WWC19 USA v ENGLAND Semifinal, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nike number one jersey seller!

1145008651775676416 is not a valid tweet id

jnielsen and Semblance17 repped this.
  2. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Mo Money.
    Mo TV ratings.
    Mo cultural goodness.

I’d pay them twice what the men’s team get + bonuses

3. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    As some of you may know... I live in the UK.
    And as I have a few weeks off work I’ll be entrenched deep in enemy territory for this one.
    The boss at my local pub has warned me again not to be too vociferous about my beloved team during the match so I have decided to go off strategy and wear all my USWNT swag and wrap a frickin Stars and Stripes over me as well.

Hope I don’t get ‘glassed’

edcrocker, jnielsen, CoachJon and 7 others repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also took out, "No, I'm not going to the *** Palace."

5. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Dunn played RB the entire tournament and dominated.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    Did anyone see Hope Solo's piece in the Guardian on how to beat US? Very strange, disjoint writing and all together weird!

McSkillz repped this.
  7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 MiLLeNNiuM, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    No, and not interested. I do think she was a great keeper, though.
    Why do you think she's writing for the Guardian and not for a U.S. media outlet?

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I saw that it was there and then I succeeded in ignoring it.

I can tell anyone that cares EXACTLY how to beat the US and I do not need multiple paragraphs to do it: All you must do is score at least one more goal than the US. It really is that simple.

Semblance17, 2in10 and McSkillz repped this.
  9. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I just read her article. I didn’t think it was that bad..

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How to beat the US: by MC Skillz

If Allie Long starts, then you’ve got a chance

Get Dunn out of position, you’ve got a chance

Score within 12 minutes, you’ve got a chance

Jill Ellis doesn’t make any subs, you’ve got a chance

It will become a New York Times bestseller. Thanks for the inspiration.

zdravstvuyte repped this.
  11. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If England scores first then the US may struggle and be forced to push up. I don't think any US defender can mark White one on one..
    Gonna be a good game btwn to good teams. Just think- the winner gets German in the final?

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    germany will be surprised.

sitruc, jnielsen, Semblance17 and 5 others repped this.
  13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Try again: That is not likely since Sweden beat Germany in the quarters.

sitruc, Semblance17, jjmack and 2 others repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I sure hope so...

2in10 and McSkillz repped this.
  15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 4 teams left: USA vs England AND Sweden vs Netherlands.
    Germany are out of contention for a medal / podium finish.

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This waiting part really stinks. No matches for another 57+ hours.

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well someone cancel that Germany flight back home then pronto!!!!

18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate this and then the fact that the World Cup is almost over already and we have to wait another 4 years..... gahhhhhhhhhhh AT least we have the Olympics next year and the Euros.... we get one bum year in 2022...

I wish we had more cup matches every year like the men do.... like a league world cup or something at least.

Semblance17, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  19. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Do you happen to have Swedish ancestry? That behaviour is very common here.

20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fixed your post:D:D:D

Semblance17, MiLLeNNiuM and McSkillz repped this.
  21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee's Resolution was the real step, however, in declaring independence to the English. The Declaration was just to help sell it to the people.

Lee was the more senior delegate from Virginia. Jefferson the more junior. Lee got the Resolution, Franklin gave Jefferson the Declaration. Funny how things worked out.

But if one really wants to get wonky about independence, this is what you are talking about. Not 2 versions of the Declaration.

Lee's Resolution was proposed on June 7th and passed on July 2nd.

When Franklin became aware that passage was likely, he knew they had to sell it to the people. He was envisioning more of a list of grievances vs King George, but Jefferson produced more of a general manifesto of individual liberty instead.

And yes, Franklin did some editing. Most famously replacing 'sacred' with 'self-evident' after "we hold these truths to be" because he wanted reason, not religion, as the well-spring of liberty.

But I agree, July 2nd is the day when the split became real.

Semblance17 and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the match.

The MF was awful vs France. I would think about swapping out LaVelle and Mewis.

Horan has to start. I might try to get Lloyd up top as well. Heath to LaVelle's spot, Morgan wide, Carli up top.

That is a lot of changes, however.

If someone has dead legs, Ellis has to rest them.

23. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    The town in Northern Poland where my father was born was sacked by Swedes in the 17th Century. Does that count? :laugh:

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #49 Cliveworshipper, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019

Lee’s resolution never passed a vote of the delegates. The resolution of July2 that was voted on and resulted in the official adoption of independence was a decidedly different document.

As to the parts of Jefferson’s draft that we’re removed between July 2 and July 4, the few amendments like “self evident” were not the seminal changes. They mostly came at the end of the document, including a sizable passage condemning the institution of slavery and Blaming King George and his predecessors for the promulgation of the practice. These passages were added before the July 2 vote, approved, and then removed sometime on July 3 or July 4. It was written by Jefferson, who didn’t free his slaves in his lifetime, except maybe 1 or 2 of his sons by Sally Hemmings.

The passage including in the version that was approved for independence had the following lines:, Speaking of George III:

he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people, who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. this piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce: and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished dye, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them by murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.”

These lines were strongly opposed by the Delegates from Georgia and S.Carolina, probably because the economy of those and other Southern states were so intwined with “violating its most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people, who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere,”

And the delegates weren’t stupid. They knew that the Somerset v. Steuart decision of 1772 was a de facto abolition of slavery in England and Wales four years prior to the declaration. For Southern States, they saw that abolition might come to them. And that is how Northern Free trade states and southern Slave states formed their curious union that still haunts us.

Lord Mansfield, the Judge of the Court of Kings Bench, wrote:

¨ The state of slavery is of such a nature that it is incapable of being introduced on any reasons, moral or political, but only by positive law , which preserves its force long after the reasons, occasions, and time itself from whence it was created, is erased from memory. It is so odious, that nothing can be suffered to support it, but positive law. Whatever inconveniences, therefore, may follow from the decision, I cannot say this case is allowed or approved by the law of England; and therefore the black must be discharged.´

The Slave, Somerset, was freed/

Slavery was at this point unsupported by English common Law and by 1807, trafficking in slaves was outlawed. In 1811. it was a felony to own slaves in England, and Between 1838 and 1843 was abolished everywhere in the Empire. Had independence not occurred, slaves might have been freed in America 20 years earlier. In fact, slavery increased dramatically in the South after independence.

The other part removed was a pining for what might have been. Jefferson Wrote:

“we might have been a free & a great people together; but a communication of grandeur and of freedom, it seems, is below their dignity. be it so, since they will have it: the road to happiness and to glory is open to us too; we will climb it apart from them, and acquiesce in the necessity which denounces our eternal separation!”

Ok, maybe that was an eloquent sun don’t shine passage. If you are separating, a passage bemoaning what might have been seemed stupid.

Slaves were supposed to have been freed under US law by 1820, but that never happened. That’s a whole different story.

CoachJon and TrueCrew repped this.
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Probably not. My ancestor was a Polish count who formed a regiment of Dragoons who fought for Gustavus Adolpus. Last i checked, the regiment still exists as a ceremonial regiment in thr Swedish Army. For all i know, he might have been involved in the sacking. I’ve always wandered what wold happen if i went back to Poland to claim ancestral lands confiscated under communism...