Wynalda : Stewart is no flop

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Lowecifer, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  2. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    that is a good piece and it is nice to see a bit of focus on the "non-statistical" contributions earnie has made. i have heard both trask and ray also talk about earnie's play in terms similar to eric's.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oh, crap! The Wynalda Kiss of Death. That's like Pele predicting you'll win the World Cup. Just ask Taylor Twellman.

4. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like his suggestion that referees not be so overly dramatic about showing the card. Pulling the card out instantly and standing up all stiff like a hanging judge about to levy a murder sentance makes for good drama, but it is better to take some time to explain what has happened. I've seen this approach in EPL matches, and the players seem to react more respectfully overall towards the refs compared to MLS players.

- Paul

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent peice by Waldo.

Who knew he could write?

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we know he can talk ... maybe one of the players' wives was taking dictation ;)

7. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Fascinating! Not exactly shocking that Wynalda supports Earnie, his former teammate

I too thought that he would have better stats by now....I've been watching Earnie really closely and I was a little concerned by Game 8. He hadn't scored. I watched him and he was trying to do way too much.
    I've watched him and he was doing WAY TOO LITTLE. Part of the problem was he was TOO nice. you get caught up in that "I'm nice guy Earnie Stewart, National Team Player" persona, afraid to take shots, take chances that may make you look bad or upset a teammate who you could've passed to instead

Also, and those who have played KNOW this is true, it's VERY easy to get caught up in just playing and not producing. Part of the reason is you're running around all over the place, and you get tired. It's very easy to just coast on your reputation and hope something happens

One of the more unselfish players that I have ever played with
    But that's a PROBLEM!! Earnie is actually BETTER technically than most of the players on the field, INCLUDING some of our own players, but he doesn't PLAY LIKE IT. He plays like players are equal to him in ability-that's TOO unselfish. He plays like if he makes a great pass to a player, like on the national team, or in Holland, he's gonna get a great pass back. He positions himself like he's going to get a ball from a gifted player, and oftentimes he's NOT going to see a ball from a gifted player. You often see his frustration when he doesn't get a pass when he thinks he's open-he slaps himself or something like that. That's why playing w/Cerritos makes a difference-Cerritos can play Earnie's game

Earnie should play w/a determination like HE is going to be the one that makes things happen. Lately he's been doing that-seemingly more out of frustration and anger than anything else, but if him being angry and frustrated is what's needed for him to produce, so be it...

Earnie's time is NOW. His past play didn't help, but it can be seen as a learning experience. Whether or not Earnie Stewart is to be a DC United star will depend on how he will do in this CRITICAL stretch to end the season

Thanks to Wynalda for the article

8. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    1) Are there a lot of Earnie bashers out there? I don't read a lot of Earnie-smack, but maybe I'm missing something.

2) One of the things that is amusing/annoying about former players is a habit, nay, an addiction with regards to reminding the reader/viewer that they are a former player.

Go back and read that piece. At least 4 references to the fact that he's a former baller.

Yah. Ok. We get it. We know. Knock it off.

Check for it on TH/FRI on the telecast. We should have an over/under on "When I played..." comments from Waldo.

9. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    A few weeks ago perhaps....

The timing is a bit suspect, to write the article after Earnie's been producing....probably too scared to write it a couple weeks ago and look like an idiot

Waldo still sets himself up to look like an idiot if Earnie doesn't produce the rest of the season

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In fairness to Waldo, it's only his second article and he is writing them in conjunction with the ESPN2 match of the week. That would explain why he's writing about Stewart now instead of when the harpies had their claws out.

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I thought the only Earnie bashers were on this board.

12. rmacc3ng

rmacc3ng New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Winston-Salem, NC
    No he doesn't... The article was pointing out that you don't have to produce point-wise to be a contributor. Did you read the article?

Yes, Wynalda mentioned him scoring on Thursday... but i wouldn't say he set himself for anything.

13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think these were indeed his target (DC fans).

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Maybe bashing is what Earnie needed. He seemed to play better after it. 0 goals and 0 assists 2/3 through the season-maybe Earnie was pleading for attention ;)

We need some wins, some help from Mr. Earnie Stewart, and NOW. To Mr Self-Confessed Team Player, it's SHOWTIME!!!

15. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Nope. Not me. I didn't read it

About your "points didn't concern Waldo", here's what he said:

I've been watching Earnie really closely and I was a little concerned by Game 8. He hadn't scored.

16. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    This was a good analysis. Stewart has been doing too much for United to be called a wash-out. His play with Cerritos has been outstanding. So, even if he was a let-down at the beginning of the season, he's come on strong down the stretch. I'll take that anytime. (Just look at my Gunners last season- talk about flaming out at the clutch!)

17. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I will to anytime BUT! the stretch is still to come...

2 games against the Metros. Win both, looking at home field advantage for the playoffs against the Metros in the first round.

Lose both, looking at maybe tied for last place, no home field, maybe even no playoffs

I'm so pumped for these 2 games....paging Mr. Earnie Stewart, YOUR TIME HAS COME

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    You wouldn't have been saying that after last weeks article if you had read that.

Hopefully Prus gives more reds to the Metros than us on Thursday, he could give us a decided advantage in the series if he keeps up the easy cards and DC keeps their heads in the game.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Waldo, I like him warts and all. Definately has a genuine personality and point of view.

I gotta say, though, I get tired of soccer experts lecturing me about how I need to appreciate what players do off the ball. You know, I'm a fan, and an occasional (and really awful) player. I'm not a coach, I don't plan to be one.
    I don't care about "off the ball." Ernie was playing as a forward--I care VERY MUCH what a forward does WITH the ball.

Just my uninformed opinion...

20. I didn't know Waldo was such a comedian. His last paragraph: "Besides, if refs would start actually doing this, it would give the guys in the TV truck enough time to pull back the replay so I can review it before I say something stupid. Just a thought."

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Don't believe everything you read. Start watching games and stop judging players on points. "

This made me laugh after his Pro Twellman for the US piece last week.

I like Ernie's game, but think the only thing Twellman has going is points, if you watch him closely his game is really lacking at the international level, IMO.

22. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    While I do not think Earnie has been detrimental to the team, I hope Earnie sticks a fork into the overcooked Metrodonkeys to quiet all the criticism.

23. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd prefer he shovelled their black, bitter hearts out with a dirty soup spoon.

24. StanfordSam

StanfordSam New Member

May 10, 2001
    Eric Wynalda is starting to establish himself as one of the p-r-e-c-i-o-u-s few soccer pundits who actually knows a damn and has the personality and the Ballz to tell it and in agreat,slightly annoying laid-back California type way.....!?!???...Great credit to Eric thpogh,not just for this call but so many others....too many to mention,but that make listening to Ty Keough just barely tolerable....and i mean JUST....The play by play guy Davis was very good.