PBP: WWC Semifinal USA vs Germany June 30 - Montreal pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by SaintNdaCity, Jun 26, 2015.

1. crews46

crews46 Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but if we're in the realm of "should haves.." then Germany should have already been down to ten players for some truly awful, late persistent fouls against Rapinoe, and then the JJ foul never happens. The holding of Lloyd in the box I'm not as concerned about since I agree that is not often called, but the pull-down of Morgan in the box was a blatant penalty, whether you think she embellished or not. Both of those are "should haves" not "could have's". So before the JJ foul or the US PK, the US "should have" been up 1-0 playing 11 vs 10. At which point, the "should have's" you are mentioning don't happen, or don't matter if they do.

2. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Then the JJ foul never happens? Are you watching Quantum Leap?

10-4. Kudos for not saying 3-0 and 11 v 7.

3. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Law10 what is your purpose posting in here? Is it just to express a divergent opinion or is it to deliberately wind up people? Because between your posts after the Colombia match, following the semifinal, and your posting history since August 2012 a very distinct pattern emerges. This part of the forum is going to be filled with American fans and our opinions are obviously not going to be entirely objective much of the time. But you're not exactly going to be the best candidate to offer the alternative voice of reason to counter any perceived homerism are you? I'd give more weight to Don Cherry's opinions on Russian Hockey players than I would to your views on anything related to the USWNT.

Morris20 and Dom. FC repped this.
  4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I've been tempted to be repping them just so I can un-rep them because there is no longer a neg rep option. If non-American -- why here, if American -- self-loathing or doesn't like women? Occam's Razor favors that last one, while the handle presumes maybe a Dr. Joe wanna-be "I know so much more" (after I see slow motion replays from 5 angles and gather everyone else's input). And then I can selectively discuss them, skipping the shoulda, coulda, wouldas that don't fit my agenda

5. crews46

crews46 Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't take a physicist to know that being up a player and ahead 1-0 would alter the game play so much that the odds of an exactly similar play developing that would cause the JJ foul would be astronomically small.

6. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just so I am clear. A poster has claimed:

Disagreeing that Johnston should have received a red card is equivalent to being a Holocaust denier? :confused:

profeacutec repped this.
  7. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    A poster claimed "Fact is there is plenty of debate on both sides of both PK calls" implying the Johnson PK was 50/50. That's not the case at all. There is hardly anyone saying it wasn't a penalty.

8. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Alternate universe logic? Really? If you play that logic the whole game never happens.

9. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I cannot speak for that poster but I think the debate doesn't center around PK or no PK. I think people are discussing/debating/asking if PK and yellow was correct or did it have to be PK and red

Calci0 repped this.
  10. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010

Yeah OK sure Germany didn't get the breaks...

profeacutec, Morris20, BostonRed and 2 others repped this.
  11. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Noticed that too huh....

12. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    ah...thanks so much for this video...everyone has been talking about the no call against morgan, but I could not find it anywhere. WOW!!! that one seems beyond obvious.. how does that not get called?

orcrist repped this.
  13. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    referring to the holocaust reference---this kind of crap is really crazy... I am as fanatical as any soccer enthusiast out there, but comparing things that happen in a GAME to the holocaust (and when Germany is actually part of the discussion) is so completely far beyond ridiculous. It's offensive. Someone else was making WWII metaphors involving both Germany AND Japan.
    PLEASE.....Sports are a good way to get away from ACTUAL SAD REALITIES OF HUMAN EXISTENCE, not things to compare them to.

profeacutec, kool-aide and htide repped this.
  14. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Thanks for the lecture but that wasn't a reference to the Germans. It was a reference to denial.

15. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I love how you ignored the video of Germany mugging our players in the first half and this doesn't even show what Maier was doing to Rapinoe. Germany was playing prison rules soccer in the first half and should have been down to 10 or perhaps even 9 for their thuggish tactics.

16. crews46

crews46 Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so you are saying that if the ref called the PK on Morgan in the first half and sent off one of the german players in the first half - is she "should have" done - that the germans and the US would play the same way in the second half to replicate the play that creates the foul? OK, but that's interesting logic in the alternative universe you are in.

Bottom line, the no red card for DOGSO is a non-call, just like the non-call the US didn't get for Morgan getting pulled down in the box. The ref not being in position to see that Morgan was fouled outside the box is the same as the ref not being in position to see the brutal late takedown of Rapinoe on the break that should have resulted in a second yellow and sending off. Both sides benefitted equally from the ref's choices. The better side won. It was a fair result.

Morris20 repped this.
  17. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I didn't ignore it. I said you can mug people in the box and not get called for fouls like those. Check out a corner in the BPL. Superman couldn't peel the arms off him. Which ironically in this tournament they clamped down on. Selecting a couple favorable clips is just that. Maier was aggressive, she got carded for it. It was a take no prisoners game like a semi-final should be.

18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Sorry but I can't even take hypotheticals of what would have happened to extend some theory on a later call in the game seriously. But even that is more reasonable than the mathematics in the second arcane paragraph. Non-call, non-call, not being in a position to see, not being in a position to see... wow.

19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    I SEE NOTHING

20. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I don't see things any different but this isn't going anywhere or pleasant for anyone. Of which I take responsibility for provoking. That wasn't the intent, it turned into that when it became pile on the rabbit. I need a sub.

21. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I completely retract the bit about a pattern of posting since 2012 (and Mr. Cherry). It just stems from the fact that your username has cropped up in most of the the quarreling exchanges since the US/CAN semi, which isn't the same thing as I insinuated re: a pattern going back three years. My memory is probably projecting unfairly.

But moving beyond that, going back to your post Colombia match arguments I did find your persistence on the PK in that match strange. It seemed like you were meticulously probing and dissecting any possible angle for which to mount a counter argument. More like a prosecuting lawyer than a casual soccer fan. Now you're in here again stating the US got the breaks whilst pointedly downplaying the valid point that Germany also got some big breaks in this match. So I don't necessarily think that there was an established pattern but one might be emerging.

22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Let's be honest. There is a pattern.

Tsunami and Morris20 repped this.
  23. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH

When people get mugged in the box it should be a pk. That there are other instances where the ref failed to make the appropriate call is immaterial. Krahn's two handed grab, hold, and pull down of Morgan when the ball was at her feet inside the box is as clear a pk as you'll see in this sport.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  24. crews46

crews46 Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you called sub, but one last point. If your contention is true, that earlier calls don't affect later performance in the match, then the US wins 1-0 anyway. You can't have it both ways.

Also, while you may not have been saying it, others, including the German coach, have been saying that even though the penalty was missed, going up a player if JJ was sent off would have changed the match. All I'm saying is that so would have other non-calls that would have gone the US's way.

25. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOUssocer... thanks for posting what qualities are displayed by CHAMPIONSHIP teams. I've been talking about similar qualities on other threads -- hopefully some people will understand what is important and what are just bellyaching excuses. I have no time for the latter.