XI of the decade - 2010s

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Milan05, May 4, 2019.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #126 PuckVanHeel, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Looks good and I don't disagree too much.

The only one I'd certainly have much higher is Roy Keane. Between him joining Manchester United and 2001 there were two league titles he didn't win. That was 1995 and 1998 and he missed a chunk of games in both. Then there is also the 1999 Champions League where he had his moments. But I understand the perception he's not the most sophisticated and silky midfielder around. For me he is in that group just behind Xavi and Modric. Roy Keane vs Italy in 1994 (0-1 win for Ireland at the World Cup).

I'd have Gerrard down as an attacking midfielder (also in his mindset).

edit: bottomline remains Pirlo is not a good fit for this decade, even more so with the league in a lull period. When he played in the Champions League he faced teams adopting a pressing tactic and struggled much more (in Serie A pressing was more of a rarity). In a similar way, Xavi is not a good fit for this decade too.

PrimoCalcio repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  3. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
  4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #129 carlito86, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Casillas was a train wreck after 2012 and I personally don't even think he was real madrids best goalkeeper of the 2010s
    Van dijk has 1 CL title and 0 leagues in Europe's big 5 leagues
    Probably that speaks to the defensive quality this decade

That a player who has essentially won nothing can make world team of the decade
    There is a case for kroos over xavi this decade Purely because I think the latter has accumulated a greater body of work since 2010

Cristiano Ronaldo shouldnt be moved from his preferred position to accommodate anybody
    His position on the left is uncontested
    Messi can be on the right(as he was in 2014/15-arguably his prime)
    Suarez is the most prolific league CF of the 2010s
    He has also the most assists for a player his position
    He has also two European golden shoes and league MVPs in England and Spain

I'm sorry but there is no way he doesn't get on this team.

Tropeiro repped this.
  5. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Yes, you can argue Casemiro, Kroos and Modric over Busquets (a bit overrated imo), Xavi and Iniesta in this team.

I believe Neymar was a better player than Suarez, but without engineering the uruguayan would have a preference. Of course CR7 would have to be on the left.
    The question would be Robben vs Suarez, since Messi was as good on the right or as CF.

Someone can argue Alves and Marcelo over the others too.

Neuer in, Casillas (overrated here) out.

I would put Chiellini alongside Ramos for now too. The other option would Thiago Silva.

6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For me, Busquets is an automatic choice. Nobody even comes close for that DM position, which I'd argue has been as iconic a position as any of this decade.

Edhardy repped this.
  7. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I disagree in terms of peak performance but at least someone is talking about dm position.

People have problem with ronaldo playing a striker to accommodate neymar, but the fact xavi is dm nobody mentions.

Dani alves is a must. No problem with van dijk because his peak is way above anythung any other cd managed to produce. Perfect player.

Casillas is a joke. Neuer in.
    Cech. De Gea. Ter Stegen. Oblak. Courtois... so many great gks above Casillas.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As I said in this thread I would always pick players who were good in both halves of the decade, but to think Van Dijk was only good for two years is also too simplistic and isn't backed up by WhoScored and some more things (if you look back at it he had good games vs Barcelona, Inter in 2016 previously). Or that all the dismal defeats of Oranje came without him on the field, and the world record fee doesn't come out of nowhere (and he isn't Brazilian or English, which comes with a marketable bonus)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wm442433 repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Always be a bit careful with models like this (100% predictive power is unrealistic) but saw this today on who has the biggest (indirect) attacking contribution. Who contributes to the goals scored.

"It’s nice to note that Southampton’s “player of the match” under this system in their November 2017 meeting with Liverpool was none other than Virgil van Dijk. "
    https://www.infogol.net/en/blog/analysis/non-shot-xg-player-rating-system

10. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  11. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Edhardy repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I did not overlook him. It is possible to argue his 2018 tournament performance was the best of all players this decade in the way he was great in (at least) five games and also against the best teams. At the same time, his Champions League exploits are somewhat sub-par for a player of his caliber and 'natural' talent. I'd give that third spot to Robben (or Suarez).

Edhardy repped this.
  13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think it's possible to argue he was better as James Rodriguez 14
    Knocked out in the QF and was still the golden boot winner with a negligible amount of penalties(for Colombia -not a 'stacked team'by any stretch of definition)

Hazard 18 is becoming overrated it seems with every passing day
    Nobody called jay jay ocha 94 with 15 dribbles against Italy (a defensive juggernaut )a historic performance

Why is 10 completed dribbles against Brazil 18 more impressive?
    Have the standards of great international performances dropped so low

Fact is hazards relatively low end product for a free scoring Belgium NT prevents his 18 tournament from being considered as anything more than good

I think he belongs to the ibrahimovic tier which is a rung below that of robben,luis suarez and neymar Jr

Afghan-Juventus and Tropeiro repped this.
  14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #139 carlito86, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Maybe becausef xavi has already been proven as a world class DM in FC Barcelonas's 2005/06 champions league title winning season

CR's prime was either as a left midfielder in the noughties
    Or a left wing forward in the 10s
    There are no other (worthy)candidates for this position

There are only 2-3 positions that aren't up for debate IMO
    The obvious two and most probably Manuel neur between the sticks

XavI is a cross generational player
    and 2009 is very crucial to his legacy
    His prime almost directly coincides with Messi and Ronaldo despite being much older
    That's why his position is contentious and subject to some maneuvering

Even if kroos and modric have a greater body of work the best of xavi is still a level above and beyond any midfielder this decade

'Big game performances' use to be a thing that posters used to inflate certain players legacies
    Xavi has more great major final performances this decade than those two combined
    Manchester United 2011
    Italy 2012

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #140 carlito86, Jan 3, 2020
    Interesting statistic I read the other day left me scratching my head
    Sergio ramos has been voted 9 times in the fifa team of the year during the 2010s
    But only made la liga team of the season once during that time period
    :confused:

16. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Definitely can't have him ahead of CR7 and he has got some HMs but when I see the formation tweaked to make room for a fourth attacker, it seems Neymar is the automatic choice on the left side. Has Neymar's decade been better than Hazard's?

17. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    In the CL he has certainly underwhelmed or not participated enough. If Messi & Cristiano play in their best positions then Suarez is the leading choice, ahead of Lewandowski, Ibra, Cavani and Aguero. If Messi moves to False-9 then surely Robben is the automatic choice on the right. What if CR7 is this team's number 9, how does Hazard compare with Ribery and Neymar

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I tried to look back at the best of the decade and this is what I had:

100. Lacazette
    99. Handanovic
    98. Vertonghen
    97. Diego Costa
    96. Javi Martinez
    95. Gotze
    94. Keylor Navas
    93. Fernandinho
    92. Mane
    91. Nainggolan
    90. Varane
    89. Mbappe
    88. Koulibaly
    87. Mandzukic
    86. Mata
    85. Icardi
    84. Marchisio
    83. Koke
    82. Lukaku
    81. Pepe
    80. Hamsik
    79. Matuidi
    78. Mertens
    77. Di Natale
    76. James Rodriguez
    75. Pedro
    74. Dzeko
    73. Casemiro
    72. Kimmich
    71. Thiago Alcantara
    70. Falcao
    69. Verratti
    68. Eriksen
    67. Jerome Boateng
    66. Yaya Toure
    65. Mascherano
    64. Lloris
    63. Dybala
    62. Pjanic
    61. Isco
    60. Oblak
    59. Van Dijk
    58. Rooney
    57. Van Persie
    56. Tevez
    55. Alba
    54. Rakitic
    53. Sterling
    52. Salah
    51. Kante
    50. Kompany
    49. Alaba
    48. Bonucci
    47. Pirlo
    46. Courtois
    45. Aubameyang
    44. Alonso
    43. Fabregas
    42. Kane
    41. Schweinsteiger
    40. Pogba
    39. Di Maria
    38. Chiellini
    37. De Gea
    36. Thiago Silva
    35. Griezmann
    34. Alexis Sanchez
    33. Hummels
    32. Higuain
    31. Marcelo
    30. Muller
    29. Xavi
    28. De Bruyne
    27. Ribery
    26. Benzema
    25. Aguero
    24. Cavani
    23. Ozil
    22. Kroos
    21. Godin
    20. Vidal
    19. Buffon
    18. Ramos
    17. Dani Alves
    16. Lahm
    15. Bale
    14. Pique
    13. Ibrahimovic
    12. Neuer
    11. Robben
    10. David Silva
    9. Hazard
    8. Iniesta
    7. Neymar
    6. Lewandowski
    5. Busquets
    4. Modric
    3. Suarez
    2. Ronaldo
    1. Messi

PDG1978 and Edhardy repped this.
  19. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #144 carlito86, Jan 3, 2020
    690.jpg
    The comparison is only legit in certain seasons wherein neymar hadn't yet peaked as in 2014/15

Whoscored gave them a very comparable score and till this day 14/15 remains hazards highest rated campaign at league and champions league

Neymar then took it up a level
    (Outside of Messi and CR) Only suarez and robben reached this level
    The former in Oct-Dec 2013
    the latter in 09/10 and the first half of 14/15

These are the 5 outstanding attackers of the last 10 years
    And in all honesty perhaps the last 20 years also

20. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Yes. Neymar is as good as ball carrier as Hazard plus he has way more assists and goals, and still perhaps worked harder on the defense than the belgian in his Barcelona time.

Neymar not as focal point of his team (Barcelona) 0.91 Non-PK Goals + Assists per 90 ==> 1.23 Non-PK Goals + Assists per 90 minutes for PSG.
    Champions League 1.07 NPK Goals + Assists per 90 minutes.
    https://fbref.com/en/players/69384e5d/Neymar
    https://fbref.com/en/players/a39bb753/Eden-Hazard
    https://www.optasportspro.com/news-analysis/blog-identifying-progressive-ball-carriers/

21. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    @carlito86 that's a good point, numbers are definitely in Neymar's favour. With that said, I see their roles as being subtley different and Hazard spent a good chunk of the decade playing for managers that preferred to keep things tight at the back before unleashing their attacker's potential. Chelsea was also not among the super teams in Hazard's time whereas Barca and PSG most definitely were.

@Tropeiro technically Neymar is just as good a dribbler for sure, but across the whole decade Hazard showed it more and even with less assists was a more constant threat moving forward (dribbles, being fouled, passes into final third). A more penetrative player, granted Neymar himself is no slouch in that regard.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/08/12/hazard-was-the-closest-thing-to-messi-the-epl-will-ever-see/

22. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Neymar is in Europe since 2013/2014, Hazard's numbers are from 2010 till now, so he has advantage in total numbers.

IMO Hazard just match Neymar's performance in dribbles and being fouled. Neymar produces twice the number of assists and Non-PK Goals than Hazard. Even in that match Brazil vs Belgium in 2018, Neymar (not fit) probably generated more danger than the Belgian (xA + xG). Neymar is better creator and reach better goalscoring positions than Hazard too.

Statsbombs about passes into final third is in Passing, Club Collapsed here: https://fbref.com/en/players/a39bb753/Eden-Hazard https://fbref.com/en/players/69384e5d/Neymar
    Neymar has more passes into the final third, into the PA and through balls too than Hazard per 90 minutes.

23. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think G+A numbers can be explained
    1. Role/Position - Neymar is a wing forward, Hazard is a wide playmaker (Ribery, Figo etc). How often do either of them lose the ball f.e.
    2. Strength of team - PSG and especially Barcelona were just so much better than the Chelsea Hazard played for. In terms of head to head (Mata, Willian, Pedro together can't equal Messi, and Costa, Giroud are steps below Suarez, Mbappe, Cavani. This without talking of Iniesta, Xavi, Rakitic, Verratti, Di Maria, Alves, Alba). There is a wide gap in the creative and finishing capabilities of both support casts which surely would affect the goals and assist numbers. Then with respect to how much better they are than their league competitors. It's remarkable that Hazard won two league titles as Chelsea were not favourites either time.
    3. Style of play - it's quite something that literally every manager in Hazard's Chelsea tenure save Sarri (21G+15A) had a safety first approach. We've seen what Hazard can do under Sarri and Rudi Garcia.

Any one of these reasons can explain the difference in their outputs, but Hazard has to overcome all three, and IMO he has for the most part.

24. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I am very surprised at the low importance that Casillas is given by some of us in this forum. I cannot be blamed for lack of objectivity because I am a fan of Barcelona, but thanks to Iker Casillas, Real Madrid and the Spanish team have been able to achieve important titles. Spain has been the origin of great goalkeepers throughout history, but in recent decades, without a doubt, Casillas has been the best. From Gea? With all due respect, it is (even in its best years) much inferior. Believe me that in the national team we long for the times when Casillas defended the goal of the Spanish team.
    However, it is true that if we refer to the merits accumulated throughout the decade, Neuer, Buffon and Courtois, they would clearly be above Casillas.

25. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #150 Tropeiro, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    No, imo he hasn't.

Neymar's direct participation in Barcelona and PSG goals are superior to Hazard's direct participation in Chelsea goals or now with Real Madrid, plus he is as good as Hazard in progress the ball with either passes or dribbling, also Neymar is more involved in build plays than Hazard.
    In fact Neymar in league is involved in 1.32 expected goals with his possesions vs Hazard's 0.70 (xG Chain). 1.32 is very close than the 1.36 of Messi.
    Neymar is also more consistent than Hazard.

But well... let's see now Hazard in La Liga. For now, I would say that on form Neymar is better than Hazard, just more dangerous and objective player. In fact even Pulisic was disputing Hazard xA+xG. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/chelseas-slump-wont-necessarily-be-fixed-by-more-attackers/

PD: Neymar loses the ball more often than Hazard (around X+1.5), but he also complete more dribbles and is more fouled per 90 minutes than Hazard (around X+1.5 as well). Just as good as progressing the ball with his dribbles tho.

carlito86 repped this.