Xm Radio - US Soccer

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by TheNewAmericaUnited, Mar 28, 2005.

1. TheNewAmericaUnited

Mar 25, 2005
    Colorado
    Here’s an idea. Since terrestrial radio doesn’t cover US soccer unless it’s in Spanish, how about the nice folks at XM creating a soccer channel. It could play some MLS games, some EPL games and most importantly…US National Team soccer!

Here’s the schedule:

Arsenal vs. Spurs 11 AM (live)
    MLS Game of the Night: Rapids vs. Real Salt Lick
    Soccer Hour (Call in show)
    Replay: US vs. Mexico

2. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i believe sirius already has the EPL

3. TheNewAmericaUnited

Mar 25, 2005
    Colorado
    That doesn't help me. I have chosen XM. Now I must live with it.

4. pollywood

pollywood New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Denvah via Boston
    I agree 100%. If XM can offer two stations for NASCAR, they should be able to offer a Soccer station. The only way to get English scores is the BBC station on Sat mornings, sometimes they offer ten-15 minutes of live games but it's not enough.

5. TheNewAmericaUnited

Mar 25, 2005
    Colorado
    Yeah, I listened to the BBC for this reason alone. I was tired of listening for hours at a time, hoping to get a soccer score or story.

They can get rid of the PAC-10 station and get some soccer.

6. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this sirius radio just one soccer station or does it have a few leagues and shows.

7. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    except NASCAR, at least at that level, is probably 3 or 4 times as popular as soccer, unfortunately. I fail to understand the apeal of that sport. I mean, there are NO RIGHT TURNS! Couldnt u just tie the steering wheel to the door??

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yeah, I have XM myself. Sirius has always had the better programming though.

9. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's plenty boring watching it - how does one manage to spend 2-3 hours listening to it on the radio?

I've listened to soccer, and even tennis, on the radio, but I played soccer, and even tennis. Maybe I need to drive in a circle for 500 miles to appreciate it.

Sorry, didn't mean to drift off topic.

10. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    Why don't you get dish network and get Fox Sports News (the versions from Canada and London) and have everything?

11. TheNewAmericaUnited

Mar 25, 2005
    Colorado
    Good thing I crap out money. :D

12. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have a channel which is devoted to live sports. They air Premiership games on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays.

Usually 7:30 and 10 am on Saturdays (ET). 11 am and 1 pm on Sundays.

13. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't that package cost like $60 a month or something

14. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    come on guys......get sirius(pun intended). i have it and love it. who here has listened to the EPL in the middle of the california desert watching a truck race? i have. sirius also has howard (king of kings) stern coming their way in about 9 months. also soccer america show or something of that sort wed on sirius.

15. TheNewAmericaUnited

Mar 25, 2005
    Colorado
    Stern sucks but EPL ...EPL.....hmmmm.

16. Metro00

Metro00 New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Short Hills
    XM radio should pick up some MLS games. They just signed a deal w/MLB so why not broadcast soccer too?

17. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    You can say that again, Stern is awful. Check out Opie and Anthony on 202 for some hilarious edgy radio.

Too stay on topic, it would be great if XM picked up some MLS games, I'm sure MLS would sign on for relatively cheap, but the question is, is there any interest?

18. Socrplyr

Socrplyr New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Red Bank
    I think there's enough interest to at least have one channel devoted to MLS games.

19. MetroNJ8

MetroNJ8 New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    NJ
    I agree. But if Sirius is better than XM, Sirius should cover the games.

20. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    You fail to what?? What you really are failing to understant is that NASCAR have people that know how to promote the sport in a effective and professional way the way we soccer fans dream about a soccer promotions, and the bad decisions keep going over and over and over...for instance last night game PUMAS/ DC UNITED was a game to be at least on ESPN ... but NADA the best we could do was to use the computer and tune to DC UNITED RADIO and its folkloric commentators :confused:

21. Lemieux

Lemieux Member

Aug 19, 2000
    Baltimore Federal Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe BBC World covers Premiership games occasionally on XM Radio. I listened to a West Ham FA Cup game on it once.

22. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    NASCAR is moving to Sirius in 2007.

Sirius owns the rights to broadcast EPL for this season and the next two. They have a game in pretty much every timeslot on which there are games, including games that air on PPV.

FSC is basically showing the entire CONCACAF Champions Cup.

23. DrGuinness

DrGuinness Home & Abroad

Apr 8, 2005
    Greeley, CO

I would only listen to Rapids games anyway...and that's free.