Would This Work?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chicago1871, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so I was reading about the advancement of NAS (network attached storage) technology and it's move towards home use and I got an idea. I'm curious, those of you who have set up your own home networking, if this might work.

Say I took a NAS unit and attached it to my home network. I then used a Slingbox, or other such technology to allow my music/movies/pictures to play on my television/stereo/computer. Would it be possible to create a home theater "control" out of a PDA using wireless technology?

What I mean is, if everything is wired together with my files stored on the NAS server, with the Slingbox able to send the media upstairs (to my PC) or downstairs to my television and stereo, could I make a PDA (wireless) act as a remote that would allow me to access my files stored upstairs on my NAS server and play them on my stereo or television?

This is just a hypothetical, but if possible, might be pretty cool. Am I missing any links or just dreaming?

2. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    You could access all the kit from your pda if you used it as a remote server, yes.

3. chrisinho

chrisinho Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Back in HelLA
    This is vy possible to do. In fact, I'm building a prototype of a similar set up that you're describing for work. As for the PDA, I'm using a Sony PSP as it has built in WiFi and am using its browser interface to act as the controller.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me know how it works out.

5. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Let me know too.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heads up, I bought one of the cheap iomega NAS hard drives and it is too slow to stream video. I had better success streaming video from an extrnal hard drive on another computer on my home network than from the NAS drive.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During my innitial foray into the technical foundation of my hypothetical plan I read that Iomega is a good, cheap storage option, but it isn't great at streaming. There were a couple NAS drives mentioned that sounded like they were designed for streaming media, but I can't recall which ones. CNet, PC Mag, and a couple other sites that are easy to find can provide a wealth of information. Most had their strengths and weakenesses, it's just a matter of weighing options and finding the right one.