Write it Offseason: The FCD 2020-21 Offseason Thread [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Dec 7, 2020.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that when FCD was scuffling a little bit at the back this season when Cap'n Matt was injured and Reto was going through his contact tracing issues, the fact that Mongomery didn't get any PT was pretty telling. And Reto... well, Buzz had been saying on the pod that his declaring himself to be out was not the best move for a guy who's on the tail end of his career. I don't think he saw the starting XI after that.

The good news (I guess) is that with Mosquera's exit, FCD now has another DP slot to use on someone who will be outshone by the homegrowns.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think when that Nashville player put Reto on his ass before scoring a 3rd on us was the end of Reto's (FCD) career.

4. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Bressan was a center back after Reto fell out of favor, but I'm not convinced he's the partner for Hedges we need. And if Reynolds leaves, our defense is suddenly missing some key pieces.

Mosquera's time was up a long time ago. Not sure how he earned a DP spot, but I'm hopeful we can now acquire someone who can break down defenses. Between Ricaurte and Pomykal, we may already have the midfield part of that. But as the season went on, Jara started to look more like Colman. I think I'm ready to call that a bust.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jara is just a square peg for a round hole. He's not the right type of striker for Luchi ball but Dan Hunt insisted on getting him...3 years after seeing him play one game....

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Every ten years one of the Hunts tries their hand at selecting a DP and it hasn't worked either time - Denilson, Jara. I'm of the opinion that Denilson wasn't so bad because there was a quick opt out. Jara may involve taking a hit, going to a two forward formation where he is an off striker or sitting him on the bench like they do with their other DP's.

7. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, as a more general matter, this season has to be more or less a success for the Hunts, right? Play the kids, keep them in the shop window, and just enough success on the pitch to maintain competitive credibility.

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depressingly true.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just imagine if they sell Reynolds for several million in the offseason on top of the Cannon sale in the summer.

“BEST SEASON EVER!”

cowtown repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hunts don't need attendance as selling players for more than the rest of the league is their championship! To be fair I am hooked on mostly local kids being important to the team. I just wish they'd learn who to choose better DP's to turn them into occasional champions instead of buying pretty average DP's that may actually block HG's.

11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    As a fan I want to see the kids play. Of course I want them to win but in order to do that like @Pegasus says, they have to do better on their foreign buys. That's what's held FCD back. It's not the kids. It's the absolutely dreadful performances by that list of names that got cut and others like Jara who should go out the door.

Luchi improving as a coach as he gains experience should mean they're better next year than they were this year too.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it odd that the league seems to be split into teams that win by veterans and good high quality DP's and teams that have really good HG's but average veterans and DP's. If anyone finds the magic formula of really good HG's and DP's and good veterans watch out.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was too wrapped up in Liverpool's last minute, big win that I totally missed the Fafa news...

https://3rddegree.net/fafa-picault-traded-to-houston-dynamo

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez is the replacement for Ziegler. Bressan provides cover in the center if needed. Obrian can hopefully help our scoring woes, plus he might take over Ziegler's PK duties.

More interesting to me is the prospect of landing striker Juan Dinenno from Pumas. He's a classic #9 who seems to score more with his head than foot. If true, I wonder if Jara's days are numbered...

https://www.bigdsoccer.com/fc-dalla...190839/report-fc-dallas-transfer-juan-dinenno

16. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Don't tease about Jara. Still think they need at least one more winger or they're convinced Sealy can come off the bench, start occasionally, and do a job.

Someone please talk me down off the ledge about them moving Hollingshead to RB. That is such a bad decision if it happens.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    herculez gomez
    @herculezg

1h
    19yr old Bryan Reynolds with less than a season under his belt will be sold to powerhouse Juventus for a reported $10M .. Take it and run FCD/MLS. Insane piece of business.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barrios to Colorado.

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah. Probably was the right time but always was gonna be tough to see him leave. Hopefully it's for the greater good and he doesn't get replaced by some flop.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been a real baller for us but has been slipping the last couple of years.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know it's dead on these boards but I have to at least do a minor post about the big news regarding Bryan Reynolds...

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2021/02/01/fc-dallas-homegrown-bryan-reynolds-joins-roma

cowtown repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's so a couple of days ago. Che just got a loan to Bayern Munich today. Chris Richards got a loan to Hoffenheim yesterday. And that's not even discussing the US game where somehow Ferreira got more goals and assists in one game than he did last year while Tessmann made his full national team debut, Reynolds would have if he wasn't on the move.

24. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume Ferreira's numbers in an FCD jersey would be better if we played the T&T B/C team every week, too. He looked very sharp, though, and you certainly want him to destroy an inferior opponent like that rather than struggling.

25. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Servania and Cerillo are trialing with St. Pölten of the Austrian Bundesliga following their time in Munich. Seems Bayern thought that's a good place for them to develop and made the connection. Two Bayern Munich II youngsters joined them for training in Austria, including American Taylor Booth.