WUSA Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by XYZ, Jul 17, 2002.

1. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    They had almost 5 months to publicize it, the home side was within 3 minutes of qualifying for the match, even had Mia to promote for a week, had a relatively small stadium to help increase demand for tickets, and the two finalists were reasonably close so that many away fans were able to travel to support their teams on short notice.

Boston/Foxboro had 5 WEEKS to promote FC I, Boston and Mia were long out of the playoff race, a large stadium meant nobody had to rush to ensure they got in, and neither finalist was from within 1000 miles of the place. And yet they still outdrew Atlanta by 6K.

2. magster56

magster56 New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Orange County
    There is a good reason for this......

I traveled to NY from Calif. to see that game..the main reason for the low attendance to that game was because the USWNT played the following day in Blaine, MN. None of the NT players w/either team were at the WUSA game.

3. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: There is a good reason for this......

My condolences - and I thought *I* went through a lot of trouble to attend that match! We should get a medal from WUSA, that was the worst match in league history for a variety of reasons and we knew it would be ahead of time!

Attendance was low that night because both teams stunk, even with their internationals, and NY doesn't draw flies for anybody but Mia even under good circumstances. And the reality is that the paid attendance was more like 1000 or 1500 - the Power gave away four free tickets to every season ticketholder for the match. I used one of MagicLamp's comp tickets, and she used one to get back into the stadium after leaving to pick me up at halftime so she was counted twice!

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Good one! :D

5. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Re: Re: There is a good reason for this......

Actually, the above statement isn't entirely correct. Season ticket holders were given a choice of 3 different games to choose from for their 4 comp tickets. I happened to pick that one as "our" Milbrett (Kathy) was going to come to that game (she couldn't make it) and it was the best date for my scrounging up other people to come. (which I couldn't do, except for Ron :( )

But yeah, the game stunk! It didn't even live up to my pregame billing - way stupid high scoring, fisticuffs and tantrums or anything the least bit controversial. Darn. :D

Norma

6. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: There is a good reason for this......

Oh there was a tantrum at the end of the game - guess who from? :p

7. magster56

magster56 New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Orange County
    Re: Re: There is a good reason for this......

I remember you! You were sitting at the table next to me at Champions afterward! I was at the table that was between your table and the Spirit Players table. The table where Lauren took the mike to sing "Without Me" ala Emimem, which as I recall, you also participated in!!! :D

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: There is a good reason for this......

Sorry I didn't recognize you online! I don't remember taking the mike, but yeah I helped karaoke Eminem!

9. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Re: Re: Re: Re: There is a good reason for this......

Ummmmmm... uhhhhhh... errrrrrrrr.... gee, could her initials be SASKIA WEBBER??!! LOL!! I guess it wasn't as memorable as the time she went and kicked the side boards! Maybe they're just all blending together, I don't know... I'm anxious to see how Sermanni handles it - and everything else - next season.

:D
    Norma