WUSA vs. WNBA

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by soccer4ever, Aug 2, 2002.

1. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    1.) How does WUSA attendance compare to WNBA?
    2.) How does WUSA ratings compare to WNBA?

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    WUSA average attendance...as of several weeks ago...I think..is hovering just a tad under 7,000. I'll have to hunt down the WNBA 2002 season average.

WUSA is having trouble garnering a consisten .1 ... although the last couple of matches have been .1 or higher. WNBA gets between .5 and 1 on NBC and between .3 and .4 on ESPN. Don't know the Oxygen numbers.

3. Binchy

Binchy Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Choctaw territory
    The WNBA's 2002 average so far is 8,841 per game. It will probably rise during the playoffs.

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ratings in San Diego

Normally, the Spirit games on cable 4 get a better rating than the WNBA game. That happened this past week, even though San Diego played a Wednesday game, compared to the weekend game that the WNBA had... and of course the WNBA has the ESPN and NBA publicity machine (and airtime) ehind it.

5. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for the great info.

6. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WNBA averaged a 1.4 on NBC for the years they were on that station.

Andy

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WUSA attendance at this moment:
    6,977 per game (down 14% from last year)

WUSA's average TV rating on PAX this year:
    0.1, 98,000 TV households

The only WNBA attendance numbers I can find for this season at a quick search was 8,995 for an average, but I don't know how official that is.

Playoff attendance will not impact this, as in the WNBA, as in all leagues, playoff attendance is not included with regular-season attendance, and at this level of sports, playoff attendance is routinely tougher to come by than regular-season attendance.

The WNBA's average rating for seven NBC telecasts this season has been 0.9 (975,857 TVHH).

8. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    In summary:

WUSA vs. WNBA

Attendance: 6.977 vs. 8,995 (or 7,000 vs. 9,000)

Ratings: 98,000 vs. 975,857

9. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious about the league's fan bases. Having only been to a few WUSA games, I have never noticed.

Both WUSA and the WNBA market themselves as "family friendly" leagues -- cheap entertainment for the suburban minivan set.

However, WNBA also has a significant urban lesbian fan base. This has lead to some real problems, as some teams and the league as a whole seem intent on acting as though no lesbian has entered an arena to watch a game.

Has this been a problem in WUSA? Law of averages alone says that some of the attendees at a game are lesbians. Have there been conflicts between the league and teams and lesbian fans?

BTW -- this is a serious question. I am not trying to start a flame fest here.

10. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

Response to Anthony

There has been a growing lesbian fan base at Freedom games, and many of their hardcore fans (like hardcore WNBA and LPGA fans) are lesbians. The D.C. gay/lesbian newspaper set up a stand at the last few Freedom home games, but they kept forgetting to bring any actual papers! (not that I am gay, just interested).

I don't think there is any real conflict at WNBA or WUSA games, it's just that the leagues/teams don't overtly acknowledge them.

I do think that WUSA (and MLS) need to target adult fans more often. There is still a great perception in America that soccer is inherently a kiddie sport, and that the two soccer leagues can't sell more tickets because the kids are too busy playing their own games. But the SAME THING is true of any pro sports league. No major sports league is based on kiddie fans; kids are ALWAYS going to be busy with their own activities/sports as well as, oh yeah, SCHOOL. Plus, of course, they don't have their own money/transportation.

There are only 25 or so home games COMBINED for the United/Freedom during the summer season, as opposed to 81 home games for baseball. Plus, baseball is more boring and lasts 3 hours or more, as opposed to the concise 2 hours for soccer.

If kids are too busy with their own crap to go to pro soccer games, who the hell goes to all those baseball games?

If kids are too busy with their own crap PLUS SCHOOL during the basketball/ice hockey season, who the heck goes to their 40-odd home games? (Again, as opposed to the 25 COMBINED pro soccer home games).......

11. Binchy

Binchy Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Choctaw territory
    I think the reluctance by the WNBA to boldly "embrace" their lesbian base has more to do with sponsorship dollars than whose butts are in the seats. Sponsors assume their product/service would lose business if it were associated more with lesbianism than family fun. Not long ago some NY Liberty fans staged "kissing" protests to express their disgust over the Liberty's ignoring them - pointedly to NY's GM Carol Blazejowski, who also happens to be a lesbian.

Yes, the WUSA needs to do a better job of marketing to adults. How, exactly, I'm not sure.