WUSA Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by XYZ, Jul 17, 2002.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that would explain that. I didn't know anything about the new stadium, where it was or anything.

But apparently Tom Stone's 110-pound players didn't tear up Georgia Tech's football turf and tick GT's coach off this year, so all must be right in Atlanta.

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    :p

(That grass wasn't as hurt as Jimbo was talking about ... )

Even if O'Leary and Stone had not had it out about the turf, the Beat would have found someplace else to play anyway -- Bobby Dodd's going through some pretty big renovations over the next year or two and would have needed to complete the different phases before the college football season started.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooooooo...they decided to put the championship game in this place, and charge $40 for most of the seats. Wow.

If the Beat's not in it (or even if they are), I think they're going to struggle to sell tickets. They'd better hope for Atlanta and Washington to win Saturday so at least they can have the home team in it and The Mia Effect to help things along.

4. Thats all this league averaged. This league must be in danger of extinction with those numbers. They are sun wnba.

5. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Actually I believed that WOOSA's target attendance for this year was right around 7000, but I could be wrong though.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Re: WUSA Attendance Thread

I swear on my father's grave that I thought it was 7500. :confused:

:eek:

7. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: WUSA Attendance Thread

You could very well be right. At least I got 3 of the numbers right :D

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they said 7500 for last year and made mention of the fact that they exceeded that. It would stand to reason that they would hope for an increase in Year 2, even though that's when you have to work harder sometimes to get the same results.

9. Thats good then that they almost hit their atendance mark. What i don't get is how that can be their goal and they can still survive while mls averages like 15k yet they supposedly lose lots of money. Does anyone know the economics of this?

10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Well, see, most people outside ATL are probably not aware of Morris Brown's repuation. They just know it's right down from the GA dome.

If they get Beat and/or Mia in the finals, I'm sure attendance will get a boost, but MANY people have already bought theirs, knowing the small capacity of Morris Brown (compared to Foxboro last year).

11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think part of it is the stadiums they play in, how much they pay for rent, etc. I mean, SAS Stadium in Cary, NC only seats a max. of 7,000. Atlanta's max is 16,000, but because of the neighborhood, I'm pretty certain they got a decent deal for it.

But all in all, I think the WUSA has kept a better check on their expenses, at least this year. God only knows, last year they threw around money a little too optimistically. But they're learning. And they have to learn quick or they'll be gone in no time.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (a) WUSA doesn't spend as much on players and stadia;
    (b) WUSA has only, to this point, "survived" for two years. Big difference. If they don't make it to year four, there's your answer.

13. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Sophomore slump
    Attendances falls in WUSA's second season
    CNNSI - Friday August 16, 2002

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: WUSA Attendance Thread

In fact, the USSF is paying for the final two roster slots on each team this year. The roster sizes are dangerously (or desperately) small. On top of that, the salaries are much to crow about, either.
    Yep. That's the biggie. Unless the league is hemmoraghing money, it would be a public relations nightmare for the funders to not play next summer. I expect the league to survive until next fall's Womens World Cup. After that, all bets are off. Either the WWC will help draw enough new investors and advertisers, or the league will cease to exist in any meaningful shape or form.

Of course, I seriously doubt the league will continue to exist in its current form. A more workable (financially speaking) arrangement would be to get WUSA teams into existing SSS with local ownership and control. I can't imagine that the Freedom make any money at all. 6,000 fans at RFK stadium can't possibly cover the rent. 5,000 fans at Blackbaud, however, would do quite nicely. Especially if the Battery ownership had a stake in the team.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From there, Hendricks:

If they continue to have eight teams play 21 games each, that's a total of $7,245,000 in ticket revenue. For the league. Can you run a league on that? Even assuming you can find, let's say, an equal amount in sponsor money? Cash? $15 million to run 8 teams and a league office? In, say, 2005 dollars? If you're paying 18 players an average of $45,000 each, that's $810,000 per team. Maybe you can, but I'm thinking you'll be serving Ramen noodles a lot.

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    8/17/02
    Freedom v Charge
    Villanova aka TRL Stadium :rolleyes:
    Eh?

17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    ROFL :D

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    8/17/02
    Beat v Courage
    SAS
    Eh?

19. yuk. Well at least they got the matchup they want for the final Mia vs. Atlanta. Should be a good gate for this one.

20. judymd

judymd New Member

yeah, but its mia vs. carolina.

21. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    I'll be the first to admit - we should have sold out the place. Shame on us. :(

The &@^$~!'n X-Games are in town, and the Phillies and Cardinals were at the Vet in a totally meaningless series for the locals save for the return of Scott Rolen as a Cardinal. Both WERE significant factors in the attendance being as abysmal as it is, and I've tried not to excuse-a-rama something like our attendance.

We keep moaning in this region that we've gone 19 years without a championship, the longest time a North American city of similar size has gone without one. Maybe we're not so bent out of shape about that as I thought we were.

Today was just the 11th time in 21 years Philadelphia has hosted a championship qualification game in a major pro sport. If the fans had cared enough about that, then the Freedumbers who came up here would have been a lot less than 300 or so.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long was it from the time you knew there was going to be a playoff game until the time the game was actually played? That's a significant factor as well. As is the fact that you can't put groups together for a playoff game, usually, as groups take a while to pull together, and the fact that, usually, you start from scratch without your season ticket base as most teams don't include the first playoff game in their season ticket package.

Do you really think the people who would go to the X-Games or go to boo Scott Rolen are people who would be the target audience for the Charge? Or could the time/lack of groups/starting over have had as much to do with it?

You only missed your season average by, what, 400 people? That's actually an amazing accomplishment, even moreso if, indeed, the Charge don't include a playoff game in their season ticket package. The playoffs at this level of sport simply aren't the draw in and of themselves that everyone seems to think they should be. They're a hard sell, you don't just open the doors and watch the people roll in.

23. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    X-Games, yes; Phillies, admittedly, no; their game started 15 minutes before the Charge teed it up. We don't include a playoff game in the season ticket package, we just get a letter asking us to buy the ticket before a certain date in July.

We had only 4,000 or so sold as of Wednesday. Now it can be told, per the Philly Inquirer.

Who's to blame for that, I guess, is the next question? A semifinal in any league should not be considered a baseball division series throwaway game like the Braves fans treat it :rolleyes:

Paul

24. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    One more thing...

Carolina's SAS seats what, 7,500 or so? So they had a better attendance capacity percentage than we could muster today.

Paul

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet there are any number of leagues in which this is, sadly, the case, because the competition itself is not as important to the masses as it is to the hardcores.