WWC 2015 Group stage: US vs Sweden pre/pbp/post, June 12

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jun 9, 2015.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think USWNT seemed okay with the tie at some point because they didn't seem to take many chances with this game. They didn't play like they were desperate for the three points. I didn't see a lot of high pressure and I'm wondering if they were extra careful because of the counterattack Sweden unleashes. I'm not saying that's how they should play in this match but they have to turn it up like 1000 percent in the knockout stages and not play for ties unless they plan on doing PK's more than once(and we all know how that turned out for them). Anyways, Sweden totally bunkered on us(at one point it seemed like the whole entire team was in the box)so obviously they were okay with a tie and facing Australia for a guaranteed win. My worry is we don't know how to score against bunkering teams and I'm not sure if that's the last team we are going to face with a frustrating defense.

As for Pinoe, she's been playing well in this tournament and is the least of our worries so I'm not sure why calling her out on whatever she does in her personal life is anyone's business.

The father's that bring their daughters/sons to these games are pretty funny. From what I've observed at these USWNT games is the father will often explain to their child in great detail what's going on the pitch occasionally inserting his own opinions along the way. The children of course may or may not enjoy this and usually they are found sporting a Alex Morgan or Abby Wambach shirt. Yes they scream whenever these two players so much as adjust their hair. I don't expect them to be as knowledgeable as the father or care at that age because they are only 8-11 years old. They are there to see their role models play and win the game. I usually just smile if I overhear "Alex could have put that away blah blah blah". I don't think the dad wants to say something like "well actually they totally suck right now so shut it" although imagining a parent saying that to shut the screaming little girls up would make me laugh out loud.

sitruc repped this.
  2. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Did Anson Dorrance use USWNT as a recruiting tool for UNC women's soccer back in the 90s?

3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Most kids don't understand sports. They are into the hero worship and the superhuman element. They buy the Nike ads hook line and sinker but they don't understand the concept of athletic primes, form, movement off the ball and anything more complex than the most rudimentary tactics. Even many kids who play soccer don't get it. That big picture view comes with age and experience. When I watch our team defending I don't even look at the ball carrier and the player defending them directly. I am looking at the movement of the defenders behind them and that of the GK as well as the movement of the attacking players as they go on their runs and try to crack the defense. You could replace all of the players with stick figures and it would look the same to me and I am not some coaching brain who REALLY understands the sport. Kids are myopic in their thinking.

bigredfutbol and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...usually a black eye, looks like she's be in a street fight. And won... :)

5. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes we are. You're free to disagree with me *shrug*

6. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem on the right side is who is playing outside midfield? We start with Brian in a position she has played maybe three times? Then we rotate three forwards through there in the second half (Press, Syd, & Arod). Let's try playing an actual outside midfielder on the right. I know people love Heath but watching her, for every good pass she goes one on three and the ball is gone. Frankly, if Abby is in I would just as soon see HAO in there. At least she knows how to play wide and she is the best outside midfield defender.

Holiday is out of position just as several other players are on this team. The desire to put the "best" players instead of the best team is going to kill us.

steelers07 and lil_one repped this.
  7. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dear Lord. Your argument is about as underwhelming as the U.S. performance so far. Difference is is that the U.S. Ladies have the actual talent to do better. Lloyd being a two-way player and compensating for Holidays lack of cerebral talent?! If anything the current talent on the team needs a some sort of inspiration and fire to unveil their skill beyond the prototypical "run & fight'n" routine. While there is nothing wrong with the latter your players are/should be capable of so much more and with the rising level of competition in womensoccer are in dire need to develop their style.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

It wasn't that apparent live on TV, but after the match fox showed a wide field view and graphic, not only showing the five backs, but four middies in a line maybe 5-7 yards in front of them. Wherever the ball was, a mid would pop out to challenge, but otherwise they scurried back.

They also showed the USA with six midfielders in a compact circle in the middle of the field to keep Sweden bottled in. They didn't seem to have a plan to attack, though.

With those tactics, neither team had much hope of scoring.

9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting statistical analysis of USA's passing from Devin Pleuler, mentioned by Beau Dure and others on Twitter. Interesting charts and graphs.

and from Devin Pleuler's article on MLS Soccer:

10. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's not the about the team waiting for Wambach to pop up with another game winner, it's about having been forced to play this way pretty much from when Jill took over. You can't expect them to suddenly play a possession style in one game when they've spent over a year catering to Wambach's head.

South American repped this.
  11. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden parked the bus for sure. I noticed that as well. They rarely, if ever, were caught without 8 behind that ball. US played right into their hand launching it into 3 defenders on every possession.