WWC19 USA v THE NETHERLANDS, FINAL, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jul 3, 2019.

?

Who will win WWC19' final?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2019.
  1. United States

54 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. The Netherlands

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stade de France sounds massive, is that the Paris Olympic stadium?

2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    our US men's team is finally look decent, but our system; finding German born G.I.babies got a lot to be desired..........lol
    the Dutch are very well condtioned so wearing down/tiring out the US is a big part of their plan as well

noticing that the from several pics/vids of Dutch triaining, they so love exercising on stationary bikes> is this a comon way of practice with the other soccer teams as well?

3. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    All of that is smart and makes complete sense. But I do think there are other things the USWNT does that pose a challenge (as well as weak areas to exploit).

4. Ah, thanks for elaborating on the defense tactical side.
    Guess Wiegman will make the team shift from 4-3-3 into 3-4-3 when we're in possesion and there's a lone striker up from the USA.

5. Yup, you know Dutch. Can't live without a bike at hand;)

6. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If your team can attack with vertical passes and attempt to split our CBs you should. I think it is a weakness. We didn’t look as steady against England when White positioned herself well.

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is scheduled to be the main stadium of the 2024 Olympics. It was built to host the final of the 1998 men's World Cup. It also has hosted the finals of the 2016 men's European Championships, the 2000 and 2006 men's UEFA Champions League, and the 1999 and 2007 men's Rugby World Cups. It also was the scene of the 2003 track and field World Championships. A lot of major men's games are played there, including, I think, most of France's World Cup qualifiers. Is it where the U.S. men tied France, 1-1, a few weeks before the 2018 World Cup?.

Dom. FC repped this.
  8. I guess one of the solutions the back line will use is after breaking up an attack to wack the ball into the US half to profit from the US high pressing line. If the defense once is caught off guard in such a situation with Miedema it could be necessary for the goalie to be the guard in the last resort.
    It saves the midfield energy.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #134 hotjam2, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    if we win this the US will be considered the most dominant ever considering its a repeat as well as other performances this decade like OL gold in 2012 & finalists in 2011 WC. More & more foreigners will now want to examine what we're doing right as the greatest soccer minds/or greatest clubs like Man Ciy, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, PSG, Bayern Munich all have starting to spend more on woso but have come up empty handed(their respective country's NT's).
    Of course TITLE IX will be ruled once again numero uno, but I wonder too if it's cuz of our unlimted sub rule used all the way through college has made the game so much more popular?(than the mandated 3 sub, FIFA rule?

and then as I've allready mentioned to Feyenoordsoccerfan, since we're so multi sport, soccer in this country tends to attract the more ....sprinter/runner/cross country types(thus we seem to have a quicker, step or two over our opponents)

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few basketball players from our women's team as well though I'm not sure if they would have been Div I level b-ball players in college, maybe Abby Wambach.

11. The Euro countries, I've no clue about what the other countries do with women soccer, only just embraced women soccer.
    Women soccer is in the Netherlands the fastest growing sport since the Euro 2017. Before that since iirc 1990 girls played in one team with boys, because there werenot enough to have separate teams. So the girls went into the same development mode as the boys. It's result was a sudden appearance on the soccer stage in 2017.

12. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I’ve been there.
    The place is cold and soulless.
    The security contractor they use employ a load of nasty people. The public are treated like dogs.

No thanks.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. oops, that's of course Wiegman, the coach.

14. Gutch220

Gutch220 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #139 Gutch220, Jul 5, 2019
    I think the USWNT should be favorites to win, but I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing if they were to lose. Let me explain....I think it only helps the women's game if about 5-10 teams are good enough to win the WC. If the USA women start winning every 4-years I think the championship will begin to lose its luster. Look at the men's USA basketball team, when it's a foregone conclusion that you are expected to steamroll over the competition in the Olympics and world championships, it definitely becomes 'less fun' and nobody cares 3-days later. If they win by less than 10 points, people get all antsy. So I think it would be better if A) the USA didn't win every World Cup, and B) smaller tournaments like the CONCACAF championship had more teams that were higher level other than USA and Canada. Maybe it would be a good idea to merge CONCACAF and CONMEBOL for a women's tournament. The worst thing that could happen is for the World Cup to begin to 'mean less' in the eyes of the public. That being said, I hope they win on sunday :confused:

zdravstvuyte repped this.
  15. Nah, donot think it's a danger. The Euro countries only recently started taking women soccer serious, so they still have room to improve in quality. With that improvement comes growing competitiveness in relation to the USA. So the subscription to the title is going to change into a battle for it.
    It's the battles for the title that makes a tournement interesting and this year the USA had serious hurdles to jump for getting into the Final. It will get tougher each WC and Olympic that comes after this tournement. So it will get more and more interesting or Europe.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  16. Fun fact.
    The orange colour we have as our national symbol originated from a little town, about 200 km south of Lyon.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange,_Vaucluse
    Prince Willem van Nassau inherited the title Prince of Orange, hence the link with the colour as a national colour.
    upload_2019-7-6_1-2-30.png

2in10, TrueCrew, cpthomas and 4 others repped this.
  17. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    #142 Dundalk24, Jul 5, 2019
    It definitely makes the Dutch unique. Everyone else is Red, blue, green, yellow, or white as their jersey colors. Sometimes NZ goes with black...but then they soak up the sun’s heat...Germany learned that lesson.

blissett and Semblance17 repped this.
  18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dutch certainly got around, there are pockets of Dutch influence even all the way on the west coast of US. There's a little suburban community in south-east part of Los Angeles that had a Dutch colony that settled there and my family took me around to see the interesting architecture of the older homes in those neighborhoods.

19. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you going to manage that 8AM kickoff time @McSkillz ? Even on the east coast 11AM rules out a lot of bars and restaurants for me; though many open their doors at exactly 11, I can't risk missing the first few minutes while the TVs are tuned to Fox (as the 2015 Final demonstrated). As much as I'd like to make a watch party happen, I'll probably end up watching at home.

20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I go to the LA Galaxy watch party at LA Live and they are opening their doors at 7:45AM. All food and drink specials at the bar will go on as they have with the other previous USWNT watch parties. Families can bring the kids in as well as watch party for all ages even though it's at a bar. We've had many young girls show up with mom and dad cheering on Alex Morgan and company the past several matches.

I'm surprised it's not always the case elsewhere around the country.

I will bring up an incident with the game against England at our last watch-party. There's like a zillion television panels that occupy every space on the walls in this place and there were 4 televisions that showed the match about 10-15 seconds into the future(basically out of sync) but the audio was broadcast through the bar with the feed that was 10-15 seconds behind. This whole ordeal lasted for like 5 minutes and patrons were trying to get the workers to get the televisions all insync. I was afraid I would have to look at a screen from afar the whole time and see it again 15 seconds later from the zillion screens in front of all of us. Then we had a situation with the captions being on and pretty much blocking 1/3 of the pitch. Once those things were fixed, we had a good viewing experience. I also am now the proud owner of like 5 or 6 LA Galaxy keychains even though I'm really an LAFC supporter. I just don't have the heart to tell them who I truly am. :sneaky:

Semblance17 and kennytt repped this.
  21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're talking aerial balls, I don't think it'll work. Our defensive line is actually quite strong in the air. And Sauerbrunn, while slow, is great at anticipating the pass so if she can see it coming, she'll cut it off. (But she has looked surprisingly human in this tournament, so who knows?) What has worked is splitting the CB's with passes on the ground, especially when Ertz has been pulled out, or getting in behind the space left from the attacking outside backs. That's where the backline has gotten pulled out of shape.

There have also been huge holes in the midfield at points when Lavelle and Horan/Mewis get pulled really wide to overload the flanks in attack. The midfield has certainly been overrun at points in the tournament. Generally, playing the US game right back at them shows promise for opponents: press them high and force turnovers high up the pitch.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Small correction. *5-4-1: Ertz went into the backline.

23. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    @McSkillz
    Hope you found a hearty door jam during yet another big roller - a 7.1

As a native Angelino I remember quite a few big ones in the 70’s & 80’s.

jnielsen repped this.
  24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree.
    My only fear is that both Rapinoe and Lavelle will go down too early because of their respective hamstring injuries. Thus, negatively affecting the substitution pattern which the coaching had set.

I'm thinking of playing either Rapinoe OR Lavelle, and replacing the one with the other, this way you won't lose a sub if either injures their hammy's again. And, you don't lose the creativity that they each bring.

25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

, but I noticed in particular the foreign posters have disapeared from the bS forum over the last 4-5 years, especially when their own respective NT's prove to be a failure in the last couple of WC's. Perhaps your thinking, well maybe their happier posting in their own lagnuage forums, but shocked to see how little EN, CA, AU & NZ woso posters anymore as well(and it's not like they got their own forums, as I've checked all ready)