WUSA (Did the founding players want to take a risk?)

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by truthandlife, Sep 16, 2003.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I asked some questions TOTC and da_cfo gave me a few answers and I responded. What is wrong with that? If you can answer the questions and argue the facts then knock yourself out.

I know your type. You always have to win an argument no matter if your losing or not. You think you have all the answers because you have been on this forum for so long posting 7400 messages. When you start to lose a debate you start trying to beat people up and imply they have some kind of agenda.

When you have some facts about the WUSA, how it was setup, and how it folded then we start to debate the issues instead of just attacking people you don't agree with.

If Bill Clinton is your hero he would be so proud of you. He was the king of the politics of personal destruction.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Founding Players

Leagues fold all the time. Teams fold all the time. Companies fold all the time.

Occasionally, in these circumstances, employees voluntarily take paycuts. Not too often, though. And rarely, if ever, do they put their own capital at risk when joining the company.

WUSA didn't fail because its employees (i.e., soccer players) were unusually greedy. It failed because the owners were wrong about the business model. Which is pretty much why every business fails.

It's funny, you never hear women talking wishfully about how MLS should fail. This need for some people to see WUSA flop and to assign blame to any women associated with the endeavor ... jeez, let go of the anger. So you didn't get laid very often when you were a teenager. Join the club. Move on with your life.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please stop criticizing our greatest president since World War II.

PS...hates Bill Clinton, and apparently hates women's sports. Whodathunkit?

4. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    "We couldn't keep the doors open even another 24 hours without jeopardizing a decent and fair severance package for our employees,'' Hendricks said.

What was the severance package?

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered if he included the players as employees.

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Max Power

Max Power New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu
    Re: Re: Legitimate questions

"We couldn't keep the doors open even another 24 hours without jeopardizing a decent and fair severance package for our employees,'' Hendricks said.

If the founding players did indeed sign guaranteed contracts (guaranteed by the investors NOT WUSA), I don't see any advantage gained by the founders agreeing to disolve the league now versus later.

Notwithstanding my negative opinion of Ms. Foudy, I think by agreeing to pull the plug now, thereby ensuring the employees a decent severance package, she deserves to be commended, not vilified.

8. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Re: Re: Legitimate questions

I just think this poor us argument has to be scrutinized a little bit. What kind of severance package did they get?

9. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    the league folded before the wc so that all the other employee's and other players not a founder could get a fair severance package. it's so that the other 140+ other women and countless other employee's could be taken care of before they close up shop

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's probable that something like this was the case. But some would apparently rather see the WWC cancelled as well because most of the players couldn't get time off from Wal-Mart to play the games.

11. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy Idea: Beckham ponies up the $2Mil to keep the league afloat, raises his profile in the U.S. (for a relatively small fee) and becomes the hero of a million girls!

P.S. Stay away from Dunkin Donuts Coolattas!

12. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed this point.

Where did you see that WUSA only needs 2 million to survive? I thought the shortfall was something like $16 million/year.

Andy

13. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    In here:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=277467&cc=5901

Julie Foudy says:

Whether that means one infusion of 2mil, or several sponsers putting in 2mil each is subject to debate.

14. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why this up for debate.

It seems very clear to me as stated in the article below (as well as many different articles I have read on the topic, which is why your $2 million claim took me by surprise)

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,510054941,00.html

"While Hyundai and Johnson & Johnson were loyal supporters of the WUSA, the league had difficulty attracting other major sponsors. The league needed eight sponsors to spend $2.5 million each per year"

Using just these numbers that is a short fall of $15 million per year, which is a far far cry from a single $2 million payment to keep the league alive.

Andy

15. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Yet it is clear here that Foudy says only 2mil. Is she being deliberately vague?

16. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

Greed! What the hell are you talking about? Mia Hamm playing for $80K ($60K after cut)! Julie Foudy giving up medical school! Why don't you just come out and say what you want to say instead of posting these leading "questions"?

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your talking about a Clinton supporter here.