. Hope this means that a 1 February ticket could become available.

Thanks for all your hard work and hope you have a great time.