WWC19 USA v ENGLAND Semifinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 28, 2019.

1. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 jackdoggy, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    SIR, you implying that I would spend any time in a Pub??!!??
    Second, I do not speak or read French. Nor do I care about the French Media :D:D:D

Semblance17, taosjohn and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    he’s pasting us with a ‘spying’ accusation! ‘cause our admins were apparently being shown accommodations of the same hotel they have been using....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/foot...llis-womens-world-cup-spt-intl-gbr/index.html

3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Phil Neville is basically the John Herdman of the women's game managers now. Always complaining about cheating and calling us arrogant. He should probably stop saying Ellen White is the greatest woman's player on Earth then in post-match interviews until they win the World Cup.

jnielsen, sitruc, Semblance17 and 2 others repped this.
  4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    lucy bronze?

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and McSkillz repped this.
  5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in France(Steve Urkel needs to get his transporter machine up and running so I can be sent there)

However, from reading the French articles online, with over 100s of comments on the US v England game, this one particular comment struck a chord with me and basically is the gist of the French commentators:

"Allez l'Angleterre que ce serait merveilleux que vous nous sortiez ces prétentieuses et arrogantes équipe des USAVAR!"

I'm sure you don't need me to translate that for you. :D:p

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White, Bronze, some such color...

jnielsen repped this.
  7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, cause I thought the French dislike the English more. History and all.

8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure some do but in this particular case, the quarter-final match is still fresh on their minds.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1145669293121523712 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    As an American I feel I need to ask this question: Is it even possible to be too arrogant?

MiLLeNNiuM and zdravstvuyte repped this.
  11. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Actually, my real beef is with AARON Neville. That yellow moon keeps creepin in my window.

jocasta, kolabear, MiLLeNNiuM and 3 others repped this.
  12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the English would have been inclined to think more favorably about Morgan if, instead of of sticking her tongue out while making the V for Victory sign, she had been wearing a bow tie and smoking a cigar.

MiLLeNNiuM and Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  13. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    I watched all of the first half and some of the second half of England’s game against Norway. Here is the line-up England started in the match, including their shape:

------------------------------------------Bardsley--------------------------------------

Bronze------------------Houghton---------------------Bright--------------Stokes

--------------------------------Scott-------------------Walsh--------------------------------

Parris--------------------------------------Kirby-----------------------------------Duggan

-----------------------------------------------White---------------------------------------------

Here is a link to soccerway’s interpretation of England’s formation against Norway:

https://us.soccerway.com/matches/20...-cup/norway/england/2972749/?ICID=HP_MS_04_01

Soccerway has England starting in a 4-1-4-1. But I tend to think it was more of a 4-2-3-1. Fran Kirby tended to play higher up the pitch than Jill Scott. But sometimes Scott was higher up the pitch than Keira Walsh, who sometimes played as the only defensive-midfielder in what amounts to a 4-1-4-1. What England may have done is started in a 4-1-4-1 and gravitated into a 4-2-3-1 as they game went on and they were content to protect their lead.

Fran Kirby has a low center of gravity and is skillful. She also reads the game well.

England's center forward Ellen White has a good positional sense. She knows where to put herself to get on the end of crosses. And she is good at making runs out of midfield so she can receive the ball with her back to goal and help England relieve pressure. And she’s a good finisher.

Against Norway, England’s strength was their right flank. Both Lucy Bronze and Nikita Parris are outstanding players. They both are fast and skillful. They’re going to be handful. If the US can keep possession and push forward, then Bronze is going to have to stay back. That would limit her ability to get into the attack, and Megan Rapinoe wouldn’t have to play much defense. But if England has the possession and is able to push forward, then it’s important for Rapinoe not to lose track of Bronze.

Against France, the US's Crystal Dunn had an excellent game. She neutralized Diani, who is one of France’s most dangerous players. Dunn is going to need to have a good game against England. Although Nikita Parris is not quite as explosive as Diani, she is more skillful. And there is always the threat of Bronze overlapping Parris.

England’s center-backs—Millie Bright and Steph Houghton—are physically strong and good passers. But they don’t seem that fast. Alex Morgan, Rapinoe and Tobin Heath may be able to get behind them. Both England’s outside backs—Bronze and Demi Stokes—seem to have good speed.

Here is the US line-up I would start against England:

---------------------------------------Naeher------------------------------------

O’Hara-------------Dahlkemper--------------Sauerbrunn-------------Dunn

-------------------------------------------Ertz----------------------------------------

----------------------Lavelle---------------------------Mewis or Horan-------------

Heath------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rapinoe

-------------------------------------------Morgan-----------------------------------------------

The one I can’t decide on is whether to start Lindsey Horan instead of one of the three central midfielders. The US will have played France only four days before their game against England, and England gets an extra day of rest. So, it would be good to start the fresher player, which is Horan. She played only 27 minutes against France, whereas Mewis played 82 minutes in the match, and Rose Lavelle 63 minutes. In addition, Horan is a good player. She is skillful, and she may be better at helping the US maintain possession than either Mewis or Lavelle. But, first, I would start Lavelle. Although she didn’t play particularly well against France, she has had a good tournament. And she is explosive and skillful.

But what about Horan or Mewis? Mewis has played well this tournament. And would starting Horan over Mewis negatively impact the team’s chemistry? I don’t know. My head says start Horan; my feelings say Mewis.

It’s important for Alex Morgan to try to be dangerous. She was too quiet against both Spain and France. She can’t let the physical play throw her off. When she’s playing with her back to goal, she just has to hold the ball as well as she can and pass the ball well. And she has got to find ways to help the attack.

However, if she struggles against England, Jill Ellis should be prepared to put Carly Lloyd into the game sooner than she did against Spain and France. Lloyd came on at the 85th minute against Spain and at the 82nd minute against France. Although Lloyd has lost a step, she seems to be less bothered by physical play than Morgan. Also, Lloyd’s crafty, a big game player, and would provide fresh legs. She also scored two goals in the US’s 3-0 win against Chile.

Dfwsoccer01, MiLLeNNiuM and JimWharton repped this.
  14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Do you already have gout?

roby and kolabear repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #90 Cliveworshipper, Jul 1, 2019
    No, but he had this conversation with madame Gout at 74

https://www.bartleby.com/109/3.html

Besides, I ride ( a bike) and play billiards, so according to her i should be fine.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #91 cpthomas, Jul 1, 2019
    It's a little hard to say, because I'm not sure the French we've talked to would say something negative about the US. We've only talked to those we've met in the streets, at meals, and so on, but the prevailing view seems to be -- by a lot -- that the US is the best team. And, it seems that the view of the US team is quite positive. The French are triste that les Bleues lost, as are we and almost every US fan we've talked to (although we'd rather have had the US win), but they harbor no animosity towards the US. It also seems they hardly know England exists.

My wife points out correctly, however, that the French mostly don't care about who the US is playing in the semis. They're sad that the French are not playing, but feel the better team won.

We indeed have had a chance to talk soccer with lots of people, French and other, during our time here. Included are the Executive Director of the USWNT Players' Association a couple of days ago in Paris and the FIFA director of sustainability (environmental issues) at dinner tonight, both of whom we ran into by chance.

jnielsen, Gilmoy, kolabear and 3 others repped this.
  17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well tomorrow instead of sitting at home in front of my 60 inch TV and watching the match with my granddaughters in a cool peaceful environment I have to rent a 150 inch outdoor screen and a projector and set them up pool side so my 13 year old and her summer crush and their friends and my 10 year old and her friends can watch all together.

I have to go through all that because I underestimated my girls.

About a year ago I taught them to play chess. (i played at about the 1990 level, just below master, many many many years ago but I have not played a competitive match for 25 years at least.) I figured with all my greater experience and wisdom (ha on that part) they could not possibly have learned enough in a year to beat me. (Yes my arrogance kills me, again.)

They wanted the poolside party and I wanted the nice day at home. So they challenged me to a "formal" two out of three mini chess tournament with the winners getting the viewing party they wanted. I was still OK but then I made what was to prove my big mistake. I allowed them to play as a team and they were allowed to confer as needed. I figured that any advantage that gave them would be offset by the tries for dominance that each one would try to pull. Boy was I wrong.

It turns out that the 10 year old (Almost 11 as she insists) is the better player and the 13 year old recognizes that. The 10 year old would play the main game with the 13 year old acting as adviser and whispering advice as needed.

They did not exactly wipe the floor with me, it took them seven games to get their needed two wins because there were four draws but they did win and they even managed to win one match with them having a rook, two knights and two pawns vs me having a queen and a bishop in the endgame. That is a very hard endgame because if I could trade my queen for their rook and the pawns it results in a draw because checkmate is impossible to force.

I lost and so I have spent time today running around getting the screen and projector and making sure the pool area where the now bigger than I imagined party will be set up and prepped for tomorrow.

I am sure I will enjoy myself but I am one tired puppy today.

Moral NEVER underestimate young girls and never ever make a bet you really do not want to lose.

BTW: The owners of the property where the pool is are very good sports. They are not even going to charge me rental. All I have to do is set everything up and clean up everything after. A grandpa's work is never done, particularly when he does something as stupid as I did.

The US better win now or I will never forgive them!!!

roby, Airox, jnielsen and 10 others repped this.
  18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Props FOF.
    Girls are the most fun to play at chess
    Get good shade over the screen if you can.
    #GodSpeed

Welcome to the night before everybody!

kolabear, McSkillz and Semblance17 repped this.
  19. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
  20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The location where the screen will be is shaded by a very large stand of trees that were there well before the Civil War. (That sounds so oxymoronish, Civil??? War) A couple of them are carrying wounds from then in the form of Confederate musket balls that have been found by metal detectors and one dug out to verify, the other 10-12 are left there to make the trees part of the history they witnessed.

Under those trees the darkness, even during the day, is quite deep.

After questioning I finally broke ;) the girls and they confessed that they have actually been working hard on becoming real good at chess so they could win something like this when needed. They kept their proficiency hidden until needed. Sneaky little blonds. ;)

They do not know it, at least yet, but I am VERY proud of them for working hard toward a goal that could not directly be seen. BUT I WILL GET EVEN!!!

BTW: I decided to go all out and I am cooking a traditional combination of a Texas and a Tennessee barbecue for all that will be there. It has been a VERY long time since I cooked for a large group (This is looking like 75-90 total) and I REALLY enjoy cooking like this. I have to tone the spices back a little because the kids, and many adults, around here have not been properly inducted into the world of "real" Texas cooking but I can provide side spice dispensers for those of us that want it more real.

This is looking like more fun than it started out as. We do not even have to worry about the mess on faces or hands or other body parts because the pool/lake is right there to jump into as needed.

I hope the sound is good because the system that I rented will put us right there and the crowd is important to the ambiance.

russ and blissett repped this.
  21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this English team better than the France team? Why or why not?

22. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Right now I believe they are. They are as skilled or almost as skilled at every position (with I believe superior goalkeeping) and they are, I believe coached by someone that really understands the game and can make on the fly adjustments quite well.

The English also seem "tighter" as a team than the French have been but that is a very subjective judgement.

The US will have all they can handle tomorrow BUT I believe that the US is overall more talented and that actually should make the difference.

jnielsen, McSkillz and Semblance17 repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  24. BrooklynBaby

BrooklynBaby Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Memphis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A lot of teams look good until they run into the U.S. buzzsaw.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  25. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, sorry, I don't feel sorry for you.
    Especially since I'm watching it on a 24" monitor.