Yale women’s soccer involved in admission fraud

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Mar 12, 2019.

1. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    In light of all this, the timing of it, and the location (Boston) does it make anyone else think about what happened with the BC women's soccer coach and her abrupt resignation?

2. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I realize that you're a UCLA homer but your statement above doesn't make sense. USC, from an academic standpoint, is generally considered to be superior to UCLA. I'm not sure how you can logically state that "she wasn't cut out for UCLA" if USC was the first choice. UCLA is a great school but is a step under USC.

3. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004

In what realm is usc considered academically better than UCLA? That’s patently untrue. Maybe in your mind but in every metric available UCLA is a higher ranked academic institution. They are both great schools and hard to get into which is what makes this whole thing so maddening that kids are sliding in not on merit. But the idea that usc is generally considered academically superior to UCLA is untrue. Usc has increased its academic profile over the past decade and a half but still ranks behind UCLA academically.

4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Both Ali and and Assistant were gone from USC before this got started

5. FreshPow

FreshPow New Member

United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long gone, but utilized their extensive contacts to facilitate scams.

6. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Do we know for sure that Ali wasn’t doing this while he was at usc? Have any documents shown when he first got connected with singer? (They May have shown that i just haven’t poured through all the pages of the indictment. I’m genuinely asking if we know when their relationship began).

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It seems pretty bizarre that two men's soccer coaches--Salcedo at UCLA and the former coach at USC -- would be involved in a scam to get a female student into UCLA via the UCLA women's soccer team. I get a strong sense from the transcript/indictment that the two of them had been involved in this kind of illegal activity in the past--this wasn't a one-time/first-time thing with them. And, yea, Cromwell clearly had to been involved in this, no? I have to think she's in some trouble.

8. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #58 PlaySimple, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    As you said, both are great schools and, honestly, we're splitting hairs.

The metrics that I looked at state that USC is more difficult to get admitted to, albeit slightly. That is what this whole debacle is about. Getting admitted to a particular institution.

Anyway, let's look at the numbers.

USC admits about 16% vs 18% for UCLA
    ACT, middle 50%, is 30-34 for USC vs 25-33 for UCLA
    SAT math, middle 50%, is 650-770 for USC vs 610-760 for UCLA
    SAT verbals, middle 50%, is 650-730 for USC vs 630-730 for UCLA

Do you want to look at outcomes? 76.8% of USC students graduate within 4 years vs 74.6 for UCLA. USC also has a slightly larger percentage of students returning after the 1st year.

source:

https://www.collegedata.com/en/college-profile/1138/?tab=profile-overview-tab
    https://www.collegedata.com/en/college-profile/1093/?tab=profile-overview-tab

The data suggests that UCLA admits a slightly more disparate class vs USC. But, as I said, we're splitting hairs.

US News & World Report, for whatever that is worth, ranks the schools very closely as well:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/compare?xwalk_id=123961&xwalk_id=110662

I'll go back to what I made my original post. McSkillz makes no sense with this statement: "The fact her first choice was USC should have been a red flag that she wasn't cut out for UCLA" That statement suggests that UCLA is superior to USC and that just isn't the case. More than anything, one is a half dozen and the other is six.

California is fortunate to have so many high ranking schools - Stanford, UCLA, USC, Berkely, Cal Tech, the 5Cs, and others. All of this, though, makes me wonder if all students are admitted on their own merit to those schools and obvious they're not. If somone used a scheme to be admitted to the schools above that participate in D3 athletics, specifically Cal Tech and the 5Cs, they would quickly be rooted out because they would never cut it at such rigorous schools.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #59 cpthomas, Mar 15, 2019
    Actually, she wasn't "clearly" on the roster.

If you go to UCLA's roster page, there she is at the bottom and if you click on her link, you get to the page in your link. But, on the UCLA roster page, if you look at the team photo, under the photo is a list of the player names. Her name is not on the list.

Further, if you go to the 2017 individual player stats (and 2018 too, for that matter), she is not listed as a player.

And, see this on her linkedin page:
    • [​IMG]
      Women’s Soccer Team Manager
      UCLA Athletics
      August 2016 – April 2018 1 year 9 months
      - Handle team administrative duties, including coordinating travel and served as on-site support for home games and practices

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #60 Cliveworshipper, Mar 15, 2019
    You don’t have the timeline for this Investigation correct,which goes back several years.

Ali Khosroshahin and Laura Janke, his assistant Were both indeed indicted for a count of racketeering and for a count for forfeiture due to racketeering, whether you like it or not.
    Also indicted from USC on the same filing are Associate AD Donna Heinel and the water polo coach, Jovan Vavic.

So that you may familiarize yourself with the several USC people included in the indictment and the details of the charges, Here is a pdf of the document.

You will find familiar names on page one.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1142881/download

Note that the first and last pages have stamps that show the indictment was under seal, so it may actually have been filed some time ago.

11. FreshPow

FreshPow New Member

United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter how you slice it, she was given preferential treatment during admission with a false soccer profile/parent bribe. The part that we don't know, is how this was arranged with the Men's coach/Women's coach.

12. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #62 staffstaff, Mar 15, 2019
    But Isackson is listed on the 2017 Women's Soccer Roster and there was player bio included. See it how you want, it's odd.

https://uclabruins.com/roster.aspx?roster=182&path=wsoc

Read page 15, again, see it how you want.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #63 Cliveworshipper, Mar 15, 2019
    According the the filing, Money went directly to fund USC’s Water Polo program.(coach Jovan Vavic indictment) So that’s at least two sports programs that benefited from fraudulently obtained funds.

(Page 11)

Also, further funds were directed to a USC account directed by Associate AD Heinel in 12 instances, which would seem to implicate Several the sports programs at USC financially, including crew etc. You can follow the financial trail each time she is mentioned.
    (Pages 12, 13, etc)

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Meanwhile, the NCAA has filed a class 1 violation to P5 minnow Georgia Tech for an assistant taking a basketball recruit to a strip club and impermissible benefits ( valued at $300).

They must be really mad about this admissions fraud racketeering thing

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I think I mis-interpreted the post I was responding to. I think there's no question it's odd: what the heck was going on? It certainly looks suspicious. How could the soccer coaches not have known something weird was going on?

17. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    geeze Georgia Tech is pathetic. . . taking a basketball recruit to the strip club. Everyone knows the big time programs bring the strippers straight to you. They don't make you step foot in the strip club! Step up your game GT

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, the fact that the indictment mentions Khoshroshahin referring a “player” to Salcedo certainly says there is at least some racketeering.

But in the case of USC and crew or possibly water polo, when your boss starts moving your supposed allotments around and tells you it’s for the good of your program, Saying “ hay boss, that looks fishy” is a good way to get fired.

That’s what compliance officers are supposed to be for.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  20. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A father is accused of paying someone to take his sons' SAT tests. One son went to Berkeley. It not clear if anyone at Berkeley was involved in this. Unless the rowing coach knew something was not right.

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compliance officers at most schools are busy dealing with football and basketball.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ah, yes.

Revenue sports.

23. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/s...gtype=Homepage

"In recent years, Yale’s teams did not perform as well as they had in the 2000s, and players and friends began to suspect that Mr. Meredith was no longer as gung-ho about soccer. Adele Jackson-Gibson, a Yale goalkeeper who graduated in 2013 and is now a freelance writer in Brooklyn, said she “could feel people become more defeated over time.” She added, “People seem tired and a little bit checked out.” Some players, speaking on condition of anonymity so as not to be ensnared in the investigation, also began to notice a player or two, every couple of years, who did not belong on a Division I team, based on their skill level. Some of those players came from wealthy families, prompting speculation that their parents had donated money in exchange for coveted recruiting spots....

As Rudy Meredith was inducted into the Connecticut Soccer Hall of Fame in January to honor his 24-year run as Yale women’s soccer coach, he sprinkled his hallmark humor and humility throughout his remarks....Despite Mr. Meredith’s placid demeanor, people who knew him best had recently begun to detect changes in his behavior. He seemed to be more anxious. He appeared less enthusiastic about soccer, even before he resigned as Yale’s coach in November. He paid little attention to recruiting. He played poorly in pickleball, a paddle sport he usually excelled at....In a Boston hotel on April 12, 2018, Mr. Meredith solicited a $450,000 bribe from the parent of a prospective college student in exchange for saving a Yale soccer recruitment spot for his daughter. Mr. Meredith took $2,000 from the parent, and directed the parent to wire future payments to a bank account in Connecticut. But the F.B.I. was secretly recording the conversation, the charging documents said. Then six days later, the parent, who was working with the authorities, wired $4,000 to Mr. Meredith from a bank account in Boston that the F.B.I. controlled, giving the government evidence of wire fraud..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/s...gtype=Homepage

24. funinsun

funinsun Member

Jul 25, 2017
    How is the women’s coach not involved. No way that she did not know about this. He is the men’s coach. And the person is a female that was given a spot on the female roster.

Kurt Kline repped this.