WWC 2015 Group stage: US vs Sweden pre/pbp/post, June 12

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jun 9, 2015.

1. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    #101 beerslinger23, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Like I just said run a three front with Amy, Sydney and Christen up top. Start heath for Holiday and bring Morgan, Brian and if necessary Abby on as late subs. Take it right down their throat and win. Possession based soccer is overrated. It's dangerous attacks, clinical finishing and good defense that win championships. Speed is deadly. Look at what Klinsmann is doing for the men's team. ceding possession early on, wearing attackers down and going for meaningful possession to generate QUALITY chances, then finishing them. On the men's side our strike rate is very good. One of the best in the world over the last year or so because they are creating quality chances and finishing them with less than stellar talent. On the women's side we have the best attacking corps in the world in my opinion. Just attack attack attack! If route 1 soccer wins one more world cup for us then fine.

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Lloyd your DM in that set-up? Are you playing a triangle in CM? If you play flat CMs (Heath--Lloyd--Rapinoe) there isn't much D there.

It might work against Sweden, but Germany is another matter. That's what we need to be building towards. The SF date with Germany. Winning the group is the first step, however.

3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hotel lobby packed w/ Outlaws.
    Shuttle bus to game.
    Labatt's is flowing and being consumed freely.
    GO USA
    I believe.

4. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My kids during the last game.

Android Cat, McSkillz and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going to point out that the bolded part has not been a habit of the WNT lately. This team usually creates a slew of chances, especially against weaker opponents which Sweden is not, but struggles in finishing them.

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #106 BrooklynSoccer, Jun 12, 2015
    The first thing we should do is move Lloyd back to Dmid, where she played in 2012-13 on this team, remember the Olympics? She is right now, on this team, our best option for dmid, unfortunately. Let's put Brian in front of her, she's our best central passer. (ya'll remember when Pia toyed with Cheney as dmid? it didn't work then either)
    Third thing we should do is put Dunn on the right wing. oh wait.

ok so my line up would be:

Kriegs-JJ-Rampone-Kling
    ----------Lloyd-----------
    Heath---Brian-----Pinoe
    ------Press---Syd------

BUTT - Sweden has a slow back-line, so we may want to start Arod up top and do a 4-3-3

--------Lloyd-------
    ---Brian-----Pinoe--
    --Arod--Press--Syd--

Heath worries me as a starter, on the right wing. She doesn't get around players, she doesn't get crosses in..
    but what else can we do but start her? Hao is a mystery at this point. Press is waisted out there...

I'd like to see Rampone play the second half, we may need her against Nigeria.
    Morgan comes in with 15-20 minutes or so left in the game.

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Semblance17 repped this.
  9. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Just like it did in 2011? I'm sorry, but it is 4 years later and most teams have gotten so much better technically and tactically. It just won't work. You can see that even team like Norway is trying to pass the ball around. And let's not forget that Even Pellerud was a Norwegian coach when Silvia Neid was playing for German WNT, not coaching them.

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Chalupny will play today? She's from my hometown.

11. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our backline doesn't have to be slow for the Nigeria game though. Play Engen and Sauerbrunn at CB with Rampone and O'Hara on the outside and that speed for Nigeria is negated.

Semblance17 repped this.
  12. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I keep hearing this but I don't believe it. We'll see. And remember in 2011 we lost to the swedes, beat brazil in pens a man down for quite some time and rolled france. Morgan was a halftime sub and Japan had no answer for her. They had to make a tactical red card foul near the box to stop her from scoring in ET near the final stoppage time and we lost on pens. Japan did not out play the US nor did they "deserve to win". I believe speed kills. Use it or lose it. We are no a technical side. We have techincal players but we are not technical through the best XI and the bench. PLay to our strengths. Speed up top, fitness in the middle with some technical ability and toughness and intelligence in the back with a brilliant keeper. No reason to deviate from the rudiments of what makes this team special because media thinks we should. The media want Electronica, we are punk rock. Basic, fast and right up the ass.

13. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I think he must have been talking about LeRoux. We all know Leroux is speedy;)

14. FC Radar USA

FC Radar USA Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    [QUOTE="

ok so my line up would be:

Kriegs-JJ-Rampone-Kling
    ----------Lloyd-----------
    Heath---Brian-----Pinoe
    ------Press---Syd------

BUTT - Sweden has a slow back-line, so we may want to start Arod up top and do a 4-3-3

--------Lloyd-------
    ---Brian-----Pinoe--
    --Arod--Press--Syd--

.[/QUOTE]

Lineup looks fine, except switch Brian and lloyd. Lloyd is too offensive minded to stay in position deep. Ibelieve I saw a few games at UVA where Brian played a holding midfield role. And given her youth, I am sure she would be more willing to follow instructions in exchange for being on pitch.....reality is that this my be the game to bring in Shannon Boxx. Run her for 60 minutes or so then sub in Holiday or Brian.

lunatica repped this.
  15. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    You don't think Japan deserved to win in 2011 and USA were very lucky to win that QF? Ok. I don't think I'm gonna convince you now, but let's see, maybe results of this WWC can do it.

16. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    It was more like deep-lying playmaker role that Brian played at UVa sometime last fall but it seems that is also what Ellis prefers.

17. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Anxious about this game. The lineup will either increase my anxiety or lessen it (do the right thing Jill).

Semblance17 repped this.
  18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well as the first post I guess in the Nigeria -- US game thread -- good for us that Nigeria is starting the same 11 that played all 90 minutes against Sweden. Figured I would put this here though anyways.

McSkillz repped this.
  19. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see I told you guys..... by the time Nigeria gets to us, they will be tired.

20. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    they look really tired today, right now.

21. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 ForeverLOST108, Jun 12, 2015
    Starting Lineup for the US:

1-Solo, 2-Leroux, 4-Sauerbrunn, 10-Lloyd (c), 11-Krieger,12-Holiday, 14-Brian, 15-Rapinoe, 19-Johnston, 22-Klingenberg, 23-Press

Sweden:

Lindahl; Fischer; Dahlkvist; Schelin (c); Jakobsson; Ilestedt; Sjogran; Nilsson; Seger; Samuelsson; Rubensson

EbaJones, McSkillz, ChrisSSBB and 2 others repped this.
  22. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I like it!

23. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A 4-3-3 or is Brian/Lloyd out on the wing again?

24. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Yes lets see what happens. Even if the USA are the best or second best team they still only have a 30 percent chance to win it all. I just don't buy the narrative that their soccer is passe. Even if they don't win it all I still won't buy it.

25. sprout

sprout Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    My guess is we stick with a 4-4-2 with Brian coming infield from the right.