News: WPSL, W-League take shape for 2011

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by StarCityFan, Feb 3, 2011.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPSL, W-League take shape for 2011

W-League geography is getting almost as freaky as WPS geography: there's only one team in the US midwest this year, and that's Dayton, making it one of only three US teams not in a coastal state. But at least the west is expanding, with a full eight teams west of the Mississippi. I think it was more like four only a couple of years ago.

2. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.examiner.com/soccer-in-seattle/wpsl-gets-a-river-city-rebirth-2011-with-new-spokane-club

[​IMG]

“We want to absolutely honor the season of the Black Widows, and absolutely honor Al Brown (who kept the Spiders alive in the PDL for a number of years, and helped establish the WPSL in Spokane last year.) He is a visionary,” says Davis.
    “The new club plans to have many of the same people around on and off the pitch. “Some of the players will be back this year, and certainly the same coach, Jason Quintero. We will have remarkable food, and things for kids to do.”

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    The W-League has a higher cost then the other leagues But it provided the structure needed to run a good league. The rules they have in place make for good games and provide a the right atmosphere. Teams are looking to save money but they will suffer in many other parts of the game.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the W-league has their schedule out already.

http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/schedules/index_E.html

The WPSL, still not out there (on their website).

WMLS has a schedule for their top division for the first 2 weeks.

But I also found this, not a good start.

http://ourgamemagazine.wordpress.co...no-longer-part-of-womens-major-league-soccer/

6. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Wow the W-League sure has a different look!!!!!

The Wmls has weak teams! Chicago Breeze was terrible in the Wpsl. Cleveland and FW IND never did anything in the W-League.

7. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Hamilton Avalanche hired a new head coach in Joe Moscato http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/home/495211.html
    His sister, Carmelina, will act as assistant, presumably when she isn't busy with her CNT duties. Hamilton has a new ownership group and they've launched a PDL team called the Rage. I don't think they've said if the Avalanche will keep their name or become the Lady Rage, or what.

I'd like to see all the Canadian PDL teams launch a W-League or WPSL team, except I guess, London, where the PDL team and the W-League team are not associated with one another, I believe. Winnipeg has a new PDL team this year and it would be good if they eventually had a women's team, to give women in Western Canada a choice closer to home. The same goes for the NASL's Edmonton club. I seem to recall the short-lived Edmonton Aviators women's team had decent support a few years back.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This summer did not live up to the expectations of Minnesota Kings FC owner Tim Haselberger. Both the men’s team and the first-year women’s team struggled during the season with player attendance and missed the play-offs. However, despite the on-field disappointment, the Minnesota Kings FC organization has been taking large steps forward and is wasting no time improving the quality and size of their youth academy and adding to their training resources and facilities.

At the end their second season playing in the National Premier Soccer League (NPSL), the Kings finished second from the bottom in the Midwest conference with a record of 2-8-2. “It was a terrible year,” said Haselberger, who is also goalkeeper for the Kings. “We had players who viewed the team as more of a rec-team than a professional team.” Problems with attendance and work rate at practices and training plagued the team during the season, but with the season over the Kings are already taking steps to recruit new players and beginning to fix what didn’t work for next year.

A new addition to the Kings organization will be a USL Super 20 League team. In addition to competing on its own in the Super 20 League, the team will serve as a reserve squad for the NPSL team. As the Super 20 team develops and the players improve, the team will provide quality players for future NPSL seasons. This addition to the player pool will also make earning spots on the NPSL team more competitive. If players begin to fall into habits similar to those this past season they will find themselves replaced.

The Kings women’s team finished their first season in the Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL) this summer. While the team may have fared better in the standings than the men’s team by finishing the season 4th in their conference, their season record of 3-6-1 fell short of expectations. A player pool that featured a number of players from the University of Minnesota women’s team that nearly made it to the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament gave the Kings a strong side, but injuries and other conflicts prevented the team from fielding their best squad. “I think we could have won the league,” said Haselberger, “but we hardly got to play with our full team; next year will be better.”

Next year will also bring a large expansion to the Kings Soccer Academy. After successfully establishing teams at the U5-U13 levels the Kings are adding teams from U14-U18. These new youth teams will be competing in the USL Super Y League. In order to continue to establish the Academy as an elite youth soccer club, there will be only one team per age group for both boys and girls. By competing in the Super Y League the Kings organization will now be able to provide high level competition from around the nation for their players at the youth level and give them a path from U5 soccer directly to professional soccer.

The final move forward for the Kings organization this year is the improved training resources and facilities which will be available to the NPSL and WPSL teams and youth teams. In early October the Kings will open up their soccer dome in St. Michael, Minnesota which will provide a facility where the various Kings teams will train year-round. The Kings have also teamed up with inFit and Anytime Fitness in Albertville to provide their teams with programs focused on nutrition, flexibility, fitness testing, and workout routines inspired by the National Academy of Sports Medicine.

Tryouts for the new Kings USL Super Y-League U14-U18 teams will take place August 1st and 3rd at STMA Middle School East. For more information visit the Kings Academy web site.

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

New news is good news, I hope. Wish you well.

Since the Capitols are going to start in the year 2012, shall we make a "WPSL, W-League take shape for 2012" thread instead? I'm eager to see a presense in San Diego.