WWC 2007 news!

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by secretcode, Jul 26, 2007.

1. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    As it's almost August already, wanted to start a
    thread for news, roster updates, injuries, especially ugly new
    team jerseys - not that any particular
    team
    has them ;) ... links to news articles
    and anything else related to the WWC.

If you have anything at all to share about any of the participating
    teams, PLEASE do so here!

:)

2. ajbs517

ajbs517 New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    IL
    I recently found a website that posts women's soccer news from around that world and will be a good resource for news heading into the WWC: http://www.ooosasoccer.com/

Here is some important news from the site:

Brazil appears to be in better form than when they played in the US. They crushed Canada 7-0 in the Pan-Am Games before beating the US U-20 team 5-0 in the final.

Canada's WC team struggled in Rio and suffered a lot of injuries. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070724.PANAM24/TPStory/Sports

Hanna Ljungberg has been slow to recover from a calf injury

Oh, and the US has ugly uniforms

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sweden will be without national team starting striker Josephine Öqvist due to ACL tear.

On a lighter note, Germany's new home uniforms look a lot like their old ones except more squiggly, and according to Anja Mittag, they smell nice. Their new away uniforms are a radical departure from the vaguely nauseating grey-ish green they used to have; now they are red with gold and black squiggles and a black left sleeve. Find them both here (adidias line) or see the team strut them here (replace the asterisks in the address with four-letter word beginning with f). Try not to worry about why they are measuring each other's calves.

To me, the new away uniforms look very angry.

4. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    Make that TWO ACL tears.

Star goalie Caroline Jönsson, 29, has torn her ACL
    [what is with all the women and their ACLs??]
    and will miss the rest of the season and the WC.
    I don't really know how Lundgren or the other goalie
    Hedvig Lindahl stack up in terms of skills right now, but
    Jönsson seems to have a little edge in leadership over Lindahl,
    who also is recovering with a knee?? injury.

Looks like this was an extra bad time for Moström to retire. :/

http://aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,1128793,00.html

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    ACL's take their tolls on each World Cup, and one team always seems to have worse luck than the others. This time it's Sweden for sure.

As far as their other goalkeepers go, Lindahl was the starter at Euro 2005 and I thought was one of the better keepers, especially considering she was quite young. Her reactions seemed fast and her handling was pretty secure. Lundgren I only remember from the friendly against the US in 2006 when she misjudged a USA free kick from over midfield and let it float right in over her head.

The injury that will hurt the Swedes the most is Hanna Ljungberg, IMO. This is assuming she doesn't recover in time (which from what I've read, her recovery is not going well). Her chemistry with Svensson is something special and not easily replaceable. For someone who follows Sweden more closely, what other forwards are in your pool that would be likely replacements?

Regarding the Germany jersey's, its kind of ironic, Germany has a red jersey now while the US for some moronic reason has....gold. Is Rottenberg recovered from her knee injury or is she just there for the photo shoot?

6. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    The main difference from the USA match in June is probably three key players joining from Europe: Rosana (Neulengbach, Austria), Elaine (Umeå, Sweden) and of course Marta (Umeå, Sweden). The Rio games must have been the first time since Athens 2004 that Brazil could field their first choice team.

The trouble with Lindahl is that she is just coming off half a year rehab after her ACL injury and is far from match fit. She has earlier said that her goal during rehab was to try to get the spot as third keeper in China. And after Jönsson and Lindahl there is a visible gap in quality to the next ones. To me the goalkeeping situation seems very worrying for Sweden.

Ljungberg on the other hand has been absent from the national team for a year and hasn't been really fit for ages. Since before Algarve 2006 I would guess. The post-Moström Swedish team has been set up without Hanna and without any spot reserved for her. In my opinion it's a bigger challenge to replace Josefine Öqvist as one of two wing forwards in Sweden's new 4-3-3 than playing without Hanna Ljungberg.

Rottenberg is due for her come-back in August, so it's as coach Neid says "nicht aussichtslos" that Rottenberg will be back as number 1 in time for China.

7. KarlMai

KarlMai Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Witzenhausen/Germany
    Club:
    FF USV Jena
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

During today's match against Denmark (with Nadine Angerer playing goalie), the TV reporter said that Rottenberg would make her comeback in the next friendly against the Czech Republic, next Thursday on 08/02.

8. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005

As long as they can make their labels stay in then I don't care what colour the Germans wear. Ever since TV began showing live international women's footie at Euro 2001, I have been more than a little irritated by the perennial appearance of shirt labels sticking up out of the back of the German players' shirts. My increasingly irritated observations (which may cause concern to someone in the mental health field) have noted that this problem has been repeatedly ignored, endured, or even promoted, by the German Women's National teams (the young frauleins do not buck this trend) over the last 6 years.

It annoys me. Why don't they tuck them in? Why haven't their mothers or grannies taken them to one side and quietly pointed out the errors of their ways?
    "I was so proud of you when you lifted the shiny little trophy with the glassy ball on the top, dearest Birgit, but you really should have tucked your label in because you looked a right clip."
    Why don't/haven't Sylvia or Ursula (or Tina before them) checked their players' state of dress before they enter the field of play?

And on a more serious note, when do other nations finalise their 21 player squads? Surely travel/VISA plans must be in full swing for each squad give or take serious injuries? US is sorted. England announce theirs on 7th to the players and 8th to the press (though obviously Hope Powell already knows).

9. hanna412

hanna412 Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Germany
  10. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
  11. hanna412

hanna412 Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Germany
    It's a calf strain.

12. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Sweden released a 30 player list today, from which the final 21 will be picked and announced August 14. Surprise: Kristin Bengtsson (37?), who retired 2005 but apparently has been persuaded to return.

13. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    wow. is she really that good?

14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    yes

15. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Did she play for Sweden in WWC '03?

16. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    WOW. She played full back in Euro 2005 and was strong in the group games but really got found out for pace in the Norway semi (what a stonking match that was). It looked like her swansong. Two years later she's back? She's hardcore. I'm impressed.

17. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. And 1999. And 1995. She's ooold.

She's still a starter for Sweden's number 2, Djurgården, mostly as fullback but really on any position that allows her to run up and down the left side. She had a good season last year, beating forwards half her age. I've only seen her once (on TV) this year and it looked, well, okey but not more. But I'm sure coach Dennerby has seen her a lot more and knows what he's doing.

18. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
  19. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

MAJOR bummer. I'm glad it happened now though when there's still plenty of time for Angerer to train herself into superhuman WC form.

Hard to predict how Germany will fare this year after their disappointing performances in the Algarve Cup and the Four Nation Tournament.

Still, they always say the Germans take it up a notch in the WC, let's hope they're taking it up several next month.

20. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Brazil's World Cup roster is set, and is as follows:

1-Barbara
    2-Andreia
    3-Thais
    4-Elaine
    5-Aline
    6-Ester
    7-Monica
    8-Tania
    9-Jatoba
    10-Rosana
    11-Bage
    12-Michelle
    13-Renata Costa
    14-Daniela
    15-Pretinha
    16-Maicon
    17-Grazielle
    18-Formiga
    19-Cristiane
    20-Katia
    21-Marta

For all the talk of Brazil's youth, this is actually a fairly experienced squad.

21. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    According to a German football blog, the reason Pohlers may have been kept off the WC squad: she and Omilade both split from their (former) team, Potsdam, "after a big fight" [unsure if the fight was with each other or their team or both] and coach Neid perhaps did not want to risk importing that tension into the national team, and therefore cut them both, even though Pohlers has a higher scoring record than Smisek.

http://www.womensoccer.de/2007/08/10/rechs-nichtnominierung-ein-echter-paukenschlag/

23. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I am bothered when I see coaches making such poor decisions. A test of a good and competent coach is how well he/she solve problems to retain top players, not how fast they cut players.

24. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I agree with toepunt.

I don't know what the actual reason was for the coach's decision, but if it was a personal "fight" or some other personal issue, is not a very good or very ethical reason to keep a high scoring player off a field, unless she committed a felony.

These women are professionals (more or less) and so many other players around the world have said or done things that have bothered their teammates or maybe a coach, but you have to put that kind of thing aside for the good of the team.

25. begtodiffer

begtodiffer New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hm. I really, REALLY don't want to believe that Neid chose Pohlers over Omilade, only because Pohlers can run Omilade into the ground talent wise. Conny was one of the top scorers at Euro 2005, had phenomenal seasons with Turbine Potsdam in 2004/2005, and was even given the nod to join the FIFA's All-Star team that played against China not too long ago. Omilade started a few games for Germany at the Euro Cup, but was quickly replaced by a far more efficient Britta Carlson.

Whatever her reasons, though, I don't quite get it.

Unless we're dealing with an attitude problem here, but Conny doesn't really seem like the type.

Of course, it's not like I know.