Writing of a Sefer Torah

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by texgator, Jul 9, 2009.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    The process of handwriting a Torah is an ancient art form that has been kept in tact for well over a 1,000 years. There is nary a Jew in the world who hasn't had some form of experience with a Sefer Torah. Whether it be reading from one on their Bar Mitzvah, dancing with one on Simchas Torah, or just hearing someone else read one on Shabbos or the Holidays. But how many of us know how they are made? How the instruments used to make a Sefer Torah are prepared? A synagoue I attend regularly has just recently begun the writing of a new Sefer Torah. The Sofer is blogging about the process and it's a fascinating read. Everything from preparing the quill and ink, to how the letters are formed....all detailed here, check it out and let me know what you think. As far as we can tell this is the first time a sofer has blogged the writing of a new Sefer Torah.

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta slow down when I read. I thought it said "Writing a Safer Torah"...

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's what I saw at first too. The mind plays tricks, trying to take shortcuts.

For those of us who are ignorant gentiles, it should be pointed out that a Sefer Torah is something like this:

[​IMG]

That one is obviously an ancient one, but they still keep making them in the traditional way.

Who says we don't grow in knowledge here at BigSoccer?

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Hey...that's not a bad idea....there have been too many injuries related to the dangerous act of torah lifting. Maybe we can wrap it in foam or something. LOL.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which letter was incorrectly copied into a Torah with the consequence that evil was brought into the world?

6. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know but wow, the Jews do get blamed for everything.

:)

I know it is an expensive propisition. My aunt commisioned a Sefer Torah for her kehillah here in Cleveland (OK, Beachwood, surprised?) and it set her back. A quick glance shows:

http://www.stam.net/torah_scrolls.aspx

But you get the whole megillah.

No, really, you can buy a megillah.

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Evil was brought into the world when Adam ate the fruit of the tree, nothing incorrect about it, that was the way it was originally designed.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect intended by my comment. It was mentioned in the book Foucault's Pendulum. Perhaps Umberto Eco made it up himself.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    None taken. Maybe that's some kind of Da Vinci Code deal....I don't know.

Ha....looked up the book on wikipedia because you got me curious.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I loved that book...I guess I have to read it again, because I can't even remember that part...it's been a while...

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Probably. It is after all a book about conspiracy theories.

Eco is a great writer. Sometimes a bit too complex, which makes him hard to follow, but I love his books and his writing style.

And btw, I also cannot remember the part you refer to. That book covers so much, it's hard to remember all the details.

12. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake. It's in The Portage to San Cristobal of A. H. by George Steiner. Chapter 9.

A dangerous book.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That one I have not read.

14. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame Eco for the spewing of biblical mythology/ conpiracy theory books which he did well on Foucault's Pendulum and is meeting its demise none to soon at the hands of Dan Brown.

A sefer torah contains 304,805 letters.