Wynalda to Bruce Arena: It's "now or never" for Taylor Twellman

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    does anyone grasp the difference between international and club soccer?

some that score at the club level will never be a success in the international scene, i mean look at jason kreis for goodness sake...he was/is a great scorer for the the burn but he never did shit for the us national team. it's two totally different ballgames...

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all of the McBride isn't playing good at the MLS level, go back and note the Crew's record in games he plays in versus games he doesn't. Then actually watch the game instead of reading the stats column at MLSNET.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did this become Big Baseball? :)

4. mjtate

mjtate Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Westerville, OH
    People keep knocking Taylor's speed, but it is no worse than McBride's. Neither a burners. Taylor has shown a greater ability to finish in traffic, and position himself for chances. McBride has the better international record, but most of that at this point is due to opportunity.

Taylor may not have what it takes at the top level, but he's shown enough ability to get that chance. All the games he's played before were either as a late game sub in friendlies, when most players aren't going all out, when he was sick, or he played with a weak midfield. Give him a few full games with Beasley, Reyna, Lewis, Ralston. If he still sucks after than, then stick with McBride, but Taylor has earned a good chance.

5. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Just a couple comments to throw in to the mix:

1) A sizeable portion of Taylor Twellman's national team minutes came in a tough game working basically as a lone striker against Argentina. He worked extremely hard to knock down the ball, hold it and move it around for other players - but he was a bit limited by the fact he had three defenders draped over him. He has not had an opportunity (to this point) to play consistantly with a top partner (Jovan Kirovski doesn't count, right Voros) or with a decent midfield.

2) Brian McBride is one of the few players in MLS who has skills that are simply beyond most of the players around him. I am not saying that he is heads and shoulders above other players. Simply that he has better field vision and recognition than most of the guys around him. When he is playing with guys that possess similar vision and recognition, they get him the ball and he finishes the job (or vice versa). This is the reason why he scores consistantly for the USMNT and why he scored consistantly for Everton. He has very underrated skills and combines well with other top-shelf players.

3) Brian McBride is one of the most effective "two-way" forwards in USMNT history. Where are we at our greatest disadvantage against top international opponents - did I hear defending set pieces? I thought so. Without Brian McBride marking in the box - we would not show as well as we do in international competition. There simply isn't another forward who works so hard in both directions - or is rugged and physical enough to play in both boxes. Taylor Twellman is one forward who may be able to add this to his game with more hard work. As it is, he is not as good tracking back (in fact he tends to attempt too many tackles from behind).

Brian McBride is not the fastest player and he doesn't have the best shot (his release is painfully slow) or foot skills - although in all these areas he is sneaky good. But his work-rate, anticipation, recognition and commitment make him very effective. He will continue to be an effective player for a couple years, barring major injuries.

A good comparison to BMB is Niall Quinn of the Ireland team. As recently as World Cup 2002, Quinn struck fear in the hearts of Spain (earning a penalty) simply because he was physically so strong and capable of initiating "pinball in the box" by heading the ball onto advancing players. This despite the fact that he was 36, had a deteriorating back and had scored 10 or more goals in the EPL maybe twice in his career. I think it is better than even money BMB will be on World Cup 2006, even if he is no longer a starter because of his skills as a complementary player.

4) Edson Buddle and Taylor Twellman are both fabulous prospects. Taylor has good skill with either foot. He finishes from all over the box. He is strong in the air and finds seams in the defense when he doesn't have the ball.

I for one am extremely impressed with Buddle whenever I have seen him. He passes well, he sees his teammates, he has good pace and more importantly good change of pace. He has a hard, quick shot. He scores well off of set pieces and works well in traffic for a guy with gifted ball skills. Finally, he is fabulous at (tactically, not selfishly) holding the ball. He has tons of raw talent, making it likely that he has a lot more room for improvement if he can ever stay healthy. The fact that he can move back to the midfield and continue to be very effective demonstrates the strength of his all-around game.

Where TT and EB will have to improve, however, is their ability to adjust to smaller openings and much less time to line up their shot. The closing speed and organization of high-level international defenses is on a different level from the typical MLS defense (which relies more on preemptive, physical marking than zonal systems with extremely quick and skillful defenders). That said, I agree that a person who consistantly finishes and "manufactures" chances at the MLS level is likely to be able to succeed against most of the opponents that the USMNT faces.

Personally, I think that the greatest area of his game that TT (and EB) need to work on in order for BA to pick them regularly are their skill off the ball and in defense. In the current flavor of the international game, it is not acceptable to have an offensive player who just disappears for large sections of the match (aka vintage Romario). The USMNT plays an athletic, physical, team-based counterattacking style. If you don't force your way into being involved in the game (even if it is tracking back and playing defense in order to spring other players on counterattacks), you will not get lots of playing time.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally, the voice of reason! I've said this same thing 2 times, but noone has listened. McBride is not ONE STEP faster than Twellman. All I've been arguing for is giving this guy a chance to be one of the guys in the mix. Buddle and Twellman are clearly playing the best right now, and Buddle is just as fast as LD. This could be a great pairing of size and skill. McBride would be 34 at the next world cup and if we are depending on him in 2006, we may as well throw our chances in the crapper right now! We need to throw these newer dawgs into the fight and see if they can scrap before we get too close to the huge qualifying games where we will be too nervous to do it!

7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think McBride and Twellman are pretty close at this point in their careers, with McBride likely to go down and Twellmen up, so I'm OK with Wynalda's comments. Although, if I had a must win game against a tough team, I would likely pick McBride.

I think this whole debate points out a bigger problem with US soccer these days.

If guys like McBride, Donovan, Pablo, etc... are so damn good and clear picks for the US team, they ALL need to get off their asses and play like it in MLS. Watching the difference in these guys playing hard and running hard for the US and then loafing around the field for their MLS teams is at times pathetic.

I'd be more than happy to see Bruce stop giving call ups to guys who don't produce in the league for a year or two until they understand that being a top player means being a top player wherever you are playing, every time you take the field.

We could still beat up on the early round CONCACAF minnows using the likes of Buddle, Twellman, Ralston and others. We'd have plenty of time a year or more from now to start welcoming guys back into the fold once they get their *#*#*#*# together.

We may be a weaker team in the short term, but if it could motivate players to understand they have to play hard every game in the league, it could raise the level of MLS play, it could mean a long term benefit for the national team.

8. 4mybroRRT

4mybroRRT Member

Apr 10, 2001
    N. VA - DCU-land
    Good day Mr. Wynalda: Twellman is and will be another Razov

Good day Mr. Wynalda,
    I appreciate your enthusiam about the abilities of Taylor Twellman and I believe he deserves more opportunities to show what he can do at the International level.
    However, what is missing from Twellman's game is the speed necessary to contend/compete with national team defenders and defensive mid-fielders at the International level. And when I say "international", I mean National Team sides - outside of Mexico- that are present in Europe and South America. Taylor is just too slow, very similiar to the problems Razov has experience against "good" National sides with World-class defenders. He'll fair well with the Honduras' and Costa Rica's, but have no chance against the Turkey's, Cameroon's, even the tireless South Koreans. Of course, those National sides I see as our peer group, not the elite National sides.
    Twellman is too damn slow and his athletic ability is "already" at its maximum. I believe the focus on 2006 will be players with more speed and athletic ability at their "apex and maximum" in 2005-2006. Players with the ability of an Edson Buddle, Kyle Martino, Eddie Gaven, yes..even a Freddie Adu would stand to fair better because of their physical matuation in three years, and more important, skill on the ball. Who's to say, an Eddie Johnson, Santino Quaranta, Aleco Eskadarian, Cunningham, or another Clint Mathis- "player out-of-nowhere" comes along in the next two years.
    Arena has proven he knows how to coach - at any level. He obviously has seen and knows the expectations of the international game. Who's calling for Twellman from the top European leagues a la Convey, Beasley, or Mathis. Twellman needs the opportunity, but I don't even think he's fared well in the US National practices-injury or not. Pierce has a better chance of making the National side line-up than Twellman.
    Twellman will be know in MLS like Razov and Kreis, but not make the adjusment at the next level. He would fare not well overseas just like Razov. All because he is too slow and defenders are a hell of a lot more athletic, faster, and accelated for the offensive trasition than 1998.
    I trust Arena knows exactly why he needs to look elsewhere - and so does Twellman.

9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But McBride is much more than "ONE STEP" stronger and much more than "ONE STEP" better in the air. That is why McBride plays. He's there to win headers and hold the ball. Some people call this a target forward.

I'm failing to see how Twellman is going to replace McBride. He simply doesn't play the same position. Buddle or Conor Casey yeah, but Twellman? It would mean Bruce going with a different style of team altogether.

The problem is that we have Donovan and use to have Wolff and Mathis competing for the stretch and create role. Twellman fits much more into this spot but now you have to say Twellman is a lot more than "ONE STEP" slower than Donovan and Wolff.

Beyond all this I'd like to mention that when Everton originally tried to buy McBride their manager said this paraphrased, "He shouldn't stay in Columbus, they do not even know how to use him."

10. 4mybroRRT

4mybroRRT Member

Apr 10, 2001
    N. VA - DCU-land
    "Wynalduh" thinks way too much of himself

Who did "Wynalduh" compete against to earn his caps compared to Twellman? How many goals did "Wynalduh" score in the World Cups against top defenders rather than the Cubas, Matiniques, El Salvadors and "friendlies"?
    Wynalduh now know what it takes to get the national side into the semis of the '06 Cup...hmmm. I am relieved to know someone knows what the hell to do because Arena sure doesn't. Get real, Wynalduh....your full of too much hair juice. Just too opinionated for someone who will soon be replaced by a group of youngsters who will truly and honestly take US Soccer to "International - not CONCACAF" level.
    Twellman is too damn slow a la Razov.

11. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Wynalda scored 2 in much less time at World Cups than it took McBride to score 3, and if you want to talk about McBride's stint at Everton, Wynalda did quite well in the Bundesliga for a spell.

Now, being a good player does not necessarily make one a good judge of other player or a good commentator, see Pele's notoriously horrendous world cup predictions for proof, butWynalda at his peak would still be starting or at least getting lots of minutes for the US today.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    That's my point exactly, mjtate. I don't think that anyone (Wynalda included) is saying dump McBride outright and guarantee Twellman his spot in the starting line up. I think most people who are siding with Wynalda are only suggesting that Taylor gets time with the same line-ups/circumstances that are allowing McBride to score. If Twellman can't hack it at that point (and this means MORE than 20 minutes in one game), then Wynalda is wrong, I am wrong, others are wrong. But if he doesn't get time to play NOW, then no, he isn't going to be ready for 2006.

My other real problem is people saying that Twellman shouldn't be given a shot solely based on his MLS numbers. What do you suppose a call-up should be based on then -- personality? Particularly laughable are the Crew fans who argue that Twellman shouldn't be granted a spot based on his MLS track record, but Buddle should. Fair is fair, boys. What's good for one is good for the other.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i am not saying that buddle should be given a spot over twellman based on mls stats right now b/c twellman has better stats...but i will say this to you...

come back to me in 2006 when buddle is on the world cup squad and twellman isn't, then you can eat your plate of crow...okay?

just make sure you hold on to this post.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I got here apparently.

Leopard :: Spots
    as
    Voros :: ?????????

:)

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even watch soccer? McBride doesn't play hard for the Crew?

OK, genius, in big letters as you apparently have trouble with this point -- WHY IS IT THAT THE CREW CAN'T WIN A GAME WITHOUT MCBRIDE IN THE LINEUP IF HE IS "LOAFING" WHEN HE PLAYS IN MLS?

17. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't share the negative view nor the rosey view of Twellman. I think he's a solid striker. I just think that he's a victim of timing. At this point he's not better than McBride, and looking down the road I don't project him being better than Buddle. If McBride were to get hurt I'd say Taylor's time is right now, but the problem is there isn't much happening at the moment.

If there were a big event today, and McBride was hurt I'd say throw Taylor in. The thing is the big event is three years away, and if I had to choose which player to groom it would be Buddle.

18. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I don't care what folks say about Twellman's athleticism or quickness, etc., etc., etc.

The guy does deserve a legitimate shot.

The reason?

He scores goals - lots more goals than guys who play in the same league as him and who have been given a legitimate shot.

Want a few examples of not so quick forwards without great athleticism who scored goals on the international level in big fat bunches?

Gabriel Batistuta for one.
    Romario for two.

No, Twellman is not either of these guys. And I am not saying he could be as good as either of them. But the point remains. So much of being a great goal scorer rests in being in position and burying chances. Twellman does this.

19. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    And I wasn't saying that Twellman should get the spot over Buddle. I think that they're both tremendous talents and BOTH need to be given a chance in Bruce's camp so that they can improve in time for 2006.

My complaint was that too many Crew fans took Wynalda's comments personally -- a slam against McBride -- when in essence all he said was what many posters have been saying: McBride and Twellman play similar positions. If Twellman is ever going to make in onto the international scene, he's going to need some time to work with DMB, Donovan, etc. And yes, that may mean that Twellman plays in place of McBride in some games. That's how new talent develops; by pushing the older talent out little by little.

I just don't think that the Crew fans that have taken Twellman as a no-talent MLS-lifer (and I'm not including you in that group) would be as upset and as anti-Taylor if Wynalda had called for Twellman to take Cletus' place.

20. KoreAmBear

KoreAmBear New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Honolulu
    Wynalda talks too much

Yeah he is paid to do that but he sounds so arrogant that it is annoying to hear him on the sidelines.

Twellman is OK but yeah, I don't think he is as good in the air as McBride and I don't think he makes good runs as Razov does. Razov is also very good shooting from the 18 yard box -- he usually gets a lot on his shots. I would rather have McBride and/or Razov in the lineup before Taylor. And with Razov in the lineup I like that because he gets to play with DMB -- they really work well together. Too bad Damani cannot play too. Those three would work very well on the USMNT.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a) Well Kreis did score a goal for the Nats and then displayed a glaring inability to get onto the field. Kreis has 256 minutes as a Nat.

b) Kreis' stats at the MLS level aren't all that impressive. He's benefitted greatly from being consistently healthy until this year. That coupled with his non-selections to the Nats have allowed him to rack up a lot of minutes each season and so his _totals_ look good, but his goals and assists per 90 minutes aren't all that great (I believe Josh Wolff's are/were significantly better in both cases). They're certainly not close to as impressive as Twellman's currently.

I'm not saying Twellman is going to be great for the Nats. I am saying he's earned the opportunity to find out.

Jovan Kirovski has racked up close to 6,000 minutes for the Nats in his career. Clearly there's enough room to give Twellman a few more.

22. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    This entire discussion is so totally academic, it isn't even funny. We have a number of strikers that I'd feel comfortable with right now -- McBride, Donovan, Twellman, Casey, Buddle, Razov, Wolff, etc. For a number of reasons -- injuries, club commitments, suspensions, dips in form, marriages, deaths in the family, etc. -- not all of these guys will be available all the time. Remember how many strikers we used in qualifying to for WC '02? All these guys will be useful in the next few years! It's a great thing we have them!

That said, I do think Bruce needs to think seriously about who will take McBride's place on the depth chart. I just don't think he'll be good enough to start in 2006.

I've always been really high on Buddle. I think he has more potential to be a nats mainstay than Twellman.

23. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Oh, sorry, I accidentily took the name McBride in vain. I'm not saying the guy is crap in MLS, but he is not as productive as he is with the national team, against inferior opponents. You can take that for whatever you want. He just came to mind wth the rest of the group.

I'd say Donovan is a better example, and I am a big fan of his. But, even his coach has questioned the effort he puts out for his club, on more than one occasion.

Maybe this is no big deal to you, but to me guys who take it easy more than they produce are a problem, when they get compared to guys who do the job day in day out.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So you people actually think that MLS Production is more important than pure talent.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Abosultely not, with a reservation.

No, a tream made of players playing well for clubs will not be better than the most talented players we have, also playing at their best.

But, the only reason I bring it up is that I can see a real benefit of having all our players playing as hard as they can even in league games. It makes the whole league stronger, which in turn makes the national team better in the long run.

Holding back call-ups from guys who are performing below par in MLS is just one idea of a way to accomplish an end, and may well not be the best way. It's just an idea.