WWC19 USA v FRANCE Quarterfinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 24, 2019.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yep. Yelling at VAR has about the same effect as reasoning with a 13 year old. I know, I am trying to do just that right now and she has mastered the "one hand on hip with an exaggerated sigh" mannerism. It is amazing how effective that is.

blissett repped this.
  2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I'm curious, how is the French media covering the WNT? And Megan Rapinoe, Trump?

McSkillz and jnielsen repped this.
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    My SO was out of town during the game, so we watched it late last night, slept, then watched Netherlands Italy, and I have now rewatched select portions of the France game.

Dunn POM, O'Hara and Morgan had great games, Pinoe did too play defense, Tobin mostly uninvolved because the French attacked the other side, but she got some defense in too. Mewis made a great run on the second goal-- drew her mark deep enough that Pinoe could go wherever she wanted and still be on.

We're not going to be able to stop Renard entirely until we have one of our own-- that was both Horan and Pinoe on her...

Naeher was tested and did pass. If we win the thing she deserves her medal or trophy or whatever they get.

Ellis had a plan and it worked to a tee-- good on her.

I've just been replaying England-Cameroon, and I have a proposal for a rule change-- if a back pass starts in the six in the presence of attackers, a goalie is allowed to pick it up. That was ridiculous, and not at all the reason for the original rule change..

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri, TrueCrew, McSkillz and 3 others repped this.
  5. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    It's a fantastic headline, although not exactly accurate.
    Her hair is lavender. And it's lavender for a reason.

blissett repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From one at the game, some things that might not have been seen or obvious:

1. After the game, les Blues were devastated. Unlike in earlier games, the US players did not go to where their fans were to thank them and celebrate. Rather, once the handshaking and other things were done, the US players simply went to the locker room, leaving les Blues with the field to themselves, and they spent time thanking their fans. We US supporters were thrilled for the win, but all that I talked with also felt it for the French. Our US women leaving the field to the French was truly a class thing to do.

2. Being able to see the entire field, it seemed like there was a definite US overall plan on defense. When France was trying to play the ball out of the back, the US seemed to do what it could to prevent the French from playing the ball on the ground down their right side. Rather, they worked to limit the France options to Renard on the left. The US also played a quite high defensive line. I almost could see the wheels trying to turn in the French players' heads, as they tried to figure out where to play the ball and couldn't come up with many good options. For a good part of the game, the French seemed completely stymied about what to do.

bungadiri, ntxsage, jnielsen and 6 others repped this.
  7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #482 jackdoggy, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Best Match Day Experience Ever - no two ways about it.
    In an effort to give my friends the full USWNT experience and beat the traffic, we went to the A/O party early near the stadium. So early that there were 20 people there. Little did we know that a 100 new people would start arriving every 10 minutes for the next three hours. Seen a few things in XX years, but this was as the kids say “off the chain”.
    1BDD85F3-D4AB-4118-BF10-863202A3FB00.jpeg

8380F096-F108-4068-A190-D294CCC20343.jpeg
    Then, then the walk over to the Stadium - unbelievable.
    1E58756E-10D4-449C-B2FB-C24C8FDD59BB.jpeg
    Sure.....let’s shut down Paris traffic for 15 blocks early Friday evening. We marched down the middle of the streets just like we did 75 years ago when we liberated this place......exhilarating.

Got to Stadium an hour before and there was already a buzz. Crowd % was anybody’s guess - let’s call it 60/40 and move on. And the French despised every single Yank in attendance. Favorite moment always - - taking the pitch...
    089A2AE9-A28E-4536-B786-086608C1174C.jpeg

Match and the atmosphere was incredible. You would need to be E. Hemingway to put into words. Some day, they are going to X-ray Crystal’s chest and discover that her heart is twice the size as the rest of us.
    E27CE402-5731-46B1-8068-DE3BBCE57186.jpeg
    We are going to Lyon and the French are already home. And the skeptics, posers, cynics, vagabonds and non-believers can allllllllllllllllllllllll BITE ME.

soxfaninny, jjmack, jnielsen and 9 others repped this.
  8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as someone that can read French(thanks basic high school level requirements for college!), there seemed to be quite a few articles on that controversial handball with Kelly O'Hara. There was some stuff on Pinoe and Trump I think because many French are interested in that dynamic, obviously the French losing though made the front headlines of their newspapers with over a 1000 comments. A good chunk of those comments are on Kelly O'hara's handball in the box.

jnielsen, blissett and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  9. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Yeah, I get she did some other things in the game but as one of the worlds best strikers, she should be shooting and scoring. US had 10 shots, 8 on goal.... how many of those were from Morgan??

She has 5 goals...all from one game. We are supposed to be the most potent offense in the tournament. Sorry, but Carli Lloyd should start. She’s a clutch player. As mush as Rapinoe bothers me the with all her antics and the slowest person ever, she’s also clutch. Those 2 have proven time and again they get things done. I can’t say that Morgan is a clutch player....

10. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    The French spent days planning one thing: go down duh right flank. It's duh master plan. It will work. Becuz Dunn. Becuz Diani. It duh chosen flank. Duh.

Remember the very first goal they scored on opening day? How about both goals vs. Brazil? That's simply the side they go to when things get tough.

They had no plans. Zero plans vs. the number one team in the world. No plan A, no plan B, no nothing.

What a sad, sad story. Great players. Garbage coach.

11. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Alex Morgan contributed a lot to this win. The two goals don’t happen without her. Your analysis is very reductive. As if you’re assessing her performance from the stat line without having watched the match. Also she’s scored some clutch goals in her career. The 2011 World Cup final. The winning goal against Canada in the unforgettable Olympic semifinal. This was a tough match against a good team. A lot more goes into winning it than style points or gaudy stats. Everyone found their role and for Alex that was often dropping back into midfield to spring her teammates or applying defensive pressure. She was a big asset in this match. Not everyone will appreciate or agree with this. C'est la vie.

TrueCrew, kaged27, jackdoggy and 2 others repped this.
  12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man do I wish the broadcasters would add a separate camera feed as a PIP of the entire field, and keep it on ALL the time.

jnielsen and McSkillz repped this.
  13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you watch the feed from foxsports, they have alternative angles(one perspective that I believe switches between from the goalkeeper cam, and a whole stadium overview from the corner as if you where all the way up in the highest seating available. I don't believe there's any commentary on those feeds and they aren't close enough to see all the nuances but at least you don't see the weird replays and audience shots.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Hulu account, can I login to foxsports with those credentials?

EDIT: Hey, I just out that I can. That's Great!!

McSkillz repped this.
  15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fox, in their app, has one like that. I "Think" they call it the "Tactical cam." They may have more than one view.

jackdoggy, blissett, McSkillz and 2 others repped this.
  16. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I’ve watched every game. My response was to her performance over this entire World Cup, not simply this last game. I don’t see why it’s so hard for people to see she really isn’t having a good World Cup. And it’s unfortunate that Carli Lloyd, who clearly has said she disappointed being on the bench, and still has some gas in the tank, isn’t played more. I’d much rather see Carli play with some bite and tenacity, than watch Morgan flop around. And don’t get me wrong, I like Morgan, but this coach refuses to budge on anything. It’s frustrating.

McSkillz and kolabear repped this.
  17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #492 kolabear, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Isn't Davidson naturally a center back? Isn't she being looked at as the heir (heiress?) to Becky Sauerbrunn? I could be wrong on this

And now I see lil_one already made the point about Davidson being a center back. Davidson's also extremely good and appears able to play LB better than most LBs. If Davidson succeeded at LB that would be a breakthrough in the sport somewhat like Magic Johnson becoming the NBA's first 6'8 point guard :)

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely nothing against Carli Lloyd, but she is a defensive liability in midfield at this stage of her career, and I don't think she can do the entire center forward role the way Alex Morgan can.

I think she's well suited to the super sub role.

19. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Of course Lloyd is a defensive liability at midfield. That is why the change in '15 that brought Brian on and moved her upfront paid such dividends - on both ends of the pitch.

That being said, while Morgan contributed to the two goals, I felt she was a non-presence most of the game. I also felt that two of the three midfielders had subpar games but thought Ertz played well. And Dahlkemper gets praise from me; she was very consistent in anchoring the middle of the back line. But we will need a better midfield performance to beat England. I'd start Horan against England and I would also like to see Brian play, assuming she is fully healthy. Neither Mewes nor Lavelle has consistently impressed me.

Knight1Rider and Dfwsoccer01 repped this.
  20. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks for the sanity check. I also noted the absence of our midfield. This has to change if we are to beat England. Rapinoe was the player of the game. And, Dunn had to work her you-know-what off and under the circumstances acquitted herself well (and was able to make accurate attacking passes, unlike all of our midfielders other than Ertz).

21. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Which is why, of course, Brian and Horan should start!

Knight1Rider repped this.
  22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cpt you rascal, Semis? See you there.
    Lyon is begging for a McSkillz appearance.
    Glad that FofF gets to live this experience with his granddaughters.....they will remember the WWC but the great memories with their grandpa more.

cpthomas and blissett repped this.
  23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    @Knight1Rider where did you get these statistics?

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a gritty win.

But in all honesty, this was the most dominant performance I have ever seen an opponent have vs the USWNT (in a major tourney) save for Brazil 2007 WC semis. The 2004 Olympic Final (which we won) and the 2003 WC loss to Germany are the only other ones that come close.

I do not think we can win 3 40/60 games in a row.

I would make some changes in MF. I would consider:

1) Starting Horan. Mewis is the most like for like swap, but she was better than LaVelle last game.

2) Move Heath to MF. Saw this earlier in the tourney. This could allow Press to start, or, Morgan could move to RW and Lloyd at CF. Or Heath could be swapped for Lloyd straight up.

3) Move Ertz to CB & play Horan, Mewis, & Lavelle together.

Also, my recollection was Davidson was LB vs Chile: O'Hara--Abby--Sauerbrunn--Davidson. No way I yank Dunn after last game, however.

25. Knight1Rider

Knight1Rider Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 5, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on Twitter posted them. They may have gotten them from either fotmob, ussoccer, whoscored, or something like that.