wwc u.s. vs colombia june 22nd pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jun 18, 2015.

1. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Yeah not every game but it sure seems like their pattern. Last World Cup Semi-final:

Stats Summary: USA / FRA
    Shots: 11 / 25
    Shots on Goal: 5 / 8
    Saves: 7 / 2
    Corner Kicks: 5 / 11
    Fouls: 12/ 10
    Offside: 2 / 4

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    The one was positive regarding Pia too in the early years after 2-3 it started to be more negative and after not winning WWC 2011 became more so. Elis is a bit unique in that it was fairly negative from the start.

kool-aide repped this.
  3. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Thus far I have seen Germany, France, and Japan play to a standard that is capable of winning this tournament. We have not seen that level of performance from the US. All teams want to improve as the tournament goes on but the US women have much more of a gap to close than the other contenders. The concerns that people have are legitimate. They are not entirely the neurotic ramblings of impossible to please fans. Nor are they the kvetching of casual big event armchair critics filing onto the scene (if anything to some degree it seems the opposite to me). These concerns are borne from reasonable misgivings not only about the performance of this team at this World Cup but about the long term state of the US women's program. You can see from the threads here in the last couple weeks and over the last of couple years that many if not most of the posters that express these concerns are long time followers of this team. You will always have second guessing from fans. It's the nature of sports. But it's perhaps not quite fair to project onto many of us critics an image of sulking manic obsessives capable of nothing but griping. There is substance there even if some of the less critical contributors seem to see it as just noise.

Namdynamo and kool-aide repped this.
  4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't relentlessly negative w/ Pia at the start. And I agree that some of the negativity re: Pia was misplaced & OTT. Sermanni was still in his honeymoon period w/ the fans. Even GR had that. With Ellis, at least from my perspective, at least the views of her coaching abilities & not wanting her near the head USWNT job have been pretty consistent since 2010.

Isn't that how it is with every team fan board? ;)

sitruc repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #955 Cliveworshipper, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015

The ball being outside the 18 doesn't make it not DOGSO. whether the PLAYER is in the box or not when fouled only determines whether there is a PK or free kick.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    qft!

7. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok....getting a little tired of France hype. With that win France is now 1-17, all time, against the US. And, more recently, the US beat France in the Algarve. French women's soccer was, too recently, a joke to be taken THAT seriously. They need to win something before they get respect. Give me France over Germany in the semis [should we get there] all day.

Yes, they have better ball skills- but ask El Tri how that's working out for them them against the USMNT for the past 15 years.

Don't get me wrong, we look like s*** and we'll probably lose to either team in the semis but let's focus on why we're deficient and not pretend that there are now 3 UEFA women's powers instead of just Germany and Sweden.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #958 Cliveworshipper, Jun 26, 2015

2 wins

They beat the USA 1-0 in 1990. No verification which BS pundits had them going all the way in 1991

9. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  11. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #962 Kel Varnsen, Jun 26, 2015
    Weirdness. I'm looking at their media guide and they have 6 results for 1990:

July 25, 1990 Norway 4-0 W Winnipeg, Canada
    July 27, 1990 Canada 4-1 W Winnipeg, Canada
    July 29, 1990 Norway 4-2 W Winnipeg, Canada
    Aug. 5, 1990 USSR 8-0 W Blaine, Minn.
    Aug. 9, 1990 England 3-0 W Blaine, Minn.
    Aug. 11, 1990 W. Germany 3-0 W Blaine, Minn

The only games in Varna listed:

April 1, 1991 Yugoslavia 8-0 W Varna, Bulgaria
    April 2, 1991 Bulgaria 3-0 W Varna, Bulgaria
    April 3, 1991 Hungary 6-0 W Varna, Bulgaria
    April 5, 1991 France 2-0 W Varna, Bulgaria
    April 7, 1991 USSR 5-0 W Varna, Bulgaria

Either masseyratings.com has it wrong or the Fed is padding their stats!

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Massey has the USA going 6-1, including wins over West Germany and the Soviet Union.

[​IMG]

Things are a little sketchy back then. Women played 40 minute halves in the first tournament, which wasn't even called a World Cup at the time.

13. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, somebody call Dorrance or Akers. Where were they on 4/17/90? Losing to Les Bleus in Bulgaria or sleeping one off stateside?

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Her's what Massey has for France in 1990

[​IMG]

Like I said. Things were sketchy back then. I remember not getting results for weeks. It's not even clear FIFA was keeping track.

15. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need a third source. If I cared enough, I may VERY WELL had found it...

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  17. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    What the hell does France's team 2 and a half decades ago have to do with their team now? Moreover, it doesn't matter what the historical head to head is at this moment. It didn't for Japan four years ago. They're not the #3 ranked team in the world by accident.

[​IMG]

Namdynamo repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Just keeping the facts straight. Among which is that France is probably #4 behind Japan after their Colombia loss.

thegreathoo and Kel Varnsen repped this.
  19. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France needs to win a tourney, beat the US and Germany consistently and keep an elite form for at least 5 years before they're in the conversation. Gotta earn it.

Heroic losses on PKs, sh***** your pants against Colombia and "Oooohh, that Necib surely is tempestuous and alluring" does not an elite team make.

thegreathoo repped this.
  20. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Your welcome to that opinion. I don't put much stock in it. Especially the bit about not being one of the world powers from UEFA and placing the Swedes above them. Seems absurdly off base but whatever.

21. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Member

Jun 23, 2006
    NW Washington, DC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for not flipping out on me, BS style. I respect your opinion too. France has potential, they're just not there yet.

I'm basing this off WC results, Olympics results and Euro results- you see Germany, Sweden, Norway, hell, even Netherlands and England [though France is def better than those last 2] as among top finishers. You just don't see France.

22. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have missed them making the semifinals at the previous WWC and Olympics. A fever dream, surely.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Did they win any games past the Quarters??

24. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Your list of what constitutes the current best teams in the world must be exceedingly small.