X-Men: First Class [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody seen this. I loved all the previous X-Men movies, but had never read the comics. Anyway, I was hoping to check this out next week and wasn't sure if anybody had any thoughts on the movie.

2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: X-Men: First Class

Saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Dark Knight is probably the only comic book movie that tops it. I was surprised that Fox didn't tack on post processing 3D and charge an extra 5 bucks.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saw it today as well and thought that it's the best X-Men movie yet. Oh and...

F*ck off!

4. flameofrecca

flameofrecca Red Card

May 24, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I was suppose to watch this this movie last night but wasn't able to get on time in theater... hahaha :)
    but I will watch this with may siter.. with free ticket... so good... LOL :)

5. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just saw it. Very hokey dialogue at times, and predictable dramatic beats. But, thoroughly enjoyable overall. It was a bit sillier than I expected, but once I just accepted the campiness it was very fun.

Also, [result] there are very clear and, I believe, intentional references to gay rights. Especially with Darwin and Havoc; I bet an earlier version of the script made that all more explicit. Kind of a shame it got cut, IMO.[/result]

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

It seems to be getting pretty good reviews, especially Fassbender as Magneto. I might see it after all, even though I wrote off cinematic X-men after the disaster that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

x3 didnt do it for you first?

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

X-3 wasn't great, but it had some redeeming qualities and most of the cast from the first two Brian Singer movies.

The Wolverine movie was a mess from start to finish.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I liked Wolverine. Am I the only one? Like I said in my first post, I was never a comics guy, so I had no built-in allegiance to the story. I just thought it was a fun movie.

10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

I couldn't *quite* warm up to the movie simply because I'd read the Origins graphic novel (for the first time) not too long before I read the movie was coming out. It was ... different, but I didn't think it was bad.

As for X3, I mean, c'mon -- Cyclops died! That was worth the admission price right there. :eek: :D

==

Oh, and I haven't seen the new one yet, but I plan on doing so tomorrow.

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH

I'd heard such bad things about it that when I finally got around to it, it actually seemed decent. Though I do remember thinking it went downhill over the 2nd act.

12. flameofrecca

flameofrecca Red Card

May 24, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I heard a lot of good feedback about this movie...
    unfortunately until now I wasn't able to see this... but maybe this week i'll watch it.... :)

13. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC

shitty movie, nuff said

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Is Betty Draper any good as The White Queen? I have this feeling she might ruin the movie for me...

15. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Saw it over the weekend, not bad at all. Actors who played the leads were pretty good, especially Magneto.

16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly, she plays it JUST LIKE Betty Draper in a bad mood. Which, for me, kind of worked.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

That's what I was afraid of... :eek:

Of course it's easy to critique, but I can't honestly think of another actress who obviously would have done a better job. The White Queen is a tricky character to cast.

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Agreed. It was a real movie -- but with some action scenes thrown in. Of course, I've always enjoyed the back stories of the characters more than the action bits and what's happening in the here and now. If that makes sense.

Magneto was great, I loved how they introduced us to Hank [result] and me thinking, 'Uhhh, he's not blue. Or furry.'[/result], and I loved, loved, loved seeing more of Mystique. In the comic, Storm was my fave. (Thanks, Halle Berry.) But in the movie series, I warmed up to Mystique quite a bit. Not sure why.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

You have a think for mrs. Jerry O'Connell? ;)

20. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

No. I mean, it's strange, but I don't have a thing for her at all. I know -- it sounds so bizarre coming from me. :eek: But I dig the character. And just the character.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Well she is interesting in that it should be fairly easy for her to hide her mutant traits yet she chooses not to.

22. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

That's dealt with in this movie.

:)

===

Meant to add -- I sat through all the credits -- all umpteen million -- and there was no extra scenes at the end. (Unless it was just my theater.) Thought I'd give y'all a heads up, in case any of you do that sort of thing.

23. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, since nobody but me has brought it up yet-- for those who have seen the film:

[result]Havoc and Darwin are definitely gay, right? They have the knowing touch while playing pinball. Then, the look and unspoken communication they share when Darwin is going to try to get Havoc to kill Sebastian Shaw. Am I seriously the only one who picked up on this?

Not to mention the other not-so-subtle references to gay rights-- including the way in which Xavier "outs" Hank when he sees him.

To be clear-- I don't mean this as criticism. I appreciate the attempt to link the film to contemporary issues. [/result]

24. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005

I didn't pick up on that at all. I don't think that was what they were going for.

25. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huh. Maybe I'm crazy, but I came out of the theater as sure of this as a straight white dude can be about such things. I'll have to re-watch eventually.