YA Bust of the Year, Part II

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by numerista, May 3, 2006.

1. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Following TrueAggie's thread with a poll ... (first time I've tried posting one, so hopefully it's ok)

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Philipakos was so hyped, then he dropped to Greek 2nd division and I have no idea where he is right now. Oh well.

3. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I gotta say Howard, although it may be as much his teams' fault as his. I thought he'd get alot of play in some cups, but ManU crapped the bed in nearly all, so he never really got his shot and never got his chance to impress.

I really hope he gets somewhere where he can get regular starts and forces a top team to pick him up, because with the aging keepers on some of the top half of the table team ages, an in form Howard could be a huge asset in a few seasons.

4. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    damarcus beasley

what happened to him?

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    bah.

ever occur to you people to ask who was the best rather than finding a reason to bash another yank? there are enough doubting europeans to do that without us helping

6. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley had a sub-par year by his standards.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You left out "humbug." :)

If you're interested, by all means post some other polls. I'd vote. Curiously, not many of the Euros who visit this forum have participated in this one ... probably too upset that they can't pick more than one. :)

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but sub-par does not equal "bust".

Philippakos started the year on a top-flight team with European ambitions. He ended the year getting released from a second-flight club that hasn't won in two months. While DMB, Howard, Russell and several others were disappointments, this trophy should be named after Philippakos after the season he's had.

9. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Why is Whitbread on this list ?
    Blondie made 29 starts for Millwall. That's much much better than being on Liverpool's reserve side.

10. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    True, but you are still talking about a Millwall team that was relegated by 10 clear points. That's a long way down from the start of the year when it looked as if Whitbread might actually find a role in Liverpool's first team. In the pre-season, he started one Champions League qualifier and subbed into another. On opening day, he made the subs' bench. From there, however, things went downhill, and his only subsequent appearance was a 2-1 upset loss to Crystal Palace in the League Cup. In that defeat -- played mostly by first-teamers -- he was one of the culprits, and that led to him being loaned out to a club that was struggling in a lower division.

11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teetering between JOB and PP. JOB because there was so much hope that he'd be healthy and play and, quite honestly, none of his injuries ever seem bad. He just runs around and suddenly is hurt. PP because, well, he went bust this year.

PP is my vote. I hope to vote him come-back player of the year next year, but he's got some work to do.

12. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta go with Karby on this one. I know part of it's due to injuries...but he had alot of hype being in Arsenal's youth system only to be transfer listed by Burnley a year into his contract.

I am just going by this year, BTW...I hope he gets on with another team that will give him some quality minutes in the future.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ditto that. But i voted for JOB just because we know what he can do while PP is still a mystery to most of us.

14. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    I have to say JOB because he's proven to be so good with the little amount he's played over his career. After the Gold Cup, it looked like he might turn the corner and he never even made the opening game for Den Haag.

15. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    Probably practicing with his Starkick or ripping his shirt off "Incredible Hulk" style.

16. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    It's time for Peter Philipakos to leave the ranks of "Yanks Abroad" and come back to the States. MLS could use a young talented right wing player. A fresh start would be best for him, and if he's got the attitude of wanting to prove something it could be the best thing for him.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    What??

Never!

;)

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It seems a loaded question... I think it is relevant to expectations. You have Tim Howard who is playing at one of the biggest clubs in Europe who didnt make the grade, but does that make him a bust?

Meanwhile you have other players who were loaned out to less competitive circumstances who did OK.

Its a tough comparison...

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JOB b/c this is YA and he is not anymore