WPSL 2006 division make up

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by ButlerBob, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So from their site this is what the divions look like. It looks like Steel city / Pittsburgh is moving to the Midwest divsion. Also they list Houston in two divisions. http://www.wpsl.info/index.html

East
    Adirondack Lynx
    Atlantic City Diablos
    Bay State Select
    Boston North Aztecs
    Maryland Pride
    Mass Stingers
    New England Mutiny
    Northhampton Laurels
    Phili Pirates
    Rhode Island Rays

Mid West
    FC Indiana
    Houston Stars
    Michigan Phoeniz
    St. Louis Archers
    Steel City Sparks

South
    Central FL Strikers
    Miami Surf
    Orlando Falcons
    South Florida Breeze

Southwest
    Denver Diamond
    Everton FC
    Houston Stars
    New Mexico Thunder
    Utah Spiders

West
    Ajax America
    California Storm Sacremento
    FC Saremento Pride
    Lamorinda East Bay Power
    San Diego Sea Lions
    San Fran Nighthawks
    Sonoma Co. Sol

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, in the west I forgot to include the Las Vegas Tabagators. Not sure what a Tabagator is?

3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There used to be an explanation on the team's own website, but it doesn't seem to be there any more - and I can't remember what it was...

The West still has 8 teams in it, but with Utah replaced by newcomer Sonoma Sol. I wonder why the Pride changed their name from Elk Grove to Sacramento.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something that I found on the WPSL web site. It's their business plan / constitution / bylaws /requirements for new franchises. Below is a link to the pdf.
    http://www.wpsl.info/docs/WPSL_Docs.pdf

It had a lot of good information in the document and gives a list of expected expenses. There isn't really a mention of revenue sources, but pretty much covers everything that is involved. Also, I think it's great that they have it available on their site for prospective franchises to take a look at. However, there seems to be some inconsistent wording throughout the document. Now bear in mind that my real job is to write requirement documents for IT projects and I'm some what overly critical of all documents. But here are some things that I found confusing.

1. In section A of the Business Plan it mentions a minimum of 16 games that teams will play. I'm guess this isn't a requirement for all teams, because not all of their teams play 16 games.

2. There is mention of $5000 performance bond for first year teams, but it's not included in the list of one time expenses. I guess I should call one of my accounting friends to better understand what type of expense this is.

3. The expected expenses between east and west are different. Not just amounts but categories. Not sure why officials in the east are more expensive then in the west. From past experiences the league usaully set the fee they pay for all games. For the west they have assume 7 home games for expense and the East they have 5. In addition for the East they have expected costs for coaches and trainers, but for the West they are optional.

4. In section E Timetable, there is mention of a $250 or $300 monthly fee, but it's not mentioned any where else in the expected budget/expenses. In the same section there is mention of a $5000 payment to USASA. Is this a requirement of the team or the league?

5. In section Article 1.3 League Structure. It talks about a Premier First Division and Second Division. And then it talks about other regions within the First Division, but would have their own methods of operation. And also the ability to have a sperate entity within the WPSL structure. It seemed rather confusing.

Overall I think they provide a lot of very useful information for groups thinking about a franchise. It also provdes information about the league and it's organization. Again, some of questions / views may be from usually being overly critical when looking at documents. I'm sure these are things that are explained by the league when they meet with prospective franchises.

They provide pretty much every form that a group would possibly need. One of the things that I really liked was the Media Game report form. It looks like it could be very useful.

5. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The business plan, etc., section was there last year, albeit with some changes - especially about the differences between the east and west. I didn't look at the costs as closely as you did, so I didn't notice some of the discrepancies that you did. The minimum number of games is a hold-over from two years ago (and most teams didn't meet the requirement then because of the number of teams that didn't travel for their away games, that caused a lot of hard feelings), but because of the changes in the numbers of teams last year that dropped to 14.

The performance bond wouldn't be considered a cost if the team doesn't default on its responsibilities - as the funds would still belong to the team, not the league or anyone else. And of course the amount lessens each year as the team proves its trustworthyness.

6. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they moved towards correcting the issue of having their teams, and possibly their league champion, only playing four official league games?

7. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sounds like a type of insurance in case the team goes bankrupt or closes.

8. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    A performance bond is a form of "insurance" that a team (or any other business) will perform its contractual obligation.

In this instance, it is a hammer to encourage teams to play all their WPSL games (including those expensive road trips to Las Vegas at the very end of the season, for example :) ). If a team flakes out, the League gets the $5000 (probably to share with the team or teams affected by the flake out).

I suppose they didn't include it in the budget because if you deposit $5000 cash in lieu of an actual bond, you can get the $5000 back after the season is over. So no net expense.

But the reality is, you have to come up with that $5000 before the season begins, so it really is an expense or a liability (balanced out by an equal asset on the other side of the books).

And probably it's waived for the solid teams that have been around for a while or otherwise have solid financial backing (for example the Storm, Ajax, Indiana).

9. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight. I guess I was thinking of it like an expense because it was still 5k that you needed to come up with and couldn't use.

I'm going to try and make it to a couple of WPSL games this year. With some of the players that Indiana has signed, I'd really like to go see them play. I think they will be exciting to watch.

10. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that they have added anther team to the midwest division. The team is SC Illinois and looks like it's across the river from St. Louis. It's on the news page it's down a few stories and is listed as being announced on the 11th of this month.
    http://www.wpsl.info/news/index.html

Their director of operations is Lindsay Kennedy who briefly playd for the indoor Steamers last year. On the team's site, her title is Queen. Thought that was funny, I wonder how long until that is changed.

11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another article about the new team in IL / St. Louis area.

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2006/01/30/daily17.html

It looks like the changed the different divisions again on the league site. At one time they had Steel City in the midwest and now they are back in the east. There is currently only 3 teams in the midwest and 4 in the southwest. It will be interesting to see how many league games teams in those divisions play.

12. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some news on the league web site about Palm Beach and Colorado Springs. So they are getting 5 new teams in Florida this year. This goes along with the 3 teams in the W-League. There will be a lot of opportunity college players to play during the summer.

http://www.wpsl.info/main.html

13. Bad Soccer

Bad Soccer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    That and the talent will be so watered down in Florida that you end up with 8 mediocre teams. Anyone want to start posting odds as to how many of these teams survive longer than 1 season?

14. philadelphiapirates

philadelphiapirates New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Hey Bad Soccer,
    how do you get out of bed in the morning, anyone so critical of everyone and everything must really suffer from depression so bad, do everyone a favor dont post anything if its not constructive or postitive, we are all here for the good of the womens game no matter what level.
    you really are a depressive sad individual who has nothing but negative opinions about every team that has no interest to you.
    do us all a favor dont say anything

15. Bad Soccer

Bad Soccer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Mr. Long John Silver-Lining-in-Every-Cloud - These aren't rah rah make everyone feel good message boards, they are message boards for people to post their opinions and if you don't like mine, form an opinion of your own and then make an argument against what I post. Don't embarrass yourself with personal attacks that try to make judgements about my personality.

That's one of the more laughable things I've read on BigSoccer in a long time. I didn't know that the well being of the game of women's soccer depended on everyone being constructive and positive on these forums.

Really in all seriousness - please if you don't like what I say, make me look bad by proving me wrong. That's what they call debating. Maybe you can make me a happier person by enlightening me on all the positive things you see in the world that make you so joyful.

16. philadelphiapirates

philadelphiapirates New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Bad Soccer,

Its not my job to make you happier, I can't perform miracles, however nobody said that this has to be a forum for non confrontational views as you are entitled to yours as much as the next guy. You though appear to think that through each post I've read of yours that every Expansion / Franchise whatever you want to para phrase these organisations as are doomed to failure before they even start.

Knowing how hard it is to get one started and the amount of time, money and effort from everyone involved, the bottom line for each owner is to provide as competitive level as possible for the female soccer player.

Now I dont know what your involvement is in soccer, i can only imagine you don't understand anything about the game at all given your limited views on how things are run and the efforts of everyone involved.

The bottom line is for all of us involved in the WPSL / W League or at whatever level need people like you to make us realise that there are people still out there determined to view everything thats going on in a negative fashion and that makes us more determined to do a better job with our own organisations.

Apt choice of name by the way becuase thats exactly what you are bad for soccer. I have no need or desire to offer you any more insight to what we do here in our organisation other than be amused at your ramblings and have a good laugh to ourselves as to how more negative each time you post a reply.

good luck with whatever it is you do, wow

17. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it in this thread earlier:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297054

I don't have a problem with the expansion by the WPSL into Florida, because it is a huge state and by the history of the PDL, can support its own division.

But what may become an issue are the cities they are located in. Three are on top of each other in SoFla (Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Palm Beach) and two in Orlando. In my opinion I would have rather seen teams starting in Orlando, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Meyers/Naples, and Tampa. And then maybe fill in with Jax.

I just can't see Tallahassee or Pensacola getting involved, because of the travel, until Alabama and Mississippi start to get involved.

We can't forget that with these five teams, there are also the W-League teams in Orlando and Cocoa. Though maybe I don't agree with the tone of the post, I do agree that this summer will be an up-hill battle for the 6 new competitive teams (in addition to the new version of the Krush). More so than just another first year team. They will battle themselves along with the strong youth programs in Fla that can still grab the quality fresham coming back for the summer that are young enough to to eligible for their U-19 club teams.

The teams that can get the fans in the corner, and that have the strongest management/organization/ownership backing, will be the most successful in the long run.

18. xmasape

xmasape Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Reality is a tough place in which to reside. Maybe that is why Bad Soccer is so unhappy. Having 8 teams in one state is not a good idea, and in my opinion a lot of the posts bad soccer has written come from an intelligent business perspective - as opposed to the happy go lucky martyrdom which caused the WUSA to fail. The points may be made with a large dose of sarcasm, but if you can get past that, they are actually good points. To build on what El Gato just said - since the teams are in such close proximity - fans of women's soccer will not discriminate between W league and WPSL - they will just go to the game closest to home. So Florida has eight very small crowds and 8 struggling organizations instead of 3 or 4 good teams with large crowds (large crowds usually coincide with success and $$). It's fantastic that a lot of players get to play during the summer, but if you train at a mediocre level with mediocre players, you don't get much out of it and fans tend to find something better to watch. Please don't take offense to this - but if the national team was not in residency, not many of them would choose to play for teams without other national (or international) team players - or at least players from the top 10 colleges - because they need to train at a high level.

Women's soccer needs a few more business minded people who enjoy the game. And some of those who just "think it's great that girls play soccer - and we should give them every chance possible to do so" to take a step back.. to 1979. Girls/women aren't fighting to play anymore - they are now fighting to succeed and play at the highest level possible. A lot of the WPSL (and w league) teams ARE struggling and are full of mediocre talent - which doesnt attract crowds. Honestly, instead of everyone who can come up with $5000 starting their own team - maybe there should be some really good teams who could draw people from the entire region.

Which the central FL team with all of the "big names" will most likely do.

19. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Out here in Nor Cal (a "state" separate and apart from So Cal*), we have five WPSL teams and no W-League teams.

Speaking of which, tryouts for the new Sonoma County Sol WPSL team will be February 20 (by invitation only @ Lucchesi field in Petaluma) and March 5 (open @ Santa Rosa H.S.). www.scfcsol.com

*Notwithstanding the fact that the WPSL Western Division includes the teams from both Nor Cal and So Cal.

20. Bad Soccer

Bad Soccer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    What was your point? To plug the tryouts? You can't compare California to Florida. California might possibly be the best state for soccer in the US.

Captain Jack - if you knew the past history of soccer in Florida, you would be aware that the franchises there are very temporary from the bottom of the USL all the way up to MLS. Five new WPSL teams there in one season? I just don't give them all the best chances of surviving. The W-League teams are both back for a second season but that doesn't mean that they're out of the woods either by any means.

Also, where will the players come from to fill seven rosters? I don't see anyone in Florida being that good this year except for maybe the Strikers if they can bring over as many players from the Krush as possible.

Have a bright, shiny day! :) :)

21. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also agree with the consern of adding so many teams to one state. But it seems like a lot of the teams in this league are an offshot of an established club or league. I would imagine that these teams are going to be a mixture of types of players (youth/college/open). And I would imagine that all of these teams won't be back for a second season, but I could be wrong.

But I guess this is my glass half full view. In the state of Florida there are 10 D1, 11 D2 and 9 NAIA women's soccer programs. Not to mention that you girls that go to school out of state being available. That's a lot of girls / women to recruit from. Are these teams going to be loaded with future players for the national team, not likely. But are they going to help most of then improve as players, you bet. Is it possible that a diamond in the rough might emerge, maybe. And isn't development of players really the purpose of this league?

Also, it's a total of 8 teams in Florida this season. 5 new WPSL, 3 W-League (Bradenton, Central Florida and CoCoa). To me the glass is half full, but the water is a little cloudy.;)