Would you root for the rival?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by cliffkram, Oct 1, 2003.

1. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Now it's known that MLS teams every now and then play international clubs...When the MLS club you hate plays an international club, who do root for?

Such as this season DC Scum played Blackburn Rovers. I rooted for DC...why? Shows those Eurosnobs that American Footy can compete with other leagues in the world. Also evidenced by the All-Star game this year.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I will never root for the Metroscum. I was praying Chivas players would break Ruiz's leg during the ASG.

Sachin

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd root for any MLS team against any foreign team.

I even root for Nebraska and Michigan against non Big12 and non Big10 teams. And that ain't easy.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever ANYONE plays the Chicago Fire, I'm rooting for them to shithammer the Fire.

I'd root for the Satan XI against the Fire.

5. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I generally root for any MLS teams against any foreign teams, except LA. Carlos Ruiz makes me sick. So is Diego Serna.

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if Dallas were playing, I would choose for the other team. Just kidding...I'd root for any MLS team.

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a no-brainer... I always pull for the MLS teams.

It's the only yardstick to see where the league stands, even if the foreign opposition brings over watered-down squads.

It's for the greater good, people. :)

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When and if I can safely conclude that MLS is not going to go the way of the NASL, then I'll allow myself the luxury of rooting against an MLS team that I hate when they play against foreign competition. Until then, GO BURN!

9. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Most of us are used to the longer lasting rivalries like in MLB or College Football so the term rival has a different meaning. In MLS, I haven't developed the irrational hatred that I have for the Yankees and Notre Dame, so I root for the MLS club against the international competition. Give me 10 years and a Metrostar Dynasty and I might change my opinion.

10. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I root for MLS
    but I only do so because MLS is predominantly filled with Americans.

now if an EPL team were to ever have several Americans (not ever likely) and they wre playing a mostly Mexican San Diego Chivas, I would root for the Americans. So I would root for both teams, but just the American Players. Maybe leaning for the EPL team simply because the odds of the Americans on that team being players on our national team. Also the Americans on Chivas SD would likely be younger or scrubs.

its a national pride thing.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll root for the MLS teams, but if LA gets blown out - That's ok, too.

12. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Re: Re: Would you root for the rival?

That was a waste of time because Dema and Hristo don't play for Chivas.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I think I'd like to see Klu Klux Klan FC win the MLS Cup, or any trophy for that matter, before Dallas does. I'll pick Hitler Youth XI over Los Angeles in international competition any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Where is that Jeff Gillooly guy anyway? i think I have a few jobs for him.

14. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Your hatred of those teams is justified and understandable. Irrational? Eh, eh. Nyet. No.

:)

15. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to MLS versus any foreign opponent, I'd root for the MLS team. Other than that, I wouldn't root for the rival. I even wanted the Big Ten to lose the BCS last year because Ohio State was representing them. I don't know why anyone would root for Ohio State, no matter what.

16. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's much better Ed Martin to root for a morally upstanding Chris Webber paragon of honest dealing Drew Henson school Roy Tarpley like the University of Jalen Rose Michigan.

17. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not trying to stand on any moral highground, I don't like Ohio State, (from attending mainly the American Football games, and now the soccer match-ups) the rivalry is what makes the games even more fun, especially when we put it to them on November 1st in Columbus, when the soccer teams match up.

BTW what did Tarpley do at Michigan? I know the train wreck he was in the NBA, but not at Michigan.

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More of the same, raging cocaine addiction. It was an open secret in Ann Arbor, but was covered up by the University (much like Jalen Rose's arrest at a crack house in Detroit). Bill Frieder, his coach, even moved Tarpley's mother to Ann Arbor, in an attempt to keep him in line, but it obviously didn't work.

19. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, they should just do away with the basketball program. That's ugly, very ugly.

Anyway, how many people here would really not want their MLS rival (whomever that may be) to take down one of the big wigs in Europe? Both teams playing their starters, not the second team.

(I know that could be tough, but we're assuming the MLS squad would win).

And only the people who would WANT the MLS squad to win.

20. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing that SJ crashed out of the Champions Cup against Fish's old team this year and Chicagoon crashing out of the Open Cup last year to Milwaukee both brought me great joy. Hell, hearing SJ choked against Seattle in the Open Cup this year had me doing backflips. :)

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    *yawn*

And yet another MLS thread turns to basketball (or football or baseball). :rolleyes:

22. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    Case in Point: Chicago losing today would be really really good for the Quakes' shield chances. Really really good. Did not stop me from celebrating both goals they scored on the hapless scum tonight.

I would take another four years of Bush II for an 0-30-0 Galaxy season. Easily.

23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never root for the Burn. I don't care who they are playing. Real Madrid, Man U, Scunthorpe, it doesn't matter. And when the foreign team wins, we can just berate them for playing against a club that couldn't beat an U-10 girls squad.

24. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent post. You must be as happy as a pig in crap this season. Silly Burn.

25. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I'd root for any MLS team, except the Galaxy.