Writing a ref job application?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by act smiley, Sep 2, 2006.

1. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    OK, this is probably a bit different from the usual "take the introductory course from the USSF" you guys probably repeat seven hundred times a day when someone thinks about becoming a ref but I'd still like to get your opinions as this is the first place that came to mind when it comes to referees talking about football, rather than people talking about referees :p
    Anyway, I'm considering applying to referee the University's recreational league, training is provided according to the ad (whether its proper FAW accredited stuff or not, I don't know), but I was wondering what positives I'd do best to emphasise while applying, considering I've not got any experience.
    Cheers!

2. intechpc

intechpc Member

Sep 22, 2005
    West Bend, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's see. Now it's hard to say what they'll be looking for but here are some thoughts based on what I'd want in a ref. Do you have an understanding of the laws of the game either through playing or at minimum being a fan? You don't have to be an expert or even well versed because they are providing training, but a basic understanding of the laws would be important. For that matter, just an understanding of the game in general is a very important aspect to being a good referee. So anything related to understanding the game would be important from my perspective. Physical fitness is also key. At a high school level those kids will have you running your socks off. You need to be able to run that field for the full 90 minute match! Finally, a mature attitude that shows the ability to be impartial. Do try to hard to put on a face for them, just be who you are and if you have a genuine care for being a good impartial ref, it will come through.

3. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Thanks for the advice, I kept it in mind while writing them an email. Fingers crossed eh :)