Yallop on Ralph & Tom at 4:25 PM (KNBR 680/1050)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Nov 10, 2003.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    "Soccer" to be discussed on Ralph & Tom this afternoon...

Just going into an ad break at 3:40 PM PST, Ralph Barbieri on KNBR 680/1050 AM said they're going to "discuss soccer" coming up. Didn't say what, but I'm presuming last night will be a topic, if not THE topic. Problem is, when Ralph says "coming up," he usually means anywhere between now and 7 PM.

EDIT: Ralph just confirmed they're talking to Yallop at 4:25. He added, "If all soccer games were like that, the sport would be a lot more popular."

2. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
  3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Blue! They keep saying Franky's up next!

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Frank mentioned LD to remain 1 more year in MLS.

5. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Interview also covered:

* Frank's time with Ipswich Town

* Last night's match, of course. Ralph asked about the quote in today's papers that it was the best game with which Frank had been associated. Best quote: "To score five unanswered goals, even against an inferior opponent, is very difficult."

* The rivalry with LA, which he thinks is a good thing. From his perspective, it heated up when the Quakes "did them" in the '01 Cup final but the Gals knocked us out of the USOC.

* Landon. As harttbeat mentioned, FY said Landon will probably play one more year in MLS and then go to Europe. FY also said Landon has pretty much been the best player in the US National pool since he was 17 or 18.

* Freddy Adu. Frank said that Freddy is probably better at 14 than Landon was. He thinks ManUre will sign him soon.

Nice of Ralph and Tom to pretty much let FY talk, too, since the interview was so short. Usually, Ralph drives me nuts doing interviews because he's so arrogant and longwinded that his questions are often longer than the interviewees' responses.

6. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    After they came back from break, Ralph said that despite soccer not being a popular topic, it's good to give Coach Yallop and the Quakes their "just due," especially after scoring 4 unanswered goals.

He also said anytime the Quakes have 4 unanswered goals, they will put the coach or a Quake player on the air.

At least, they gave some free publicity for Saturday's KC game.

BlueMeanie, thanks for the heads up on this interview. I read this thread just in time.

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does KNBR archive these interviews on their website? Was wondering, as I just missed out on it live. :(

8. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralph: So Felipe, does it feel good coming back home to San Francisco because it's where you played your ball with your brothers and everything and with the great Willie Mays and Bobby Bonds and Willie McCovey and Juan Marichal, and that this is kind of always you know like, a second home to you even if you weren't born here, or do you feel that maybe there's a lot of pressure and you've certainly had a great career and it take a lot of energy dealing with Barry and the organization with the new ballpark and all the expecations?

Felipe: Yes.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly the answer I would have given.

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I have to give Ralph and Tom some

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Oops...sorry for aborted post. Continuing...

I have to give Ralph and Tom some credit not only for letting Frank talk but also for asking reasonable questions that showed that they actually prepared a little bit. In short, they gave him the respect he deserves. They also asked about the short Spartan field and the effect that has on strategy, etc. They also talked about the effect of the wet field Sunday night. Frank basically said that each game has its own set of unique circumstances and you just have to work with it. In other words, it's not an excuse for either side.

On the growth of soccer in the U.S., Frank noted that one of the reasons parents want to get their kids playing soccer is the positive example shown by the "fine young men and women" playing the sport professionally. I guess compared to pointy ball players and basketball players they would probably seem to be good role models overall. If soccer really explodes here some day, and big money comes in, that will probably deteriorate a bit.