WUSA dead - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by geordienation, Sep 15, 2003.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
  2. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    WUSA is ceasing operations.

Just got word. I promise to post the article.

Paul

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Talk about crappy timing.

4. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    Not the whole article....but enough.

Women's United Soccer League Halts Operations After Three Years
    2003-09-15 15:43 (New York)

Women's United Soccer League Halts Operations After Three Years

Sept. 15 (Bloomberg) -- The Women's United Soccer
    Association is suspending operations, five days before the start
    of the biggest event in women's soccer.
    The decision was made by the league's board today in New
    York because of ``insufficient revenue'' and lack of corporate
    sponsorship, WUSA spokesman Dan Courtemanche said in an
    interview.
    The three-year-old league has scheduled a teleconference at
    4 p.m. New York time with Commissioner Lynn Morgan and Chairman
    John Hendricks.

--Brian Trusdell at the Princeton Sports Desk, (1)
    or btrusdell@bloomberg.net. Editor: Warner.

Story illustration: For functions related to this story, click on
    {CNP 10254610410 <GO>}.

5. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    so increased coverage of women's soccer is coming in 5 days- they could be talking about how good our league is and how most of the players in the WWC play in WUSA. Instead the talk throughout the tourney will be our lack of a leage and its failure. Maybe they're hoping for some pity $$

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like the definition of 'crappy timing', not so much for the league itself, which is dead anyway, but for the WWC. Who's gonna get excited about attending the wake of women's pro soccer?

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I guess they decided that making payroll and expenses for even one more month was too much. That's a fairly reasonable business decision if you think you won't be back in business next season, but still.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheesh, no kidding.

Sorry to see it go.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Could be the timing of this is directly related to the spotlight on women's soccer - they're hemmoraging money and hoping somebody steps forward and provides a life preserver.

That, or they have a crappy sense of timing.

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WUSA dead

I'll take the opposing view and say that the timing might actually be good here, particularly if the view was that the WUSA was a patient that could not be saved.

My guess is the timing is about getting this done early enough to leave open the possibility of having enough time for a replacement to move in.

Indeed, regardless of this news, there's going to be a lot of people attending Women's Soccer matches in this country in the next month or so, so the chances of someone saying "wait a minute, this still could work" might be greater a month from now than at any other point in the next four years.

IOW, the WUSA == Women's Pro Soccer is not necessarily the case. Convince enough people that Women's Pro Soccer is a viable product and that the WUSA's problems were management problems and you may be able to find enough dollars to find a temporarily suitable, if somewhat less ambitious, replacment.

Whether Women's Pro Soccer is a viable product, I don't know, but I think it's clear that various management decisions by the WUSA were pretty disastrous.

I would prefer a much less centralized structure than the WUSA had or MLS has as it would give multiple people multiple opportunities to make this thing work and give the sport a better chance of someone finding ways to sell the product (as a sport). But that's me.

11. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    I agree that by closing now there's a better chance for a replacement emerging next year, though I think it's a small chance.

I haven't followed WUSA but before it started one of my friends said that the only chance for success was through a partnership with MLS. Not necessarily a merger but at the very least a coordinated effort with a maximum number of double headers. Was that ever a possibility? I seem to recall that WUSA spurned any joint ventures and elected to pretty much go it alone.

Getting back to the future, I think all women's sports have the same problem: the majority of women aren't sports fans and the majority of sports fans (i.e., men) don't find women's sports interesting. Given that, I think the chances of a new league emerging are slim and the chances of success even slimmer.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I disagree. Severely. The league marketed to the jobless (i.e., 10-14-year-old girls) whose tastes vacillate from My Little Pony to Buffy faster than you could say "Julie Foudy."

Mind you, this does seem like a ploy. My high school made a big announcement it was shutting down and it "miraculously" opened a day later after a huge outcry.

This being said, the collapse of WUSA does not bode well for MLS.

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    >>>>MOD NOTE: If you want to discuss the WUSA dying here, cool. If you want to use this thread as a forum for pissing on women's soccer or specific players, you'll be carded.<<<<<

14. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I disagree with the last point. The future of any women's soccer league is now tied to how much they can piggyback on the base MLS has established. Specifically, the stadiums that have been/are being built for soccer and the operations/marketing support MLS/SUM has in place.

15. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is almost no connection here. One could make just as many arguements that this would help MLS as much as one could make the arguements that this could hurt MLS, neither of which hold much water after peeling the onion back.

Andy

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It's not the piggybacking I'm talking about.

If the present MLS sponsors (Radio Shack, Pepsi, etc.) sees a league flame out in three years which was spurred by 96,000 people in The Rose Bowl and all of that media buzz four years ago, there are shareholders and corporate types connected with MLS who are dumping excrement in their jockey shorts right now.

Pepsi was even about 15 minutes before the close, for example, then dropped three cents just before 4 p.m. Wonder if they got word of the Morgan press conference?

17. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    Crazy thought

Ok, I can't say anything about WUSA, how much money they lost, or how much money they make.

But I do recall Mr. Anschutz stepping in and being one of the largest operators of movie theaters by buying what appeared to be bankrupt movie theaters... for pennies on the dollar.

Not that it may be similar, but here is a league that is already "established" that he may be able to pick up for a bargain....

Not that a movie theater and the Freedom are the same, but maybe.....

Paul

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WUSA dead

I agree. MLS, particularly after this last week which has to be considered a smashing attendance success, looks awfully healthy right now. It's players are starting to be seen as somewhat valuable and it's likely they'll pick up some additional cash from player sales over the past few years. They have several new ownership groups showing a _serious_ interest in joining, and several clubs looking to plant down roots with SSS.

Considering how much MLS has limited their expenses, and the fact that their drawing as well as they are, I can't imagine MLS will be folding any time soon. There appears to be growth happening here (particularly considering the temporary situations in Dallas and Chicago) and though it is modest growth, growth of any kind is a very good sign.

The immediate entity most affected is most likely the W-League. Any ideas on what their next move is?

19. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding here or am I missing your point?

Now I know you are pulling our leg.

Andy

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: WUSA dead

Likely nothing. They've got a workable model as a women's PDL. Completely amateur, structured not to interfere with collegiate eligibility.

--
    There is a risk to MLS. Not a major one, but the WUSA's biggest failing was in lack of corporate sponsorships. If corporate money decides that soccer isn't quite worth the risk, that can cause erosion. I don't think it'll tip any scales, but it may make things a bit leaner than they'd otherwise be.

21. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could just as easy say

"If corporate money decides that womens sports isn't quite worth the risk, that can cause expansion in sponsorship to MLS. I don't think it'll tip any scales, but it may make things a bit stronger than they'd otherwise be."

Thing is every one seems to automatically assume that the sponsors will blame this on soccer failings instead of womens sports failings. Shame though, because from what we can tell from the early returns of the press conference, it was neither. It was just good old fashioned bad business decisions and risk taking.

Andy

22. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    While I disagree completely with the latter, the former is very quotable and in line with my feelings on WUSA's marketing efforts (marketing it as family entertainment instead of as a soccer league).

23. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Anyone have any numbers about the cash burn rate, etc.? IIRC, WUSA burned up more cash in the first year than it expected to in three years.

And then there was the PAX deal...

What other pro-leagues will the players migrate to now?

24. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should come up with a list of the poor decisions WUSA made to catalouge them.

Although I am not sure anything could top what Hendricks said in the press conference. From another WUSA thread LMoroney reported the following:

"Perhaps the most eye-opening statement was from Hendricks, who, in his words, drunk and high on the euphoria from WWC 99, expected corporate sponsors to line up to sponsor the league.

When the legue started it was then spending money as if those sponsors were already onboard. So, they learned the old lesson of counting your chickens before the eggs hatched -- the hard way."

Andy

25. BigSoccer Radio

BigSoccer Radio New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    Not surprised

As we reported on BigSoccer Radio Weekend a month ago, the league was unlikely to return.

It took a $2M cash infusion from USSF which went into special session at the last Annual General Meeting to get the league through the Founders Cup.

The loss of WUSA is a major blow to Womens sports in the US. There's been a lot of posts regarding marketing, demographics etc. etc. and I think all of them bear some truth.

One of the legacy the WUSA will leave is the emergence of Pro Womens Soccer league in other parts of the world. They are starting to develop the league in England now as an adjunct to the mens teams - same stadium/practice facility and little redundant overhead.

While not surprised at the announcment I am shocked at the timing. I was convinced that they would use the WWC as a showcase to garner new investment dollars