WYSIWYG or other HTML editors

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Beau Dure, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Let's say you were doing a Web site for a nonprofit, and the editors offered with small-business hosting at Yahoo and Microsoft just weren't quite cutting it for you. (Actually, the editor at Microsoft is OK, but their e-mail services won't work for us.)

What editor would you use? Must be cheaper (by many multiples) than Dreamweaver or whatever Microsoft is using to replace Frontpage. Clean code would be a plus, as opposed to all the crap many WYSIWYGs throw in there.

I have a student copy of Visual Studio, but that seems like overkill. (Maybe I could use Visual Studio to do the redesign and then pass it over to something simpler for updates. I plan to incorporate a blog feed and a Google Calendar feed so other folks can easily participate.)

I could do it all in Notepad if I had to, but I'd prefer not to rely so much on my hand-coding while I'm redesigning the site as well. For simple updates, that'll work just fine. But it seems like I should be able to get a simple editor to do what I need.

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How cheap? I've heard that Expression Web is good. I'm a Visual Studio developer though, so I've never used it.

I think the upgrade from Front Page is around 100 bucks.

3. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    LookingToProperlyIntroduceMyselfToAnIcelandicGirl
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I only handcode and very very rarely use dreamweaver to code coz it sucks simply coz I can do the same stuff on an editor without wasting so much cpu usage.

I use EditPlus for Windows and BBedit or Taco HTML Edit for the macs.

Editplus is very cheap, but you can actually use it your whole life in the trial mode, and you won't have any problems with it. All this editors colour code tags, errors, comments, etc...

check them out.

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'll check out Editplus -- thanks.

Years ago, when I did a lot of coding, I used HomeSite, which I believe was unfortunately incorporated into Dreamweaver and forgotten.