Wynalda wants MLS to change it's season to match rest of world...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Coyote89, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before so I'll apologize up front for being relatively new and reintroducing and old topic. But it's part of Eric Wynalda's platform for USSF President so it's nevertheless timely and relevant. Let's ignore the fact that the USSF Prez probably can't and won't impose a change like that on MLS unless they were willing to adopt it. I'm just curious about the pros and cons.

I really worry about playing a significant number of MLS games in the cold-weather months, particularly in cold-weather climates. It could kill attendance for 30-40% of the season. On one hand, the winter games are not a big deal down here in the south, so it wouldn't affect us all equally. But imagine playing games in Toronto, Minneapolis, and New England Dec-Feb. Could be brutal.

That said, the league would get a lot more attention in the 2nd half of the year and during the playoffs if not directly competing with pro and college football for air time. It would also eliminate the awkward portions of the schedule that don't align with international breaks and put the US on the same transfer windows as everyone else.

Thoughts?

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we start with the title and make it accurate to what you're actually talking about? Change "rest of world" to "England, Germany, Spain, and Italy's" season.

3. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    His words, not mine, but yes, he's referring primarily to the European calendar. Not sure I agree with Wynalda on this as I think the weather is a huge factor for the US.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "part of Europe" calendar that is...

Minnman and oknazevad repped this.
  5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don’t understand the thought process of changing the schedule. You’re going to start the year in August, right when the nfl starts. Then you’re going to be head to head with football, hockey, and basketball for most of the season, and your playoffs compete with the NBA, NHL playoffs and the mlb regular season. I think going on that schedule is an absolutely terrible idea.

On any given Sunday in November in Los Angeles, there can be 2 nfl games, 2 nhl games, and an nba game. Soccer just isn’t popular enough yet that it would be able to stand up to those other sports. It might be fine in places like Kansas City, Portland, and places that don’t have nfl or nba teams, but how many people are going to stay home instead of going to a soccer game when is 20 degrees and a blizzard outside?

Personally, one of the things that’s always draw me to soccer has been that nothing was going on in the summer. I’m a big mlb fan but I can follow soccer one or two days a week while keeping up with baseball. If I’m being honest, I pay way less attention to mls once the nfl starts.

I tend to agree that the schedule change would make it way easier for MLS to become a top league, but I think people like Wynalda are wayyy overestimating soccer’s current place in the American sports landscape and I don’t believe the change would work right now.

6. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    For over ten years the ASL had a September to May schedule. How did that work out for them?

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's referring to a fall-spring calendar so MLS can align with the international transfer windows, which would greatly benefit the league's ability to participate in the global market. MLS is almost non existent on the transfer market, both in selling for profit and buying to improve as MLS teams want to buy when most leagues are mid season and other teams want to buy from MLS when it's in mid season.

I think in your OP you implied playing games games Dec-Feb. Wynalda has suggested a winter break, not unlike the Bund. I've always thought playing the most important games in good April/May weather makes more sense than having them in late Nov/early Dec.

Anyhow, MLS doesn't have to listen to Wynalda if he wins.

8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with your reasoning here. I think MLS hasn't aggressively participated in the transfer market because it hasn't been interested in doing so. Pre-TAM, there wasn't really room to do it anyway, as teams wanted continuity from their limited DP spots.

9. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    #9 Coyote89, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Isn't the Bundesliga "break" only about 2 weeks? They still play a ton of matches from Dec-Feb (about 4 per month, plus various tournaments). Consider what NFL playoff games are like in Dec/Jan. I don't see soccer fans in northern climates showing up in snow, freezing rain, or bitter cold and it would affect the quality of play as well for at least 1/3rd of the season. In places like Minnesota, Toronto, Boston, NY, Chicago, Montreal, Vancouver, Denver, Philly, etc. it would be brutal. If we went to a fall-spring schedule, we'd need a massive winter break, like they have in Russia where it lasts for 3 months (last fall match is Dec 10 and they don't play again until early March). But that doesn't exactly align with the rest of Europe.

Plus, aligning our transfer window with the Big 5 European leagues helps with buying or selling players in the off-season rather than mid-season, but how big a benefit is that really? Other professional sports leagues have mid-season trade deadlines and it's not a big deal. Plus, a lot of our transactions are with Liga MX or South American leagues.

The biggest benefit I see in moving the calendar is that the playoffs would be in the spring rather than the late fall. But is that really a benefit? With spring playoffs, you're competing for attention with the NBA, NHL, early part of MLB season, NCAA March Madness (which actually concludes in April), the Masters, the KY Derby, the Indy 500, plus the stretch run for the European soccer leagues. How is that better than holding the championship during the latter part of the NFL regular season and in the gap between the regular season and bowls for NCAA football? It's also a time when baseball is over and basketball and hockey are just getting started. Aside from the awkward international break, it's actually not bad timing IYAM. And we could eliminate the problem with the international break by getting rid of the 2-leg format for the conference semi's and finals and just going to single-elimination throughout the playoffs with the higher seed hosting each round.

In fact, consider that MLS currently gets better attendance in the fall than in the spring.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A month. Hoffenheim (the team I follow) will play on Dec. 16th then not again until Jan 13th.

edcrocker repped this.
  11. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    That's still a LOT of games in Dec, Jan, and Feb. I see that Bayern Munich has 11 league fixtures from Deb-Feb for example, plus a 12th game on March 1. Plus, they have in-season tournament games during those months as well.

A schedule like that would be brutal in the northern parts of the US and possibly kill attendance. I certainly wouldn't buy a season ticket if I knew 1/3rd of the games were going to be played in the winter where I'd be freezing my butt-off and I sure wouldn't be able to convince my wife or daughters to attend games like that either. Mind you, I'm not referring to Atlanta in this scenario as we have a dome and can close the roof. But most other teams play outdoors and many are in cold climates.

And I could talk for days on why pro/rel is NOT right for MLS at this time. It would kill investment in a young, growing league.

In short, my first impression of Wynalda is he's full of bravado but doesn't seem to have really thought things through. He seems to have a mindset that the US needs to copy Europe whether that actually makes sense for us or not.

JasonMa and Cavan9 repped this.
  12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I like the schedule as is in terms of fitting in the domestic sports landscape. Playoffs in November and MLS Cup in December has become one of my favorite sport stretches of the year.

Lookingforleftbacks and Cavan9 repped this.
  13. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't buy a season ticket for DC United if that means I need to stand outside in 30 degree weather in December, January and February. I've been buying season tickets since 2013 and intend to keep doing so but don't see multiple regular season games in freezing cold temperatures as a good value for my money. I have no problem walking around or playing soccer in 30 degree weather but it's miserable being outside for 4 hours to tailgate and watch a game for anything other than an MLS Cup.

Keep in mind that 30 degrees in January is warm in places like Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, Salt Lake City, and St. Paul. 30 degrees is pretty normal in DC, Philadelphia, New York, Columbus, Kansas City, and Denver. Seattle and Portland are usually in the 40's and rainy, which is awful. That leaves Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, and San Jose as MLS cities that don't have truly crummy weather in December, January, and February. Atlanta and Vancouver play indoors.

Wynalda is clueless and unfit for the job. He has said nothing about better developing the talent we already have. Just gimmicks from a some crummy eurosnob thread on any back-bench website.

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil plays a "summer" schedule which for them is the winter.

15. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the temperatures in even the furthest south point of Brazil, this makes sense.

Again, the best schedule for any particular league is based on local factors, particularly the weather in its hottest and coldest locations.

El-ahrairah and JasonMa repped this.
  16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why having the US go to a European winter schedule (which doesn't apply to Norway, Sweden and Finland who all still play in the summer) is stupid. Even with the MLS summer schedule, there have been some very cold games (MLS Cup 2013 rings a bell), so imagine that type of weather in January/February or snow games like what we had in April during those times. Once or twice a year is interesting, but for most of the schedule is just plain stupid.

oknazevad and Cavan9 repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually heard that some European countries, like Germany, would prefer playing more games in the Summer. There's much better attendance.

Cavan9 repped this.
  18. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heresy! Shun the unbeliever!

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blessed are the cheesemakers....

oknazevad, xtomx, Cavan9 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2017 the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Final was 48 days before the last day of the Premier League season, and MLS Cup will be 48 days after the end of the regular season. Therefore if MLS Cup was played when the Premier League season ended, the MLS regular season could end on the Sunday in between the NCAA Semifinals and Final. The Masters, Kentucky Derby, and Indianapolis 500 are all one day events. Playoffs in April and May would be competing with the NBA and NHL. I'd rather MLS compete with MLB that ends during the MLS playoffs and football that is mostly on the weekend than compete with the NBA, NHL, and NCAA sports (which are off during the summer and less popular in spring so they don't provide major competition with MLS from April through late August). Maybe if at least 10 of the best 100 players who change leagues were coming to MLS then I would care about lining up the transfer window, but now I don't

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #edmontonnot4mls

upload_2017-11-22_12-52-46.png

Coyote89 and EvanJ repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same discussion could be made about many of the Scandinavian leagues and much of the former USSR.

The Gulf Stream has an enormous influence on moderating much of Western and Central Europe's weather. And example Rome is actually NORTH of a city like Columbus, where I live. The climate is significantly different.

Cavan9 repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia play March/April to November. The Russian Premier League has a 3 month winter break.

I know about the Gulf Stream, I'm English, without it we'd have winters like Norway.
    upload_2017-11-22_13-52-41.png

JasonMa repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, Russia used to play a spring summer fall season.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They used to but switched to the "FIFA calendar" 7 or 8 years ago.