Wycombe vs Spurs, FA Cup Round 4, Mon. Jan. 25, 2:45 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 25, 2021.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Son.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I am not enjoying this.

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    One needn't possess my levels of pessimism to envision us conceding.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Son fires over the bar from twelve feet. Crikey.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Winks.

[phew]

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ... and done. Ndomele finishes a quick break. Finally.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Rodon on for Davies. 89'.

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Phenomenal final goal from Tanguy.

I guess we 'll find out if Tanganga was yanked because he was blamed for the goal we conceded. I thought he was having a pretty good game.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Never a doubt in my mind

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I can't remember a less comfortable 4-1 win to watch.

I thought Bale looked more involved and threatening than he has thus far since joining us. He should've done better on a couple of occasions, but was far less of a passenger than we've seen thus far.

I though Winks was quite good, as well; though when he makes bad passes, they can be really bad.

Still, it was Wycombe. Players of that caliber should look good in a match like this. Moura wasn't bad. Lamela left a bit to be desired. Vinicius not on it, either.

For all the pre-game talk of Akinfenwa's physicality, it must be said that Ikpeazu was a handful, as well. I mean, that's a real physical presence, there. Fair play to 'em. They made a fist of it. Roll on 5th round.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I wasn't terribly concerned until around 70 minutes. It was around that point that my general discomfort began escalating toward something more like a cauldron of frustration, anxiety, fear, and anger. By the time we scored, I was having no problem envisioning us losing this tie.

12. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Spurs supporters last summer: Well, if we can't sell Ndombele for what we paid Lyon, I guess we're stuck with him until his contract is up.

Spurs supporters now: Sign Ndombele to a new contract ASAP so he doesn't leave!

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Speak for yourself.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #39 Golara, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Well, if you have a twat ref like Jon Moss who lets the guy rip off his opponents shirt all night without booking him, then even I could play centre forward.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The goal was a combination of idiocy from Moura and Sanchez. We had won a throw and for some reason, Lucas chucked the ball up the line to nobody in particular. Then on the subsequent cross Sanchez was presented with the following options:

a) Boot the ball back from whence it came.
    b) Boot the ball into row Z.
    c) Boot the ball out for a corner.
    d) Angle my foot so as to perfectly lay it on for an opposition player in the middle of our penalty area.

Guess which one he chose?

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    A combination of shockingly poor passing and dreadful finishing made the game closer than it should have been. But if at the end of the competition you end up with a winner's medal, nobody will care if you were shite away to Cabbagetown Athletic in Round 3.

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    With all respect, if you tried playing centre forward with all the physicality of Ikpeazu and Okinfenwa, I'm guessing Toby Alderweireld could still cope.

;)

No, you're right in that Moss let them play in ways that he didn't have to. But obviously that kind of player is going to find out where the line is early on and play to (or even beyond) it. Ikpeazu was a handful, and no mistake. If I were Wycombe, I'd've loved it. I don't say that about shithousery, but that wasn't 'dirty', just strong, physical football.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Harsh on Moura, but yeah, Sanchez gets the raspberry on that goal. It was just a piss-poor clearance, that's all. Obviously he should've done a, b, or c; but it's hardly as though he weighed his options and consciously selected d. The problem with Sanchez is that those types of things happen rather too often.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I've seen Akinfenwa play: don't be fooled by his size and his schtick, which is thoroughly enjoyable btw, he is a really good footballer - he has a nice touch and is a good passer, and has a skill I haven't seen from many centre forwards in that he can make deft passes, with his head. If it weren't for his girth, he probably would have played at a higher level. I see a lot of PL strikers who were brought in for big money who are half as effective as the big man. I think Ainsworth missed a trick by not starting him, Wycombe ran out of gas in the second half, but in the first period, when they were giving us trouble, they may have been able to inflate their scoreline with Akinfenwa ou there terrorizing the hapless Sanchez.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Brings to mind a certain Oscar Wilde quote...