Xvid? Wtf?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by afgrijselijkheid, Nov 22, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    forgive me for my ignorance... ok so i downloaded a video which requires an XVID codec (actually it says XVID-FTS) - i downloaded two seperate XVID codecs and neither worked, couldn't find any FTS version

help appreciated

2. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    If you have divx installed and you downloaded the xvid codec, the movies should work with either divx or windows media player.
    Have you been to www.xvid.org?

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yes and about 3 other sites - i have divx, i have like 3 xvids, i downloaded the program that displays what codec is required and i have what it says.... still no video, only sound - what does the FTS mean, i think that could be the issue

4. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    Is it an .avi file? Maybe its just the file that's bad, I downloaded a movie where there was no sound once.

Whats that program called?

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

1-yes it is an avi

2-gspot

6. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    hey i'm having trouble with this. i downloaded some robot chicken things adn they won't play. i downloaded xvid but it still doesnt work. does anyone have any success with this program?

7. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    LINK with the same problem

That user needed ffdshow to play the file, which you can get HERE

I've been using it since my previous computer couldn't play the new DivX files anymore without going into slowmotion because it needed too much resources that my computer could spare, which wasn't a problem when I played the files using the ffdshow codec pack. Highly recommended even if it doesn't solve your problem (although it did for that user)

I'm using ffdshow alpha 20041003, but I see there is also a newer version available.

8. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    awesome. worked perfectly! thank you

9. OneGoodKnee

OneGoodKnee Member

Jun 5, 2003
    SLC, UT
    another option is

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I does a pretty efficient job of finding the necessary codecs without requiring user intervention

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been able to run Divx without any problems, I have Xvid downloaded but haven't used it yet. How does it compare to DIVX?

To everyone who posted links thanks.

11. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The problem wasn't really DivX with me, it was that my computer was over it's retirement age. That I could play the files normally with ffdshow, I was only saying that ffdshow uses less of your computer's power to play these files than DivX would. That's why I still use it now instead of DivX or Xvid (that it's all-in-one also helps) even though I can even play HDTV files easily now with my new comp. On my old comp it didn't even fit on my screen, much less play :D

I don't encode video files myself, so I don't need the individual codecs themselves. So I can't really answer the 2nd question, although Xvid was (is?) preferred over DivX to encode your own videos because you could get the same quality with a lower size in MB. Don't know how things are now though, haven't downloaded a DivX or Xvid codec for a while now.