WWC 1/4-Final 9/22/07: US v. England (pre, PBP and post-match) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Charge!, Sep 18, 2007.

1. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I hope you stick around to eat more crow.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it (and all of Ger-NK) on SopCast CCTV-5.

48' USA corner kick. Who is the one US player you absolutely must mark on a corner scramble? She's the tallest player on the field, she's a proven poacher/finisher/scorer (implies coolness and decent eye-head-jump coordination), she leads us in scoring efficiency, our whole game plan is to hoof long balls to her head, and she's used to it. From 11m deep and 10m wide, Wambach runs straight in to the back of the far post, her marker lets her go and just watches her, nobody sees her coming -- how do you lose track of Wambach on a corner? 1-0 :D

57' A series of pings around the top of England's box ensues. England can't quite ever clear it, USA keeps dumping it back in. 50-50 ball about 25m straight out from Brown's left post, Boxx is too far up to retreat, but close enough that it's 51-49 -- she rolls a 51, it squirts free right in front of her. She carries it to box top, and shoots hard at exactly the right moment, an instant before two red defenders squeeze her window, and while there's still a lane between them. Scorcher low near post, Brown sees it all the way, dives, but she's not 6 feet tall. 2-0 Great execution by Boxx.

60' US right back (?) hoofs a looong ball, box top to box top. Brown comes out, misjudges the bounce on the springboard-like turf, it arcs over her head as Lilly blows past her, Brown gets fingertips on the back top half of the ball, it bounces into Lilly's stride, and Lilly is in alone at 3m, half-stumbling, with the ball rolling obediently with identical forward vector, one diameter from her foot -- you couldn't script that, the audience wouldn't buy it. Brown collapses to knees and grabs her head as Lilly almost sheepishly taps in. 3-0

For the rest of the game, USA seemed to be reluctant to score again ... almost as if they didn't want to rub it in. Long punts right to Brown, missed/ignored passes, declining several opportunities to work for a higher-percentage shot, some lack of urgency.

England played well in this WWC. They should be right in the mix in Europe from now on -- somebody to help the rest of us beat down the Ger-Nor-Swe old guard. I think Germany scrutinized the North Korea-USA tape -- they sure swarmed the midfield and took away all of NK's strengths. If they and us both survive the semis, we'll be studying the England-Germany tape.

3. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    actually the US always matches up well against brazil. Brazil has a poor defense. As for marta she is good, but I think the US defense is better

4. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    not only do they match up well, they utterly own brazil. of course, there's always a first time...

5. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The key to USA's win was their defense, the States defended very well today especially Whitehill, at 24 she will be a big, big player. Wambach impressed me allot, she has earned my respect as a world class striker, she bullied her way to scoring the opening goal to cap of 100 appearances, well deserved. Abby hustled, used her size and strength to great effect, broke Faye Whites noise and was just a beast, she was a monster out there. Abby will be crucial to USA beating Brazil, but they have to up their game now and finish allot better than they have done so far in the WWC if they want to face Germany in the final. Well done USA

6. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    well-said. and cheers.

7. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    O don't worry, this kid will be back better and stronger than ever! Just remember the name Karen Carney!!

8. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
  9. NoNonsense

NoNonsense New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami

A more objective observation would be that the USA have owned the refs in conflrontations with Brazil. But, as you say, "there's always a first time..." maybe they'll get a fair ref for a change.

10. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    *looks for "Pauk"*

*looks*

:confused: Who's "Pauk"?

:D

England missed Fara Williams, methinks, HUGELY. What is it with the goalkeeping this world cup? Another howler, this time from Brown re: Lilly.

I've been sidelined with a head cold from hades since yesterday morning. So figure Brazil waxes the Matildas as expected; do you think they can hold off Marta and co.?

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    good job england.

great job uswnt.

i've said the uswnt had to play in the toughest group on the toughest field. so even tho they didn't play well in the first round, i didn't see the failings that a lot of people were screaming about.

one thing to note:
    when the uswnt forward line presses so high it takes a lot of effort out of them. it therefore makes a lot of sense that the team would get the ball directly to them quite a bit of the time, so this team will of necessity have less "attractive possession football" in the middle of the park than some other teams.

we may not like it, but ryan's theme has always been that the defense begins with the forwards and he requires them to press a lot higher than most teams, resulting in the attempt to get them the ball directly a lot of the time when the team goes on offence.

now they can still play possession football sometimes, but they chose not to, and it's been successful so far.

12. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    then one can only home said worldwide, historical, ref conspiracy endures;)

13. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Christ! That first one could have been nasty! Did she make contact?

More or less expected the result to go the way it did. Didn't think it'd be 3-0 though. We did alright in the tournament though, I just only hope Aluko never plays football again.

Still don't know who I want to win the thing though. It's between the US and Aus. USA will beat Brazil though, you heard it here first. Well...actually you probably didn't Brazil can't shoot for shit.

14. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what? is this babblefished? but you're from hoboken...

15. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is that even a real place? It sounds like something from Streetfighter.

16. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Yes,
    lopez had to get her head stapled on the sidelines (after it took so long to sew up abby v. north korea the us trainers upgraded equipment )

17. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    woops meant to say "hope". and you don't know hoboken? tisk, tisk.

18. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Along those lines, I think one of the positives today was that the direct service was much better and thus the USA was more consistently dangerous with those balls. Against a team like Brazil, which has tons of speed in midfield but isn't particularly organized, good service from the back will be even more critical, so it's good to see them making more of the tactic in this match.[/QUOTE]

19. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Interesting considering that players cannot wear any metal deemed dangerous. Christ that must hurt! Assume it was properly covered.

20. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dr. Mario86

Dr. Mario86 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Berkeley
    It amazes me that Heather O'Reilly is an international player. She tries hard, but has no skill at all. Hooorrible touch.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    yes, that goal against the north koreans, with the outside of the right foot, into the upper corner, cooly taken in the midst of the confusion in the box was terrible.

23. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I also found her extra-time game-winning goal against #1-ranked Germany in the 2004 Olympic semifinals to be just dreadful. Pure rubbish. I think the way you can really tell that a player lacks quality is when they score in critical situations like that. True stars don't wait for big matches to show their best.

24. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    dr m=armchair expert.

25. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    OK, US played a good second half... that said, England Missing Fara Williams forced Kelly Smith to play deeper than she normally would have... I think England waited to long to get Sanderson on the pitch, sub should have been made at the half.. Yankee should have started.

I think the US was gifted with two goals, England gave up too many corners and the GK mistake. I also think that anytime your elbow connects with a face, you should get a yellow..

I still think the US is playing like they are entiled to win the WWC and not like they want to win.

Brizil outplayed them before and lost twice... think the US will not have to play their best ?