WWC 2011: Group C (USA-PRK-COL-SWE) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Lusankya, May 30, 2011.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1 person likes this.
  2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    USA, USA, USA

USA will look like the most dominant team in the group stage in this entire 16-team field. They will then most likely lose to a European or Brazilian team in the knock out round though, after being extremely impressive in the group stage.

Look for the USA to score 9 points in the group stage, and beat everybody by 2 or more goals (yes, including North Korea and Sweden). They will look like world-beaters, and then come back down to earth if they play Germany or Brazil in the knockout round. Even England might beat them in the knockout round. England did beat them on European soil 3-2, just a few weeks ago. And don't count out Norway. Norway beat them in the Olympics in 2008 (group stage), and have haunted the American team more than once in big time matches in the past (1995 World Cup and 2000 Olympic Final come to mind).

The main question is, who will finish #2 in this group?
    I see Sweden beating North Korea on European soil, and that will be all that she wrote for North Korea.

USA and Sweden advance.

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    3 teams for two places here. North Korea have been difficult to scout until recently :eek: We know what USA and Sweden can offer will it be enough to beat North Korea I am not sure at all.

4. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if North Korean plays anything like Japan, I dont think we'll have a problem defeating them in group stage.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think they are a bit less creative and heavy on discipline. I can see a tight win for the USA.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    go u.s.a.!

i doubt sweden will be easy to beat. neither will north korea. they both play well against the uswnt, despite any questionable results against other teams.

if the trend in the mens wc travels to the wwc, it is likely that a euro team wins it in europe, and germany is the best of the lot. so it's probably germany's wc to lose.

but, as always, i'm backing the uswnt, warts and all!

??

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    All MWC played in Europe has been one by European teasm (expect the one played in Sweden where Brazil won).
    All WWC played in Europe has been won by European teasm (but that one was played in Sweden).
    So:
    "All MWC in Europe are won by UEFA teams except in Sweden where Brazil wins."
    WWC in Europe has so far only been played in Sweden, and was one by a Norway so the axiom true for MWC chould probably be reveresed:
    "All WWC in Europe are won by Brazil except in Sweden where a UEFA team wins."
    Or Perhaps not ;)
    Germany is strong as ever and have home advantage. But all WWC hosts so far have been fairly strong and only once in five have the host actually won it.

8. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The order of the matches is as bad as it could be for the USA. Playing North Korea first and Sweden last is very hard.

North Korea traditionally start strong and fade by the final group game. In the Olympics and WWC, they normally get their best result in the first group game, but they have always lost their last group game. If you think about their pace of play and their reluctance to use depth from their roster, you can see why that is so.

Sweden, on the other hand, always start slow and end strong. I don't think they have ever won their opening match in a WWC or Olympic Games, but they almost always win their final group match.

Colombia, on the other hand, have an ideal match order, playing Sweden first and North Korea last.

Based on historical form, I think Colombia have a decent chance to draw with Sweden, and North Korea have a good chance to get three points out of the USA. That will put Colombia in a situation where they can afford to just maintain possession and play for a scoreless draw -- a situation that will suit them well.

This group could easily go into the last day with everything left to play for, but with the USA having all the work to do.

9. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think you give Colombia too much credit. They're young and inexperienced. I would be surprised if they get more than one point.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this bit, too. In 2003 we played Sweden first and NK last (Nigeria was the other team). In 2007 we played NK first and Sweden 2nd (Nigeria was the 3rd game). The 2007 tie w/ NK sorta set the stage for panic from Ryan.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

England did beat the United States in England (European soil) back in April.
    That's what I was referring to.

12. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA and Sweden to go through, but USA will have to improve their play. After the friendly today, I believe (hope) we will be peaking at the right time.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    the lessons to be learned are clear. the two games against japan were supposed to get us ready to play a sharp passing speedy north korean team first. altho, i don't think japan kept up their end of the bargain. and mexico yesterday was not a good test. so there's still work to do. but, as always, i'm optimistic.

i know.

my question marks were regarding the score.

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    My bad. Final score was 2-1.
    3-2, 2-1, same goal difference still.
    They lost, and were actually terribly outplayed by England for most of that match.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    2-1 and 3-2 is not really the same.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You usually are the most optimistic regarding the USWNT :) It is good to have your optimism around the boards.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this group is a real crapshoot as far as which two come out of it. Sweden and the US have injury problems and except for a few games, neither has been at their best lately.

Sweden has already lost five matches this year, but they did beat the US in China with both teams' big scorers, Schelin for Sweden and Wambach for the US, not being available. They just squeaked by Denmark to qualify last year. I really don't know what to expect from them at this point, they seem so wildly inconsistent. I do know they almost always give the US a lot of trouble.

North Korea is probably the unknown factor, since we see them so rarely and get so little info about them. They did lose a friendly to Belgium lately, which I have been unable to track down any real report to find out what happened.

I can't see Colombia beating any of these teams, but they could tie one if somebody let's their guard down.

I could almost see this coming down to three teams with 2-1 records and it going to the tiebreakers, which for the US, would be very scary.

18. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    USA starting eleven IMO:
    ......................solo
    krieger....rampone.....buelher.....lepeilbet
    .............boxx..........loyd..........
    o'reilly...................................rampone
    ............wambach.....rodriguez

am i wrong?

19. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed ... easy to confuse names with rapinoe and rampone :)

20. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I'm still holding out hope that Pia will decide to play Cox instead. As great as LePeilbet is, Cox is a better left back.

21. BeeDOB

BeeDOB New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Göttingen, Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any US fans that are heading over to Germany to watch the games?

I'm studying over here right now and am planning on making it to as many US games as possible (and the final if I can score some tickets still). Unfortunately, none of the Americans (or others for that matter) that I am with have any interest in going to a women's sporting event. UGH. Any big groups feel like taking in a wayward fan? Just knowing that I'll be cheering with a crowd after traveling alone across Germany to get to the games would be enough. :)

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1687051

23. BeeDOB

BeeDOB New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Göttingen, Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    German Bibiana Steinhaus will be referee at the USA-North Korea game in Dresden. Congratulations.:rolleyes: She is already referee at 2nd Bundesliga and about to become in 1st Bundesliga.

25. cookiely

cookiely Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    I am kind of hoping for the US tos screw up and finish second so I can see a Germany vs US final