WWC19 USA v ENGLAND Semifinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 28, 2019.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee's Resolution, proposed on June 7th, had 3 parts. There was the independence piece. There was a part on foreign relations. And a part devoted to preparing a plan for a confederation.

Voting on each part was timed differently. The independence part had voting delayed whilst support for independence was gathered in the states.

The Congress formed 3 committees to deal which each part of Lee's Resolution.

5 for Independence (John Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, Sherman, Livingston). They were appointed June 11 in case the resolution on independence should pass so a declaration of independence for the people could be ready. Which it did on July 2nd. And the declaration (largely written by Jefferson with the edits you mentioned from the others + Congress) was then read out and distributed on July 4th.

5 for foreign relations (John Adams, Franklin, Dickinson, Harrison, Morris) were appointed the next day (June 12th). It made it's first report mid July. Mostly written by Adams. Congress made amendments and referrals back to the committee over the next 2 months and it was adopted on Sept. 17.

And a committee of 1 from each state to form a draft constitution for confederation.

Point being, yeah, what was passed on July 2 was significantly different than the original resolution, but the lion's share of the differences were because Congress split it into 3 parts.

Lee's Resolution on independence passed on July 2nd. Unanimously.

The Declaration (approved by Congress) was an explanation to the people of why Congress had voted for independence (passed the Lee Resolution on independence).

CoachJon repped this.
  2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why are we discussing the Civil War, when this game is clearly the Revolutionary War? :p

"One if by land, and two if by set piece!"

jnielsen and jackdoggy repped this.
  3. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I was just thinking that... talk about OT...
    Jeez..

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #54 Cliveworshipper, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019

Try and keep up. The Lee being discussed is Richard Henry, not his poorer relatives Lighthorse Harry or Bob.

It was revolutionary:thumbsup:

5. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "He certainly has courage."
    -"What good will it do us if he gets himself killed?"

----Some really obscure science fiction movie no one's ever heard of

Cliveworshipper and zdravstvuyte repped this.
  6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #56 Cliveworshipper, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019

You mean when John Adams threatened to blow up Alderaan?

https://allthatsinteresting.com/founding-fathers-bad/3

jnielsen repped this.
  7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You really think "Star Wars" is obscure?

Oh, I get it that is sarcasm? It is just too deep for this old brain.
    Now I will need treatment for "brain sprain." You have injured me severely.

8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Bill me."
    -Tony Stark, Iron Man 3

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been following the 3 Lionesses on Twitter, etc. Phil Neville is charismatic and is smart about football and the needs of the players. The team is loose and confident, and talented. What a game it should be.
    I say the US should not change our back 4 and should sub in Lloyd and Press at the half for Morgan and Pinoe. I also agree on starting Horan for Lavelle. If they allowed 6 subs in the WC, the US would have walked away with this already.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should point out that in this match GK A. Franch (in her first cap) picked up a long back pass (from Pugh, I think) in the 18 which gave England an indirect FK about 15 yards out, which Steph Houghton converted.

The USA out-shot England 20-6 and had five corner kicks to England’s one in this match. So, I think the USA had a good chance of winning this game, if not for that one GK error.

Stats Summary: USA / ENG
    Shots: 20 / 6
    Shots on Goal: 5 / 3
    Saves: 1 / 2
    Corner Kicks: 5 / 1
    Fouls: 7/ 7
    Offside: 2/ 1

Misconduct Summary:
    None

jjmack, BostonRed and Kevin625 repped this.
  11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same age as on the day Ben signed the DOI or the day he died? Lol!

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    LOL. When he signed.

I apparently still have ministries to France and Sweden, endowments of schools in Philadelphia and Boston, publishing of Gulf Stream studies in France, membership in a couple scientific societies on two continents, participation in the writing of a Constitution, a governorship and a couple other endeavors ahead of me. On the way I hope to chat with the leading scientists and Philosophers of the day.

Better get busy.

CoachJon, Semblance17 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the France game reminded us, a recent friendly doesn't always have bearing on the way a WWC game will play out. England is in great form and playing well. It's going to be a battle.

jackdoggy, McSkillz, Semblance17 and 2 others repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I lived for a time, if you can call it that, with our neighbors across the pond and the one thing I can say is that judging as someone that grew up in Texas where we went straight from mother's milk to jalapenos the English can remove the flavor from food better than any other ethnic group.

I have no idea how they can grow such healthy specimens of young womanhood feeding them on a typical English diet.

This will be a real slug-fest where neither the US or England will have an athleticism advantage. If it remains hot in France, as it looks like it will, neither team will fade unless it is so hot that both do so.

This match will come down to skill and execution and in that based on performance this WWC England has a VERY slight advantage while the US has a historical advantage.

My biggest concern (from a US standpoint) is that it could come down to defense and goalkeeping and THAT is the only area where England has a clear advantage. The US can reduce that advantage by playing Ertz at central defense instead of midfield and bringing Horan into the midfield. The US can do nothing about the clear advantage England has at goalkeeping except try very hard to make sure that the shots are well seen by the keeper.

I am, once again, going to make a very hard prediction: It could go either way.

Kevin625 repped this.
  15. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    And Brian over Mewes. We need midfield control.

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree on this one. Mewis has played very well, and we need her height to win clearances and on set pieces.

17. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hey...just a heads up. Mama mia was given a "Sea Onion" potted plant back in the mid 40's by a Polish refugee. We've always referred to it as a Polish Sea Onion and it produces baby onions that can be transplanted. I have 4 pots around the house and my kids and grand kids do also. :coffee:

Gilmoy repped this.
  18. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    What the hell is going on in this thread? I dropped in to bitch about Gary Neville and I can’t find anything but Revolutionary War history and movie quotes. [emoji53][emoji53][emoji53]

jnielsen repped this.
  19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just in time for the vegetables subplot :laugh:

20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #70 jackdoggy, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Sure you all will see it in the overnights but Neville is laying it on thick over here:
    • It’s the Ugly Arrogant Americans vs. lil ol’ us with our Halos
    • Being the intelligent, highly evolved society like the French, I’m sure they will support good over evil.
    Does he really think anyone will buy this load of cr*p??? Well wait, if anyone would it might be........:D:D

McSkillz and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 MiLLeNNiuM, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Maybe Gary's the problem?!! :confused::eek::D

PS - Phil is the coach of England's women's team.

sitruc, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious JD and @cpthomas , who are the French rooting for in this matchup? In the media, on the streets, and in the pubs?

24. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Yes. Thank you.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  25. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think I was posting that information more for myself.
    I'm worried about this match because England match up well against us.
    Having said that, the stats I posted above gave me some hope.

jnielsen repped this.