WWC 1/4-Final 9/22/07: US v. England (pre, PBP and post-match) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Charge!, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Or 1950, the sequel.

England, the only team to shut out Germany in consecutive games in recent memory, (remember last March at Algarve, another 0-0 tie after 15 consecutive losses) and co-Golden Boot leader Kelly Smith (4 goals, tied w/Prinz and Marta) en fuego. The USWNT, which has Wambach, and also tied England in their last match (1-1 at Four Nations in January after not being scored upon by the Three Lions in 16 *years* of friendlies). They've been shaky, but have gutted through the Group of Death unbeaten and scored on only twice.

Something's gotta give. Talk amongst yerselves, then. :D

2. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England fights tough, but loses 2-0.

England is very organized, but this current US 'style' per se is very de-organizing. The US backline will prove too strong for Smith

3. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I am sure that England will put up one hell of a fight, but the Usa is stronger
    and the Us defense is stronger then kelly Smith, and besides every one on the Us team is going to be so full of adrenaline they can sell it in a bottle.
    It´s gonna be a battle but i can´t imagine the Us will lose so close to home.
    England has done good so far but Usa is a very strong team even more so when they have to preform their best.
    GL to both teams.
    Now N.America go get your gold :)

4. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nillan, the only thing i'm pinning my hopes on for the US winning the gold is the players' ability to step up their game, because right now, the US is in a tactical mire.

5. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    On paper this sort of sets up well for an upset. Big favorite not playing well, having some offensive struggles. Underdog clearly showing an ability to defend.
    A hungry superstar on the underdog who really wants to shock the world Favorite worked hard to win group thinking the underdog would be an easier game etc.

But having watched the games (at least on TV) I still think, while the US has not looked that good yet, they are still better than England.

One of the real questions will be is the US battle-tested and improving after winning a tough group, or tired and not actually that good?

6. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with seanT's comments.

I do think that what people seem to be overlooking is that the US team has only 5 players on it with WC experience. No matter how good they looked in qualifiers and friendlies, the WC stage is going to cause jitters for the players who haven't been there before.

We've seen marked improvements from the team with each game they've played.

NK had them on their heels. A big portion of the blame goes to coaching on that because there were several tactical changes Ryan made (3 person backline? Uh, they hadn't played that ever in the games I've seen leading to the WC, why do it then?) and he didn't make that he should have (Abby should have been subbed at some point - during stitches or around the 70th minute when she was gassed from hustling and blood loss).

Due credit goes to Solo for pulling things together to play a great game, aside from the 8 minutes when the goals were scored. A keeper who doesn't have her grit would have collapsed. She stood tall and kept her team in it.

Sweden came out swinging in the first ten minutes of the game and successfully had the US flustered. They seemed to run out of gas at that pace and the US' fitness took over. They were able to settle things down and take the game to Sweden.

The first half of the Nigeria game was the best the US has played thus far in the tournament. Considering the weather conditions, they played some great possession soccer, showed patience and picked their chances. However players normally not shy about taking shots simply weren't taking them. Carli Lloyd has yet to unleash a bomb at any of the keepers...I keep waiting for it.

I feel if the US continues to progress and reveal more of the team we know they are that they should be able to handle England. Markgraf and Rampone need to work out a system of containing Kelly Smith. Rampone can keep up with her pace and Markgraf with her grit.

All that being said, I look forward to a great game. England has proved this time around they aren't afraid of the world leaders and they're going to play hard.

Its going to come down to who is best able to finish their chances. I'm going to say a score of 3-2 with the US winning.

Win, lose, or draw on Saturday, England has officially knocked on the door of the world stage and announced they plan to be a top team from here on out.

7. Dogbreath

Dogbreath New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Maui
    US haven't played up to potential, BUT have done enough. I think they will put together a better showing from here on in. Solo has been the key for them. One dropped lollipop in the rain v NK, BFD, she's shown her class with late saves v NK and Nigeria. US 2-0. Go Natasha!

8. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing about Ryan's tatics...

I wish he'd show faith in his subs.

Kai deserves more time on the field than the 2 measly minutes she got in game one.

And you can't tell me subbing in Aly Wagner at the end of the game today for Abby (who was at times playing so far back she was essentially an attacking midfielder) would have been a bad thing.

9. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We are not a 1 player team, this isn't Kelly Smith vs USA, we have Rachel Yankey, Karen Carney, Sue Smith and the player that i wish would get a game Lianne Sanderson all full of pace and technical ability. Plus the creativity of Fara Williams and the engine room of Katie Chapman in midfield will test even the best midfield players in the world. And Faye White dealt with Birgit Prinz and will surely have no problem handling that big play acting actress Wambach. From what you guys saw from our 6-1 demoliton of Argentina, we've got the attacking players that can unlock the US defence there no doupt about that i don't care how much you all say the US defence are solid as a rock, don't forget besides set-pieces no one have scored against us from out of play.

You all can talk about USA's strength, big match experience and there amazing achievement of getting out of the 'group of death' and so on and on. But don't think that the US are just going to walk past us like we are thin air and face the Germans in the 'game of the year' because that is not going to happen. Just like i mentioned on USA Women: News and Analysis, i wasn't impressed with US against Nigeria i don't care about conditions, that was a poor performance. US play on of the most boring and predictable football i can ever imagine, they are too much like Chelski in the mens game. I know it's all about winning but we are in 2007 now, football need entertainment, i'm so tired of seeing most of the major honours going to strong defensive teams and not teams who attack with exciting pace and flair. Germany are the holders of the World Cup yet everyone are still saying US are number 1, i just don't get it. Arsenal, the first non-German and Scandinavian to win the Womens UEFA Cup was one of the best things that could happen to European womens soccer, Now it's time to stop the USA-Germany strangle holding this tournement and that will start this week. We will beat the USA, just watch us, this is the most hungrious England team yet.

10. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol.

just hold on a minute here, USArsenalLFC

Ok, so you beat Argentina . Woopee. They're not exactly N. Korea, Sweden, or even Nigeria. Let's put things into perspective here: England was playing against a slow, short, psychologically deflated team. Don't get me wrong, England is a wonderful team and all, in fact, I would have to say they are one of the best Team oriented teams of the tournament. But you may be going overboard with "we've got the attacking players that can unlock the US defence". No, you have an attacking player that can rip the US defense to shreds. Seriously, England is nothing without Kelly Smith. They should be kissing her boots.

Besides, no one said it was going to be a breeze beating England. I think everyone pretty much thinks it's going to be a great game.

11. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I don't think England will be beating the US. They had trouble arming dangerous attacks against Germany, and they will struggle with the same problem playing the US.

12. USArsenalLFC

USArsenalLFC New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is just what i expected, arrogance and no respect, it's nothing new to me though. I had to put up with all the crap and garbage from people like Nillan and all those Swedish supporters who thought Umea IK would just walk all over us in the UEFA Cup final but we all know who came out on top ;) .

The US defence haved look really shakey against North Korea, they scored 2 goals which was down to technic and determination, even against Nigeria in the last match, If only Nigeria had a little more composure in front of goal the the match would have been a 1-1 draw or worse for USA. The reason why USA survived the group of death is because teams like Korea, Sweden and Nigeria failed to take thier chances when they had US beat. USA should have lost the first game and you guys know it. Poor finishing cost Sweden in this World Cup but they could have drawn against US and Nigeria too. But i promise you England will be taking every chance they can get infront of goal. As long as Eniola Aluko don't start as centre forward since she can't shoot to save her frickin life, we will definately score 2-3 goals in this match.

13. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    nice summary, diego. i don't see england presenting a bigger challenge than any of the group games...and one would have to think we're due for some good soccer. we have the edge in another tight one: 2-1, usa.

14. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    I don't think the US defence is as good as the German defence... England has 3 major attackers in this tournament in Smith, Yankey, Carney

I think this can be a breakout game for carney, hopefully we will see Sanderson and Unitt get into the match

I don't think the old ladies on the back line could handle Smith, she is so much better now... plus she has so much more talent around her than she did 3 years ago, half of this teams came from Arsenal and played a long time together.

Englands Defence should be able to hold Abby just like they did to the much more organized attack of the Germans.

then there is the factor that the US has not used any subs for the most part and their strategy is get the ball to Abby every time

Gutsy England can claim a huge Victory if they get past the US.

15. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    respect needs to be, um, earned. i agree w/ others that this is a great qf pairing- a once powerhouse v. the upset-minded upstarts.

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    really looking forward to this game....

england playing well, uswnt sucking....

could actually be the best game of the tourny....

really love kelly smith. 2nd best behind marta in this tournament so far....

backing the uswnt to win, but won't be surprised if jolly ol' england does.

17. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    I have no doubt that England could win this game but it will be for reason just like NK-- the US playing like shit instead of the opponent playing well.

18. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    Are we watching the same German defense? They look unorganized in the middle with a lack of communication from their keeper. The German's defense is their weak spot.

19. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is really a salad tosser!! The US is the favorite, but has struggled v Nigeria and what shape will Wambach be in?? That dummy Ryan should've subbed her out to avoid all those "corner clashes" she took later!!

Kelly Smith is awesome, but her strike partner Aluko is terrible...s.hit the Queen would be a much better striker partner!! Like I said in another thread that Smith should be the lone striker and everyone else should just supply her with the passes to finish off!!

Remember in EVERY tournament there's an upset.....and this WC wont be an exception!! :)

20. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Nah Germanys defense looks good.

The weakness is that their attacking doesn't work nearly as fluently as it used to.

21. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Thing is, even with her injuries, if they give Smith a fraction of room to work with, she's gonna make them pay for it. But they do need another striker, and Aluko isn't it. Yankey, Carney, Sanderson all have good cred. Is Unitt still with Everton? How did she do this past season?

22. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Will everyone shut to f@ck up! we had to worry our head off with many of the young one playing they 1 wwc who was nervous as hell. that maybe the reason Ryan didn't sub them in.. Ryan know's this is the group of death that mean the girls may have been too afraid to let go.. they were uptight and afraid to let go, now that this is past we are going see the real USA.. I don't give a fig who we play in the knock out rounds, we will beat the sh@t out of everybody... will score a bangle of goals all the way to become world champion. bold prediction no, fact USA have never been knock out before the SEMI, once we get past the semi it smooth sailing... if the weather is good all the way we will be great.

23. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Actually, I think you're the only one showing arrogance and no respect in this thread.
    Edit - Until Noorwell's post showed up

To correct an above post of yours, Fara Williams is suspended for the quarterfinal. And will Carney be available (don't know why she missed the last match and a half)?

England's defense has proven to be pretty sound and, with the way the US is playing, I don't see us having a goalfest on England. However, England couldn't score on Germany either, the only defense that they've faced that can be compared to ours, and it won't be any easier without Williams. I don't see this being a high scoring match.

To make an understatement, England will be absolutely amped for this match and likely throw the kitchen sink at us for the first 20-30 minutes. The US has to find the inspiration to match and withstand their energy for the opening half hour. If we do, I see us winning ugly 1-0 or 2-0 like against Sweden. If England break through, or at least keep us off the board for that time and have reason to sustain their enthusiasm, it should be wide open and decided by either a US set piece or a moment of brilliance by Smith (or the other sides' ability to contain such).

This matchup has to be great pub for the English women back home. I hope the kickoff doesn't conflict with EPL matches so they can get a full audience.

24. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Wow, what team have you been watching ? If HAO did not have the big goal in the NK game, the US would have gone home. Biggest goal for the US in the tournament to save their A$$

Sorry, they have not been spectacular in any friendlies that I have watched all year either, even though they played a bunch of Wimp teams, Canada could have won that game had it not been for a descretion call by the Reff

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, fist time you did not praise the allmighty Abby...

We have been seeing the REAL USA, the full team that has not faced any real caliber teams at all and is so afraid to use the bench out of fear

25. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see engerland play in a monsoon. If you think the weather in the Korea game and Nigeria game didn't play a significant part, you don't know soccer. Perhaps, you don't go outside much at all.