WUSA Retirements

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Kim-GoBeat!, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    I haven't heard anything official yet, but I expect quite a few retirements this year from the WUSA. Let's keep this thread open for anything official and "unofficial" ...might as well talk about something in the wake of season's end.

I heard a rumor that Liu Ailing is retiring...does anyone know if this is official?

Fear, I know you'll probably hear things first... can you keep this thread updated?

I know you guys talk about this stuff else where, but a lot of us haven't the time to track it down. One thread here that we can quickly see is a good option for me and other's that aren't on here that frequently.

I expect announcements will begin after the all-star game. Does anyone remember when players announced retirements last year?

Thanks!

2. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    I don't think we will see as many "retirements" as we did last year. I believe some of the big ones, Gro and Doris, announced their retirement before the season ended.

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    It was made official early this past season. If BS didn't clean house this summer I'd link the thread that was in the Charge forum that contained this info. She is retiring and will be working in China doing soccer stuff. I think she has a soccer camp of some sort set up over there.

Blalack "retired" sometime in the fall of 2001.

I think Fitschen announced her retirement from the leauge several weeks after FC1.

Venturini-Hoch has "hinted" that this may be her last season. This snippet was contained in a Modesto Bee article that is somewhere on Elo's site.

Crap...for some odd reason I thought I read somewhere around here that one of the German's playing for Boston was retiring after this season but I'm not 100% sure of that. Heck I may have gotten this mixed up with something else.

-----------------

FearM9's speculations:

1) Sun Wen and Gao Hong are done. One rumor that has been floating around recently is that the Chinese soccer federation will hold back all their Chinese players so that they can prep for the 2003 WWC.

2) I think most of the foreign players were signed to two year deals. There were some exceptions like I think with Nordby. ?????

4. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    Re: Re: WUSA Retirements

I've heard it was Meinert. Is that who you are thinking of???

5. This happened a long time ago, but what the heck is Elie Foster doing nowadays since quitting soccer?

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Nordby was signed for 2 years w/the league, but San Diego bought out her contract at the end of last season.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Re: Re: Re: WUSA Retirements

Damnit. I like her.

Weigmann should go ..

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Re: WUSA Retirements

Yes ma'am.

9. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    If Sunny goes by retirement than will Liping also retire? They were joined at the hip this season.

10. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

Diedre Enos and Laurie Schwoy......

Deidre Enos and Laurie Schwoy of Philadelphia retired......

Enos could have likely made the squad this year, but went instead, I think, to law school.......

I STILL don't know the story on Schwoy.......

11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: Re: Re: WUSA Retirements

Well....

From my WUSA Insider newsletter:

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Dear Ms. Carla Overbeck ---

Your mind and heart may still be able to go the full 90, but sadly your body cannot.

The Courage are both the 2002 regular season champs and more importantly the 2002 WUSA champions. You got the Courage there by getting the golden goal against my beloved Beat in the second playoff match. Congrats on that. You can now add the double to the other trophies and accolades you have accumulated throughout your illustrious soccer career. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

But there comes a time when you must step down and I do believe that time is now. You've led a soccer life that many of us truly envy but it is time for you to move on and let the next generation of Carla Overbeck's come up through the ranks.

Sincerly,
    FearM9

-----------------------------------

HOWEVER..in a recent article...Overbeck was quoted as saying that she would like to come back next season. :rolleyes:

My suggestion...enter the coaching ranks with the ultimate goal being the next head coach of the USWNT when Heinrichs contract is up.

13. Socceroo

Socceroo New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    CA
    <set mode UNLURK>
    Good thread, KGB. But why is the discussion of league-wide player retirements being carried out in the Atlanta forum, instead of the WUSA forum?

--Socceroo
    <set mode LURK>

14. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001

That's why.
    :)

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike

No dang clue.

16. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA

Yes. Yes it is.

Thanks for reading the WHOLE post, MelB...:D!!!

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    csatl posted in this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=224086#post224086

----------

I'm with Bruce on this. Having this thread in the WUSA forum would allow for more people to see this thread and possibly weigh in on this issue.

It's a simple mouse click.

18. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret

because we are BEAT fans -- do we have to have a reason? ;)

19. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    well...okay.

20. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    If Sun Wen retires from the WUSA, I don't think this would be a terrible thing for the Beat. I remember how awesome she was in WC 1999 but she never has produced at that level for the Beat. Obviously she has had to deal with injuries and culture shock. Even though having her on the team is a feather in WUSA's cap, I think it would be wise for the Beat to get some new blood on the team and attempt to get younger and faster.

21. fanofall

fanofall New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Craftiness doesn't go stale but the body can't always respond the way the head wants it to move. Exciting soccer takes speed, precision and polish. "Oohs" and "aahs" from a soccer-wise crowd are reserved not for long boots but for skill and accurate ball-control. Wise older players should move into Assistant coach roles. Why throw out expertise?