XFL relaunching...wonder if MLS stadiums will be in the mix

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by NashSC, Jan 25, 2018.

1. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #1 NashSC, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    It was announced today that Vince McMahon is relaunching the XFL. He says he will start with 8 cities in 2020. 10 week season. 2 hour games (total time not playing time). He will own all the teams.

Just wondering if they come knocking on the door of MLS teams for stadiums. I can't see NFL teams wanting to share. Not sure about NCAA teams sharing. Seems some of the MLS stadiums would be a good fit.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

2. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    MLS stadiums would be a good fit. I bet McMahon tries to rent some of them. The new XFL will be a ten week season, so there will be five home games. How much do you think MLS teams will charge for five games?

Does anyone know how much the LA Chargers paid to use StubHub Center this season?

3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, when done right, it's a nice change for MLS to be the landlord ($$), rather than the renter.
    With the XFL, just get the entire rent check in cash, in advance :D

4. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bridgeview could use the extra money.

5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the location plan is like last time, it's two or three big cities, then several smaller ones; the largest without NFL are most desirable, of course. But the right stadium in each place is key, so I can see interest in MLS facilities, and potentially nice but not huge college fields.

New York, LA, and Chicago each have suitable MLS-owned stadiums. The NFL has teams in all the markets well over 3 million, but that leaves some good places. San Diego and St. Louis would be great if a good facility could be found. Sacramento, too.
    But several places around that size have well suited stadiums but no NFL, like Portland, Orlando, Salt Lake, or Columbus. I wouldn't be surprised if most of a 6-10 team league played in MLS facilities.

NashSC repped this.
  6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But will they settle who gets the ball to start the game in the same fashion??? That's what everyone is waiting on!

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know you're joking, but they announced no "gimmick" rules this time around.

8. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Vince McMahon isn't going to run out of money anytime soon so the rent shouldn't be a problem. What is though, is that no minor league of the most popular sport in the country seems to last more than a few years.

9. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want the soccer lines to be permanent, and the grid lines to be a temporary yellow for once!