WWC19 USA v SPAIN Round of 16, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 20, 2019.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First knockout match for the USWNT. Frankly I’m glad we play Spain over Canada.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, at this World Cup @McSkillz doesn't have rivals at quickly creating threads! :laugh:

RalleeMonkey, Semblance17 and McSkillz repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have some mixed feelings on this. I believe we win against either team but it will be a little harder against Spain. However, if we were to play Canada I think the chances are that we get an injury or two. Canada is a "hard" team while Spain is "softer."

My real concern is that the US may be looking ahead and that could get them in trouble.

4. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One game at a time is the only way to approach the knockout stage, since preoccupation with the following match in a win-or-go-home scenario means you might not even make it to that following match. Once again I must embrace my faith as a fan and believe that the team has enough sense to remember this as a basic fact that any true World Cup contender must recognize.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any updates on Morgan, Ertz and O'Hara's knocks? I'm not sure if they are going to publicly release this information so soon but I hope that they are going to be okay going forward.

I think regarding looking ahead to future matches and such, the USWNT's mentality has always been winning one game at a time and I believe that's what you're supposed to do at the WWC if you have the potential to win the whole thing. Sweden, whether people want to believe they barely tried to win or not doesn't matter anymore to me. The USWNT played to win the match, and they did so what if it puts us on a path towards France. We're going to have to face some heavy-hitters in the quarter-finals no matter who it is so might as well be the hardest of the bunch.

As for Spain, I still believe we can win against them and I'm still glad we aren't facing Canada. Canada is an excellent team, they know our players almost like sisters and they play very physical so there's always a risk of a rough injury.

I hope we made it out of Sweden alright.

Semblance17 repped this.
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know that coaches can be egotistical, using their squad as their own personal vanity project, even though their 'carrying the weight on the shoulders' of their respective countries. No one has been worse than the Spanish coach, Vidalia;

he's refused the services of two, still in their prime vets, Vero & Bermudez

didn't pick the mvp of the Spanish League, Angela Soza

only picked 2 players from Spain's phenom youth squads of last year

picked nearly 10 players from Barcelona even though that club hasn't won the league title in the last 3 years

after the WC, hope Spain fires his ass & goes back to pickin onions!

7. MotorBob

MotorBob Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Loving the USA this World Cup - fast, technical and playing a wonderful brand of soccer. Wonder what the TV ratings will look like in knockout stages!

HeadSpun, Namdynamo, ntxsage and 2 others repped this.
  8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think ratings are going to struggle until the semi finals. Midweek games that start in the middle of the day are brutal

HeadSpun, Semblance17 and jnielsen repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Canada is not thuggy like they used to be.

The thing with Spain is they can't finish. From what I've seen, they create a lot of opportunities, but they're the gang that couldn't shoot straight.

I'd rather play them than Canada. But, they look like they could be dangerous if they could ever find their finishing ability.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  10. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spanish Coach Jorge Vilda
    2BFCC403-609D-44A5-BD36-C52CAE881931.jpeg
    • Will the overwhelming scent of his styling mousse and personal care products waft onto the pitch affecting our Team’s respiratory functions?
    • Will he even be at the Match or in St. Moritz doing a photo shoot for Italian Vogue?
    • Does FOX have a female producer assigned to the Match and will she lock herself in the control room and order every camera to be trained on him and not the Match?
    As usual, more questions than answers.
    Oh well, d*mn it, back to the Champagne Region tomorrow(all fox in henhouse references are appropriate and well deserved.

11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very rarely say this on a Saturday morning but...

Is it Monday yet?

MiLLeNNiuM, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    There is absolutely no chance, regardless of the result (even a Thailand type of beat down), that this will happen.

blissett repped this.
  13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US looks very good.

No worries about them looking ahead after the Olympic result last time. I think they lean more towards pissed off than overconfident.

My worries are about Dunn's inexperience at RB (got too narrow a couple times) and missing Hope/Scurry in goal.

14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only beat Spain 1-0 a couple months ago, with essentially the starting lineup we used against Sweden. So, they shouldn't be too confident heading into this match. Actually, I'm sure they won't be looking past Spain.

TrueCrew and jnielsen repped this.
  15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beachhead reestablished Reims (or as us locals say it - Rans)
    8BC96719-5C9E-4844-ADB2-6A1B3E2C18B6.jpeg
    On this street in front of my hotel, just pedestrian traffic and those umbrellas are for cafe seating. The Central District is 10 square blocks, train station at one end then at the opposite end plus one mile is the Stadium. Compact and easy to get to everything. Oh, and every third storefront is a Bar/Cafe, for those individuals interested in that type of thing:D

This leg I’m staying at the US Team hotel from 2 weeks ago. Spain is staying here now. Walked by the US hotel earlier. Security was tighter than at a Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank. Could not approach the front doors without a room key. - - - Good, keeps the riff raff like me away from the players.

Saw the managers loading the bus for Training about 3 today. Earlier I saw Tobin eating lunch inside the Hotel Cafe. I refrained from pressing my nose against the glass and cupping my hands around my eyes to see who else might have been in there.

Anticipation is building
    Tension is building
    Excitement is building

24 hours 2 minutes

lil_one, TrueCrew, BrooklynBaby and 8 others repped this.
  16. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright team. Defense wins championships. Get the shutout, get a goal [more than one would be more than welcome], and get to the next round.

17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12.5 hours to go. I'm ready now.

18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    After seeing the French labor over the fouling Brazilians.... I’m full of hope.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, not to overlook any opponent left, but.....

They should be more afraid of us than we are of them. It is just the simple by-product of being the champs.

20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dawn - pacing and chain-smoking has commenced in earnest. Went out and the streets were deserted....the Euros don’t really recognize or participate in 6 am to 9 am.

With nothing else to do, I went by the Team hotel with the express purpose of soaking up the awesomeness. Could have been the early morning light but the Hotel seemed have a faint glow around it. Later, a train must have arrived because a long line of US fans came walking by. Bunch of yahoos and scoundrels from what I could tell-exactly what I want them to be. Getting hi-5’s from each was a great way to start the morning.

Along the Spain, a bunch of FIFA muckity mucks are staying at this hotel. They are very busy standing around trying to look important before going to the Match and sitting in their great seats.

The good news is I called everyone’s boss and you all have the day off to watch the Match.....Yeeeeeea. You also don’t have to go in on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or:D:D:D

I truly wish you all were here.

8 hours and 5 minutes till 23 American Women create Heaven on Earth.

Semblance17, jnielsen, orcrist and 2 others repped this.
  21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I"ve already started drinking.. hopefully I make it this morning in California.

Semblance17, orcrist, Kevin625 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sorry if I missed this in another thread - Morgan and Ertz both available- are they expected to start or only in an emergency?

I am on vacation this week so all set to drink and watch here in Door County WI

Thanks to all you regular posters for starting all these threads and the good discussions

USA big today - 5-0

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Obviously, this is a game the USA should definitely win (probably 9 times out of 10), but my biggest fear is...

VAR :mad:

Spain can't finish, but they're certainly good enough to get into dangerous areas.

They've only scored 3 goals (all in the RSA game) in the tournament. Their 1st two goals were via PK from a handball and foul (via VAR) out at the far corner of the box in relatively non-threatening situations. The VAR PK led to a 2nd yellow and RSA playing the final ~10 minutes with 10 players and contributed to the 3rd goal.

I'm not arguing whether or not these were the right calls... but after seeing all the controversial VAR calls so far in this tournament, there's a good chance it might rear it's ugly head in this game.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a Europe thing, but do they still have smoking in the stadiums like Germany did in 2006?

I thought I was going to die at France-Switzerland, where 65% of the damn stadium was smoking...

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semblance17, jackdoggy, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.