WWC 2011: Group D (BRA-AUS-NOR-EQG) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Lusankya, May 30, 2011.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Look out for Australia here.
    They could give Norway all they can handle for that #2 spot.
    Much like Sweden in the 2007 World Cup (in a tough group), Norway may go home early here. It's 50-50 between those two in terms of who will finish #2, Australia or Norway. Remember, Australia beat out Japan and North Korea as the #1 team in Asia in the Asian Qualifying stage. Australia also had Brazil on the ropes in the Quarterfinal of the last World Cup, when the score was 2-2 going into the 80th minute, before Brazil scored to win the game 3-2. Those sweet Matildas can sure put up a fight.

Brazil will obviously win this group.
    I think they will win every game in this group, and yield 9 points total.
    Norway vs. Australia will tie in their match together, and will probably both tie the group with 4 points (1-1-1 record). It will come down to goal differential. I see Norway beating Equatorial Guinea by a bigger margin than Australia, which will prove to be the difference in the "tie-breaker" for that #2 spot.

Brazil and Norway (barely) advance.
    Australia is left heartbroken again, but put up a great showing in this World Cup.

3. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia are without their three top choice strikers in Gill, Walsh, and De Vanna. I just don't see them making an impact without a proven world class goal scorer.

The Equatorial Guinea side that went to last year's African championship would have made some of their matches interesting, but they will have to replace four starters from that side.

It's hard to see Brazil or Norway having any trouble making it out of this group.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure De Vanna won't be welcomed back into the squad just in time for the WWC? I know she was sent home from their last gathering but I thought the coaches left enough wiggle room that she might still make the final squad.

5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Indeed

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't see this group as clear cut as some would think it will be. Brazil for me is a team that's already peaked, in time period between 04' to 08'. Their spine is still strong, but it looks like Marta will have to carry this team like never before.

Australia will be a very different team compared to the one seen in 07'. A dynamic mix of talents, they should have goals in them. The big question mark is whether the inexperience will be a step to far.

Norway are ridiculously consistent at being the party crashers. People should expect Norway to get in between Brazil or Australia, progressing to the knock out rounds. Technically and tactically Norway is always a tough team to deal with.

The nature of the Brazilian FA means you don't really know what their women's team will have to offer until they actually play in the major tournaments. But I just don't see Brazil strolling through this group stage without dropping points.

7. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every four years many people think that Brazil are overrated. I remember that in the poll on the 2007 prediction thread, a full third thought Brazil wouldn't make it out of their group. I think the consensus in 2003 was that they would struggle to finish second in their group behind Norway.

But Brazil have have finished on top of their World Cup group every year since 1999.

Whatever the issues with the CBF have been, the team's performance has remained consistent. This is especially true of their defense. In the last decade, no team has scored more than 2 goals against Brazil in a World Cup or Olympic tournament, which I don't think you can say about any other side.

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly. Judging Brazil is a nightmare pre WWC. Their FA is quite poor considering the status it holds within the history of the game, so organising friendlies will be a slow process for some time to come. Brazil will probably only become a serious visible force like USA, or Germany, once all of South American women's football gets it's act together.

I'm very interested to see what the Brazilian front 3 will be in Germany. If their as potent as 07'/08' then I don't see many teams containing them. If slightly below that 07'/08' level, I don't see them doing as well as a full 9 points though.

9. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've missed the point entirely. Every cycle people think there is great uncertainty about Brazil's prospects, but their actual performance is intractably consistent. They top their group and they don't allow a lot of goals. It may be that they don't take the full nine group points, but choosing them to take first place in the group is still clearly the safe bet.

Support from the CBF has strengthened notably over the last four years, but without the administrative interference the men's side gets. They no longer go a year or more at a time without playing any matches. They host a quality international friendly tournament every year, and they traveled to Germany and Sweden in 2009. Overall, this will be the best prepared Brazil team ever to arrive at a Women's World Cup.

Losing Daniela will certainly hinder their chances of challenging Germany for the title, but I would be wary of choosing anyone else to beat them.

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They lose a true world class player in Daniela and replace her with.....?

Brazil may not concede many, but it's their ridiculously creative attacking front 3 that has seen them progress to three consecutive major finals in a row. This team is now a unknown quantity for this exact reason. A new player will have to come into the side and produce what they have lost with Daniela being out.

Have you have seen Brazil look exactly the same in friendlies, as they have looked in last three major tournaments? I don't see Christaine scoring much, while Marta seems more important than ever before. It's not unfair or lazy to suggest that if you stop Marta this time, you seriously stop Brazil.

11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To answer my own question I just had a look at Brazil's recent game vs Chile. They were playing with Formiga in Daniela's role, with a young talent from the recent U-17 WWC taking Formiga's old spot.

12. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil have also had great attacking quality from their wide players and from Formiga when she comes up from her deep-laying midfield position. Daniela will be missed, but the breadth of their attack is unmatched. If anything, I think that the wide left position had posed a bigger question with the end of Maicon's international career, but the recent form of Maurine and Rosana has put that to rest. (Have I said that Rosana hasn't looked this sharp since 2004?)

Brazil have never shown all their cards in pre-WWC friendlies (I think they lost their last warm up match before the last three world cups!), so I am not going to try to draw too many conclusions from their recent friendlies. But I see a team that has at least maintained the level of the last seven years.

13. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't doubt Cristiane just yet. She always shows up for big tournaments and didn't she score 9 goals in qualifiers while Marta had 10? I think the big question surrounding Cristiane is whether or no she is healthy after she hurt her shoulder in the fall.

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering she's played as a pro all over the globe, we only ever hear of her when she comes out of hibernation for the WWC and Olympics. For the talent she possesses, she's the worst professional athlete I've ever seen.

She'll become the female equivalent of the once brilliant fat Ronaldo soon enough :p.

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's unfortunate she doesn't bring all that she can to her various teams outside of Brazil. It almost seems as if she doesn't care enough to try to live up to her potential unless she is playing for Brazil.

That said, in a few weeks she will be representing Brazil and I fully expect her to try and score another 5 goals as she has in each of the past 3 major tournaments she has taken part of.

16. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Daniela retire?

I also wonder about Marta's fitness, as she did not start for her WPS team as late as April bcuz she wasn't in shape. She did play the entire match a couple weeks ago tho' and looked alright.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the loss of Gill will hurt Australia and the loss of Wiik will hurt Norway. Brazil should win the group. The second spot is up for grabs.

Australia has a lot of up-and-coming young forwards. A 16-year old named Caitlin Foord scored a goal in her first appearance just a month ago. Khamis has potential as well. I was looking at Australia's matches and De Vanna hasn't played in a match for them since she broke her leg in the Asian Cup last year. I just think Gill was too important for this team.

I think I'm leaning toward Norway for the second spot. They have a nice mixture of good young players and veterans. I'm not sure they can beat Germany or even Brazil, but I do think they can beat the Aussies.

For Equatorial Guinea, it's there first venture onto the world stage, which could be a bit overwhelming, considering the size of the crowds that are expected in Germany. Still, you never know if they might come up and give somebody a scare.

18. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I only follow WPS through the Internet but the only reason I heard for Marta missing games was that she arrived in US rather late and that the paperworks (work permit?) wasn't finished so she couldn't play for a game or two.

Hard to see how Marta can get out of shape since when WPS isnt playing she spends her time playing in Brazil.

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marta isn't out of shape don't worry. Although, having watch Marta play the past few weeks in WPS, you can definitely tell she is holding back. I'm assuming to avoid any injuries.

20. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like she is using her right foot less and less. I know she has always heavily favored her left, but it's almost as if she never wants to use her right anymore. She's running okay, so I don't think there's anything wrong with her right foot, but I saw a couple plays in tonight's match that made me wonder. Okay, I'm nitpicking the world's best player.:eek:

21. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Not really. 14 goals in 57 matches.

When she's on, she's on, but it's kind of a rarity. She has lots of enthusiasm, speed and athleticism, but she tends to lack in the finishing department.

Now, had it been Herlovsen, Thorsnes or Pedersen, I'd be worried.

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know Pedersen is the easy to notice pretty Blonde, but when I have seen her score goals, there usually very classy finishes. Is she a starter for Norway now?

Even though Norway are perennial top 8 team, I see them along side Australia as team of real unknown quality right now. As their in a no win situation playing Equatorial Guinea in their opening match, I'm going to try and see the Norway performance versus Germany to see where they are at.

23. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    You actually said this after it was news, otherwise I might have had to do unspeakable things for that jinx.

Thorsnes has a thigh cramp, diagnosed this morning European time. :mad:

Pedersen is a bit of a wildcard for the record. She didn't play the important qualifiers in June and August, but started and scored in the play-off vs Ukraine. She has also played in all matches this year, so I guess she counts as a starter, but she has not been particularly keen on playing for her club (whom she claims are preventing her from a more successful career by keeping her under contract)

24. IzzyWSU

IzzyWSU New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Interview with Equatorial Guinea's women's national football team member Carol Carioca.
    Carol Carioca has a successful career as a defender who currently plays for Botucatu and has previously played for teams such as Vasco da Gama, Santos and USV Jena.
    Carol is currently in Germany with the rest of the Equatorial Guinea squad as they prepare to compete in the women's World Cup for the first time in their football history.

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/page/carolina-conceicao-martins

25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Whoops. :eek: I didn't know that until this afternoon.

I know I'm hard on them, but today was definitely a typical Norway showing. Unfortunately.