WWC 1/4-Final 9/22/07: US v. England (pre, PBP and post-match) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Charge!, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you win it all... is there a good way to end your tourney?

2. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking at this performance, USA are not going to beat Brazil in the semi-final that's certain.

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. the winners of A & B defeat the teams the other couldn't defeat in group play by 3-0 margins.

4. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    beat me to it!

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that Carney that got the ball to the gut from Lilly at the whistle?

Look at the blood on the players. This was a real battle.

See y'all tomorrow morning. :)

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Well, I'm glad that didn't cut into my tailgaiting...

7. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the us comes out in a 433 and with the same tactics again, I wouldn't be surprised.

8. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    can you spin this any more negatively, arsenal? we heard you the 50th time.

9. HattrickStriker

Feb 19, 2006
    Area 51 & 52
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certain? Nothing is ever certain in this game. They could come out with lots more force and energy against Brazil.....or maybe not. I'm not certain....

10. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    comcast is airing a bizarre Fearnet commercial...Real scary, especially for some of their audience...teenage girls.

11. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been nice to see tarpley play a bit on her birth day...

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was refering to the English player that took the ball of her face at the end of the game.

13. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's certain is that progressed has been made to English football, we can now walk out the door with our heads held high and look forward to the European qualifiers for 2009, Germany we will be gunning for your crown! :)

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scoreboard

15. trance-x

trance-x Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Berlin
    not only the camera work...
    selection and timing of the replays were also often in the tournament not that professional ...

16. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    indeed, lots of progress. and you're a great supporter. now how about some acknowledgement to the team that just beat your 3-0?

17. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to admit, Hope Solo didn't put a foot wrong in this match that's for sure.

18. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't read much of this thread after the first few minutes of the game.

This was only the 2nd game of the tournament where I felt the US controlled the game from minutes 1-90 (first was the Nigeria game). Foudy seemed to be relying on those early possession numbers England had (so much of that early possession was in their own half) when she repeatedly stated that England had outplayed the US in the first half.

The US looked somewhat careless on the ball early on . . . a lot of simple passes were mishandled by the receiving player and there were some errant passes here and there. Having said that, the US still looked competent going forward and created some dangerous attacks.

The second half was all US and after building a 3-goal lead, they finally added some style and flair to their attacks for the first time this WWC. Have to say I'm still confused at the long, long wait to make substitutions. Does Ryan not have confidence in his bench players? At 3-0, unless a substitution is going to completely downgrade the quality of the team at a specific position, why not give a few starters some rest (and I liked DiCicco's point about using substitutions to get more players some playing time).

The 3-goal win was fully deserved IMO, unlike the one in the Germany-NKorea game earlier (and I think Foudy said something about Germany having an easy game? I don't think she watched it.). That was a hard-fought game in which the Germans slightly outplayed the Koreans in the first half and then absorbed a huge amount of pressure before scoring their 2nd goal completely against the run of play. Just before that 2nd goal, it really looked like a Korean goal was inevitable if something didn't change quickly. I think Germany deserved to win (and their finishing was excellent), but probably not by more than a single goal.

19. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Attendance for the match: 29,586

20. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh... gotcha.

21. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. England is a good, young team that is constantly improving. See you around! :)

22. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was Carney. Poor kid was working hard the whole game. We'll see her in at least two more WCs if she's able to avoid serious injuries.

23. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was the US' all around best effort. England may have dictated the pace in the first half but the US had better chances at goals. It felt a bit to me like they might have been playing a bit of possum with England to see what they were going to try to throw at them.

Then in the second half, the US stepped on the gas a bit. That paid off in spades for them.

How 'bout that Lopez? Gets kicked in the head in the first half. Gets staples in her head to stop the bleeding. Yes staples...not stitches. And comes back into the game. Lopez is a warrior! (And she launched one of the US' most effective attacks on goal in the first half too...that was good stuff!) If it were Mitts that took that kick, the US would have had to sub her out.

*waits for Pauk to get huffy and puffy*

Lil red-head gurl is a very happy camper right now! :D

Special commentary for Pauk:
    [result]Mitts is doing a fantastic job in the studio. I like her there.[/result]

:p

24. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Some people become a lot more demure when they're getting their butt kicked...

I pretty much had this called - figured the US would have to take England's best shot for the first half hour, but if they got out of that they'd be OK. Still room for improvement on the US side and I can't believe Abby wasn't subbed out until the 86th minute - why bother then? As for England, they're obviously much improved but still have a couple of levels to go - levels they'll reach only if they get solid support from their FA.

25. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm out of town and didn't have chance to post during the match, but I'm surprised anyone viewed this match negatively from the USA's perspective. Defense was stellar in both halves. England never looked remotely dangerous in the first half and very rarely in the second. The midfield still had some heavy touches and timid play in the first half but Boxx really stepped up in the second with her tackling and overall aggressiveness. USA out-chanced England all the way through the game. Some of the individual players for the USA played better in the second half but I think overall the USA played great in both halves. The only difference in the second was the finishing was there.

This team may not play the most gorgeous style, but they sure as hell know how to win. Bring on the next victims! And fond farewell to Arsenal, er England. Thanks for showing us yet again that there's no sport the English can invent that they will end up second-rate at.