wtf...Benfica at home in the first leg???(somebody explain) yeah you UEFA

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by wtf_SCOLARI!!, Mar 5, 2008.

1. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    When the draw for the round of 16 ties were made back in December I believe, the winner of the match between Benfica and Nurnberg were supposed to have the advantage of playing the second leg of the round of 16 at home. As it turns out now, on the Uefa website all of a sudden Benfica has to play the first leg at home hence giving the Spanish team once again the advantage for the second leg. I am bewildered no one has pointed this out, all of the other ties were correct except you guessed it, this one which involves a Portuguese team. I'm just pointing out how much the higher ups at Uefa hate the Portuguese (they are all either French, German or Swiss) ps I would have loved to see the looks on their faces when Porto totally dominated Europe for two straight seasons. First the hate for voting Messi ahead of Ronaldo for world player, Platini talking Ronaldo's hype down and this...there is more to come, just you wait my fellow geez...keep your eyes open and I hope we are all on the same team when Porto hopefully knocks out Schalke this Wednesday...Forca!!

2. Guilhe

Guilhe New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    I'm not sure but I think it's to avoid both Lisbon teams to play at home in the second leg.

3. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    that's a bunch of crock...it's ok to have inter and milan play at home in the second leg....truth is there is no reasoning.

4. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    AC Milan and Inter play in the same stadium and Inter plays their match next week. I don't know why it was Benfica specifically that had to play at home in the first leg of this round. It definately has something to do with both clubs being in Lisbon, naturally. Why don't you google it to see if you come up with something? (no, I am not trying to be sarcastic)

5. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    The first team drawn will play its first match at home against the second team drawn. The same procedure will then be repeated for the other Round of 16 matches.

6. fuma242

fuma242 New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Rutherford NJ
    From what i understand, it was Benfica that wanted it like this.

this was in "O Jogo"

Getafe joga na Luz no dia 6 de Março

Garantida a presença nos oitavos-de-final da Taça UEFA, os responsáveis encarnados acertaram já a data do jogo da primeira mão frente ao Getafe. O jogo com a formação espanhola ficou agendado para dia 6 de Março, no Estádio da Luz. O sorteio da UEFA ditou que o Getafe recebesse primeiro os encarnados no seu recinto, mas os dirigentes dos dois emblemas já dialogaram, acordando a mudança do programa.

Go Figure