Would you support a WMLS side?

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by Sachin, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm curious to know how many fans here would be willing to support a Women's Major League Soccer team that had the same name as the men's squad:

So teams like DC United, Metroscum, Dallas Burn, etc?

Personally, I would be more likely to purchase at least a multi-game package for a women's DC United team rather than the Washington Freedom, but that's just me. YMMV.

What do you think?

Sachin

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I'm all for it as long as I have cheap flights to San Jose and hopefully San Diego....

3. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather have a team in Atlanta... but since there isn't and if that was the only way to get a league I suppose, but hopefully someone thinks of some other ways.

4. soccerlube

soccerlube Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Gonzales, TX
    I am up for that. It would give every city that has an MLS squad a women's team

Dallas Burn Women's team

I love the idea!

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't support WUSA, because the closest team was 900 miles away.

I support the KC Wizards, and I would support the KC Witches, too. :eek:

6. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    WMLS:

One could do a lot with the nicknames:

DC
    Freedom
    Eagles
    Lady United (yick!)

NEW ENGLAND
    Minutewomen
    Molly Pitchers
    Revvettes

COLUMBUS
    Queen Bees (yellow and black, get it?)
    Ziggs (former W-League team)
    Collective

NY/NJ
    Empire
    Stars (No Metromedia reference here)
    Lightning (look at the work mark)

KANSAS CITY
    Mystics (a "borrow")
    Witches (offends many right-wingers)
    Charm

DALLAS
    Fillies
    Blazes
    Riders

CHICAGO
    Flames (imagine if the kits were pink)
    Auxilliary
    Inferno

COLORADO
    Whitewaters
    Whitecaps
    Raging River
    Foxes (borrowing APSL name)

LOS ANGELES
    Stargazers
    Starpower
    Comets

SAN JOSE
    Tremors
    Shakes
    Quakers

CHIVAS OF SAN DIEGO
    Chicas
    Nannies
    Candystripers

ROCHESTER
    Rhinoettes
    Abbeys
    Herd

7. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    do i even have to answer the question... :D

8. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    As long as denver got a team, it would make my move out here worth it ;)

Seriously, I will support any women's soccer league, whether it is the WUSA resurrected or WMLS.

9. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Hell *#*#*#*#ing yeah!!!!

A chicago team would be a dream.

10. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    IF there was a Philly franchise, I'd go out to see them, surely. If there wasn't, I'd probably limit it to just watching games on TV. You cannot have a revival of the WUSA, IMO, without having the city that drew the most fans, if you take out MLS-WUSA 2-fers, in the whole league this year, and that's us.

Paul

11. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    I'd support it.

12. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Ditto, so long as that's the league the majority of the players back!

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    God no! MLS nicknames are cheesy enough (United excepted). No need to add another degree of cheesiness.

Personally, I believe a WMLS based in the MLS and A-League SSS and a couple of other places could be successful. Perhaps the women won't make was much money as they were under the WUSA, but at least there would be teams and a league.

I would hope that fans of both genders would get behind the teams.

Sachin

14. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love more than anything to see a Columbus side, because I hate RFK. However, I'm a bit wary of the idea of MLS supporting a women's league. It would kill the women's league more quickly than the WUSA died, methinks, and MLS would go down with it.

The idea is no good for us women's soccer fans. However, I agree that WUSA must undergo a huge overhaul before commencing. If that means no more Beat, so be it. I am a Cindy fan above all else.

15. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Womens soccer is thriving at the semi pro level. The W-league has been around in various configurations for 3 years. Lets hope that the end of the WUSA will pay off at the local level and players, fans and financial investors will keep the opportuntity for these women to play.

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you SURE about that?

Opportunity to play? If that is all you are concerned about, then you needn't worry. The ones that want to, will.

But this is about a Major womens pro league - a whole different ball of wax.

And while I agree that the league to support is the league that most of the players back, to a certain degree, the players need to catch a clue. Setting aside the need for health insurance (which I agree 100% is a LOT more necessary for female athletes than male athletes), there is NO reason that in these growing years that the womens league players should be making MORE than the men. NOTE - I am NOT saying they should be getting paid less. Not at all. But if player income relates to league revenue, then how does a league that draws 8k have players getting paid more than a league that draws 15k?

Frankly, I don't get the people who think that MLS would hurt the womens' game. Why in the world do you think that? Why do you INSIST on reinventing the wheel? That being said, I will agree that the WXXX needs to have their own leadership structure, and I don't have a problem with that including the players - but don't throw out MLS' eight years of experience and the resources they could bring to bear in a business situation.

At the very least, you have stadiums where a team could MAKE money, probably the leverage to get a better television deal - which would make your sponsorship packages a LOT more attractive to potential sponsors - and a whole WORLD of cross-promotional opportunities.

Soccer in all of its forms simply cannot afford to be small, petty, myopic, selfish or stupid. WUSA's decisions to not take the help offered by MLS was all of those things.

The Bottom Line is this - WUSA showed there is CLEARLY a market for womens professional soccer in the US. Now it just needs a business plan that will take advantage of that market.

I just hope Jimmy catches a clue in time - there is a VERY small window of opportunity here, folks.