Yallop says Galaxy will play 4-3-3...Is this new news?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by csctn, Feb 5, 2007.

1. csctn

csctn Member

Aug 10, 2004
    TN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fact, Yallop envisioned Jaqua as the key player in front of the goal. “We’ll play a 4-3-3, so I see him up top, high, depending on Landon [Donovan] and Alan Gordon. We’ve got some nice combination of forwards now.”

http://www.lasoccernews.com/article.php?article_id=1057

I had not heard this before, is this new?
    I have hear Lalas specifically mention the 4-4-2.
    I also have to say there is little difference between 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 as he describes it.

2. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow.

We played a 4-3-3 for the first half of about 3 games towards the end of last season. Personally, I didn't like it much, although others did.

Maybe Frank looked at the roster, realized he didn't have any wide midfielders and said "Heck with it. We don't need no stinkin' wide midfielders. We'll play a 4-3-3"

The part that worries me is the line about how the formation might depend on Alan Gordon. Nothing should depend on Alan Gordon.

3. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So we play something like this.

--------------Jaqua---------------
    Donovan---------------Quaranta
    -------------Cobecks---------------
    -----Sturgis-----Vagenas---------
    Jazic-Marshall-Roberts-Albright
    --------------Cannon---------------

For me, there are a couple of big problems. Putting Landon wide limits the number of his touches compared with when he is a withdrawn forward. Also, we have no depth whatsoever in the middle of the field. Gardner and Kirk would be wing forwards in this system (or outside backs I guess). You can’t run a system that uses two holding midfielders when you only have two holding midfielders! OK so we have Josh Tudela, but seriously? I suppose you could move Beckham back, since he is more of a deep player in the middle, but we can’t count on Cobi at AM.

I don’t even know what to think of this:

Glinton---------------Quaranta
    -------------Donovan---------------
    -----Sturgis-----Beckham---------

4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've got some time to kill so I'll just keep replying to my own posts. :)

I guess it all depends on how the players move around. After all, swapping two lines gets me to my desired formation

-------------Donovan---------------
    Glinton---------------Quaranta
    -----Sturgis-----Beckham---------

5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about defense in that midfield, but it sure as heck has a lot of ball control and firepower.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Glinton back in our roster? I missed that somehow.

7. JuiceBox

JuiceBox Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

amen to that brother Alan gorDon't

8. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not trolling here ...

But you guys need to take Beckham out of the starting XI's. he's going to miss FIVE MONTHS OF YOUR SEASON. he aint suiting up for you guys until mid or late August.

again, don't shoot me, I WANT him to be in MLS for the start in April. i've been saying that for months. don't shoot me, shoot the powers that be for not making it happen.

again, even though i'm a fan of an opposing team, I want him to be here playing for LAG for the start of the year.

9. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I can't stand 3-5-1. That's why the U.S. lost in the first round in the World Cup. Too damn conservative of a strategy from the coaching staff.

4-3-3 or my favorite, 4-4-2, are how the U.S. and most MLS teams should always play. I think with Beckham and Donovan playing midfielders for your Galaxy, it will bring a powerful offense for ya'll.

You'll still have 3 on defense with the other midfielder dropping back, while Beckham and Donovan will have 4 options on offense. That could result in higher scoring for your squad.

Your only weakness is your half-court. Your midfielders will be powerful when within striking disatnce, but having only three in the middle of the field will probably result in poor midfield defense and other teams winning midfield headers. If Beckham and Donovan don't chalenge every midfield play and support the 4 on offense, you'll be alright. But neither one of those two are God. They can't burn themselves out before the 60th minute by doing all the half-field work.

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Jaqua belongs on the right in a 4-3-3.

11. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham will be aight so long as he has ample time to learn the Galaxy's style of offense. He'll be in shape come his debut, because I know he's probably training just as hard as he would if gameday were tomorrow. Hopefully for LA's sake, he'll have constant football dialogue with Yallop with strategy in-hand to get the planning process going.

If I were Yallop, I would not start him midfield at first. I'd start him as a forward, and switch him to midfield in September or even next season. U can't just throw the brotha into the fire after 5 months of no matches, but he still has to be on the field if he wants to improve his game.

12. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever anyone thinks of the formation, it is still totally surreal to see Beckham's name on there...

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yallop mentioned in the article that Jaqua could also be used as the right forward in a 4-3-3

Quaranta-----Donovan------Jaqua
    ---------------Beckham
    -------Sturgis------Vagenas
    Jazic---Marshall--Roberts---Albright
    --------------Cannon

Would really require a lot out of Jazic and Albright to provide the width in the attack....

14. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It feels like ya'll typed in a cheat-code in an MLS video game:)

15. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the one reason I like Donovan on the right in a 4-3-3, because he and Albright are SO deadly in combination. Albright loves to dash up the right side.

16. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alot of balls

I think Yallop is nuts with this lineup here:

Quaranta ----- Donovan ---- Gordon

Sturgis ----- Vagenas ----- Beckham

Jazic --- Marshall --- Roberts --- Albright

--------------- Cannon ----------------

I am not completely sold on Gordon up top. Quaranta up top is a new position, he got lost in the midfield in about half the games last year. what will he do when doesn't see the ball for awhile?

Albright is gonna have to stay home lot to help cover for becks, I dont see becks wanting or even thinking he has to defend all that much. So Albright's scoring is gonna take a hit.

Something tells me the 4-3-3, will really be a 4-4-2, with donovan having to draw back receive balls from vags, sturgis, and becks... gordon and somewhat quarantas posession or holding is Shltty. play to gordons feet will be frustrating to watch.

This announcment by Yallop has to be phony. why would he give that away months before the season?

17. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    Re: Alot of balls

Not sure where you pulled that lineup from considering Yallop said that Jaqua would be in front of goal... not in front of the bench.

18. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Alot of balls

Obviously as a smoke screen to throw juicebox off, as usual.

19. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

That is the only formation that I see winning games. What's worse is we won't have Becks soon, and LD and Albright are certainly going to be off with the Nats, possibly Jaqua and Cannon.

And maybe Jazic.

Am I the only one worried about this season?

20. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---+---:

No....

21. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Kirk most likely will taken by the U20s. Sturgis...I think will not be with the U20s because he turns 20 at the beginning of the U20 WC. However, Sturgis did impress in Panama last month and depending on how his play early in the season is, he may justify a call-up to the senior side for Copa America. I can't wait for the day when we don't play on FIFA dates or during Gold Cup/World Cup.:(

4-3-3? Hmm.

22. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't checked the rule, but I think qualification for U20 depends on being under 20 at a certain date. I don't think his going over 20 after that date during the WC year disqualifies him. I need to check the rules to be sure, but I think he's OK to play for the U20 squad.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's by the year you were born in - not the exact birthday. I think we can count on Sturgis and Kirk gone for the U20s, and Donovan, Albright and Jaqua gone for some (if not all) of the summer with the two competitions. Plus Jazic might get the call for Canada. And Beckham isn't here until July.

So....waiting to hear about those additional signings that Alexi and Frank keep talking about...

24. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Seems like this is the formation that makes the most sense positionally--but then our team would have no width, and that kinda defeats the purpose of picking up Jaqua over the summer. Even though Frankie says Beckham is going to play centrally, he might help the team more by playing out right, and leave Landy in the middle somewhere (especially as Landy is sh*t on the wing)

Quaranta---- Jaqua------Gordon
    Sturgis-----Donovan------Beckham
    Jazic---Marshall--Roberts---Albright
    --------------Cannon

nah, on second thought, lets stick with 4-4-2

25. eubh223

eubh223 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    He's still sticking by the 4-3-3, with Becks a central midfielder. http://www.themlszone.blogspot.com

I think it sounds decent if we put Quaranta on one wing and Kirk on the other wing in the midfield.