WPS expansion in Canada?

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MishMag

MishMag New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The most obvious choice for a WPS expansion team in Canada would be in Toronto. It is a proven market for soccer with TFC which is consistently sold out (even though they are horrible) & has the population to sustain teams in every major sports league with the Raptors, Leafs and Jays. No NFL team YET. Toronto would be the best option for the WPS....Vancouver just got their MLS White Caps and Montreal's Impact joins next year, whereas soccer in Toronto is already established.
    And while the April weather in Toronto is not ideal, it's not much worse than that of Boston, New Jersey, or Rochester.

2. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitecaps said a while back (some point in the summer) that they were happy at the level they were playing and not really interested in WPS. I'm putting this article in the "no new news but want to rag on WPS so I'll say something to a journo" file.

4. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    WPS is getting plenty of "news" now! Those journalists, they love a good dire story.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitecaps in WPS would be like the LA Blues in USLPRO, not a good idea.

Unless they can get the FC Gold and the LA Sol with 1 or 3 more teams to form a western conference I do not see this happening.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think it has to be a "full" conference - I think three or four total west coast teams would still make it worth it. I know back when VAN was initially showing interest, the owner mentioned he didn't want to join unless there were three other west coast teams also going to join with him.
    FWIW the current WPS "expansion pipeline" includes a group of west coast teams, but I think most people involved with the W-League (or any of the USL in general) don't like anyone that's not USL already. Honestly, I only think that article a while back about W-League forming a pro division was just blowing hot air in response to the continued talk of WPSL forming its own pro division. Anyway, I bet WPS would have to recover quite a bit before we see renewed interest from VAN.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Thanks for posting that. I believe it to be a typical representation of the different focus between the men's and women's game by management.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like McCormack is trying to do the hard work of improving reporting on women's soccer. She's just sent an open email to Rollins about his coverage of women's soccer in general. Good for her.