Wynalda on ESPN Radio

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Mr. Knowledge, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    Anyone else catch Eric Wynalda on ESPN Gamenight sports radio? This is not an interview I'm talking about. Waldo is co-hosting the program. I heard him while I was driving last night and again tonight. ESPN Gamnight is your typical sports talk radio program aired nationally; not the typical place to find ex-soccer soccer players. However, Waldo is certainly opinionated enough to be on sports talk radio.

I don't know if this is a temporary gig or if he is filling in for some guys on vacation. Last night, he seemed a little nervous. Tonight, he came across as more relaxed.

2. Twellman20

Twellman20 New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    NJ
    Wynalda also hosted Mike and Mike in the morning a few weeks back when the guys were on vacation. Wynalda is probably hosting temporarily....Back when he hosted he said that he prefer being a soccer hall of famer rather than winning a championship. Which I find stupid not wanting to win a championship...

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
  4. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he said the exact opposite. he said he'd rather have won a championship. jesus, is it that hard to get a quote right?

5. Twellman20

Twellman20 New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    NJ
    No your wrong he flip flop... first he said he wanted to be a hall famer but was getting flock about and change his mind. Dude I listen to the entire show...

6. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after having browsed past this thread a few hours ago, I was actually listening to Waldo on Gamenight and threw a question over to them just before they went off the air.

"What do you think the chances are for a KC stadium to become a reality?
    How would this affect Philly and Cleveland?"

I don't think he was much in the know about the stadium article; there was no mention of recent developments. Part of the reason I asked liked that is because I was curious of his awareness; I actually think he may have been working so much on getting into more mainstream ESPN that he actually doesn't know nor have followed expansion developments in Cleveland, Philly, and other cities either.

Anyways, he then went on to tout St Louis (even suggesting KC hop over there), Rochester, and Seattle. Talked about KC being all about the Chiefs, while the others were more soccer friendly hotbeds. Also mentioned Hunt ownership and gave a get-well shoutout to Lamar. The co-host, Fred Coleman, on the show then nicely threw in a couple run-of-the-mill-but-showing-interest expansion questions (how many teams? when? etc) that Waldo didn't really answer too much....but while I like Waldo's analysis overall, over his body of work, he didn't really have anything here. He actually sounded a little off-guard getting THIS question. Oh, they were also confused that someone from/rooting for Cleveland (at bottom of email) was asking about a KC stadium. Unfortunately I don't think he'll be on tomorrow....catching a flight at 6 am or something....unfortunately may be no chance for rebuttal/information session. At least a thanks to them for putting it on/out there though. Doubt/don't know if it's archived at all.

Now, as a general sports analyst / radio host throughout the show, I actually thought he did very well. We do need these type of things in the media and I can even see him with this longtime ESPN future, not just about soccer, if he wants. A star professional US soccer player doing national ESPN radio shows....MLS has come far.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I heard your question for Wynalda, and I agree with you that he never really did answer your question. He did, however, very clearly state that KC should move to STL.

8. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    Good stuff. Did you tell the call screener that you were going to ask a MLS question?

9. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there something inherently wrong when Mr. Knowledge says "I don't know"?

My faith in all that is good and decent has been crushed.

10. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    That's great. Funny stuff mcontento.

11. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen that sports guys rarely have any clue about expansion, relocation, and stadiums. I mean I heard a few months ago some guy on radio predicting the Colts would be a SUREFIRE lock to move to LA, when Colts had locked a stadium deal for months and NOTHING's going on in LA.

12. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he did a really good job. He sounds like he's been doing this for a while. He might have a decent gig with ESPN.

13. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it was by email, and they put it up literally within 20-30 seconds.

14. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    If you've ever met Eric Wynalda or heard stories about him it makes perfect sense. He's a "me first" guy in every sense of the word. He was always about personal accolades et. al.

He may have been a good teammate (I've heard some guys say that), and he may have been a horrible teammate (I've heard some guys say that too - many more actually than say he was good)... but there's no doubt that he was always looking out for himself first.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda is back on the show co-hosting again today.

16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    He's not bad, but hearing Wynalda talk baseball and football seems wrong somehow.

17. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Today as in tonight? (Game night is an evening program)

18. marco4

marco4 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Troy, NY
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Today as in right now. Morning show. Only has about 40 min left in the show.

19. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Ah, I see. Last week, he was filling in on Game Night, which is an evening show. Today, he's filling in for Mike and Mike, probably because they'll be in Chicago tomorrow doing their show.

Listen live if you'd like at http://www.espnradio.com

20. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Wynalda on ESPN2 in the morning was an amazing sight.
    Talked about the NL Wild Card race and Brett Favre, I remember before leaving home.

Also, how about that haircut?

21. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout the confession that Waldo had informal tryouts with NFL scouts as a placekicker?

And his confidence that he'd make ten out of ten 40 yd. FGs.

22. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I'd expect nothing less from him.

23. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It's quite possible he may be able to do it as 40 yds isn't THAT far, but 10/10 may be more of a challenge. What I loved was that he totally dismissed it out of hand, kind of like "Oh yeah, of COURSE I'd make ten out of ten."

24. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

I wouldn't want a kicker on my football team who didn't think he could hit 10 out 10 . . . that's for sure.

25. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it sounds like he hasn't done it for a few years. The question was posed as "If we took you out to a field right now, could you..."

His tryouts were three years ago according to him.
    Regardless of what he thinks, 40 yd FGs aren't automatic makes even with kickers that have years of experience.