Would New Yorkers Embrace The Red Bulls If They Won A Championship.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by chitownfire, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chitownfire

chitownfire New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking earlier today how NYRB don't have too many fans and some New Yorkers keep saying that they don't want to accept NYRB because they are not the Cosmos and something about them being in New Jersey. But do you think that New York would embrace the Red Bulls if they won an MLS Cup?

2. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Would New Yorkans Embrace The Red Bulls If They Won A Championship.

New Yorkers first of all...Second of all yes new yorkers like winning teams so i think yes.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How has the attendance been since they had 66,000 when Beckham was there? That was called by one of the commentators as the best MLS game EVER. It was definitely the best MLS game I've seen and it was VERY exciting. Altidore and Angel kept pushing hard and kept the fans on their feet.

I would think attendance would have been at least 20,000 from that point on. So, how has the attendance been after that LA/NY game?

4. Highway 6

Highway 6 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin

They did get a nice boost after the LA game. Over 20k tonight. I remember a couple of games in the 16-17k range as well. Pretty big upside for that team if they put a few solid seasons together.

5. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On the downside, they only got around 13k for the Blanco game, which was also the game that immediately followed the Beckham game.

6. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not as many Mexican ppl as you would think in NY as you would think....Many and El Salvadorians and Agrentians yes, but not many Mexicans

7. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA

no. there would just be another invented excuse for why they are hard to support followed by the inevitable "they are in New Jersey and don't point out how both NFL teams are in Jersey also but get insane support because comparing traveling time to the same exact destination is completely irrelevant when bitching about how difficult it is to get to a location'

Beside, if you need championships to justify supporting your team you aren't a real supporter. You are there for the crap as well as the good or else you just aren't a fan.

8. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Answer: no.

9. Re: Would New Yorkans Embrace The Red Bulls If They Won A Championship.

Looking at the stats, they have higher average attendance then the Fire so maybe you should pose this question to your own city.

10. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

in a city the size of NY there should be 40K there everynight.

im not sure what they have to do.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Ok, so NY should triple the average MLS attendance simply because NYC is a large city?

People that don't live here that think they are alll knowing about the area should just STFU. I have read more mornic posts on this from you idiots to last a life time.

So kindly stuff it and stop with the penis envy of our city.

12. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol ok.

2 Major League Baseball teams-

2007 attendence:
    Yankees- 52,739(81 games) sold out all playoff games
    Mets- Mets- 47,529(81 games)

3 NHL teams:(last seasons attendence..to note..so far threw 3 home games the Islanders have sold out 2 games, and are ovr 4K ahead of last year per game..the Devils will sellout many more games with there new building..the NYR sold out there season in one morning..and sold out every playoff game ever.
    Devils-14,176(will be 3K higher this year atleast)
    Islanders-12,886(already 4K higher so far..might not last)
    Rangers-18,200(sold out every game)

2 NBA teams:

Knicks- 18,795(almost sold out everygame..horrible team
    Nets-16,972

the NFL teams sold out every game last season.

each NBA and NHL teams play 41 home games.

I dont want to hear your BS anymore

1 pro soccer team with 15 home games or 16..im not sure...

yes 40K or so should be the normal attendence.

if you can get 20K to to go a game in a 20 mi population city there is a TON of work to do there.

13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this post is exactly the moron rant i am talking about.

You actually have the audasity to compare an MLS team with such established iconic franchies as the Rangers, Yankees, and NFL teams.

Find me a city where the MLS team out draws the other top pro sports in that same city.

You're so stupid it barely warrents a response, you're obvioulsy just trying to stir the pot.

14. Why not compare their average to what the local wnba, arena league or MLL team averages? They are far closer of a product to that then any of those ones you mentioned. All those leagues have the best players in the world and those franchises have decades of tradition that have been passed down through generations.

15. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree 100 percent.

however ive read many times here how the MLS is a huge deal with a huge talent pool to choose from.

so which is it?

the MLS compared to every team sport below top 6 in north american beats all of them...afl, wnba, and so on.

16. I think MLS is above those leagues but still below the others. My guess is the "minor league" stigma hurts MLS in that area where there are so many different entertainment options not to mention the poor history of the franchise. NY averaged 50K fans for a soccer team at one time that didnt have the "minor league" stigma attached to it. They were called the Cosmos.

17. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ummmmm :)

Los Angeles, DC?

as to Falcon..I know about the Cosmos....I think the nation takes the MLS a lot less serious than the nation did then.

I wasnt alive then...so I cant say for sure.

I can tell you in st louis..there isnt mainstream buzz about an MLS team.

but it will sellout every game for years

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    TFC also doesn't have a whole lot of mainstream attention in Toronto. It isn't the buzz of talk radio or the sports bars or the water cooler. Coverage in many outlets ends when the hockey season begins. Doesn't stop them either.

I tend to chalk up RB's poor attendance in a sport that's quite popular in the NY area simply to a franchise that's done everything wrong. When you have that much bad history, you can't expect everything to change overnight, but a couple of real contenders in a row would get a lot of things moving in a positive direction, especially in conjunction with a stadium.

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Given the intellectual level of your responses, you don't have much place to talk.

20. Stadium-Armory

Sep 6, 2006
    H Street NE
    Club:
    DC United
    Just saying...

Washington Redskins 2006: 87,631
    Washington Nationals 2007: 24,217
    DC United 2007: 20,458*
    Washington Wizards 06-07: 18,372
    Washington Capitals 06-07: 13,929

According to the Dan Steinberg's sports bog.

* Not including most recent home game against Chicago, which drew 25,404.

21. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    owned. :D

I thought the reason they don't show up is because they have to drive to NJ. :rolleyes:

22. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Of course, there is the fact that the Wizards and Capitals play in a facility that doesn't have more than 18,500 seats. :rolleyes:

23. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    WTF is a wizard and a capital?:p

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That would be an impressive point, too, except for the fact that it seats 20,674 for basketball and 18,672 for hockey, meaning neither team comes very close to selling it out.

25. chitownfire

chitownfire New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey I know your attendance has been up recently and it's been about the same as ours has been recently as well. I'm not trying to say anything bad about RBNY, actually I really enjoy watching them play, they're my second favorite team, I just think they have so much talent in that squad and it would be great if they could get more people out there to watch them play that's all. I just wrote this because I had heard the excuses before about them not being the cosmos and them being in New Jersey, so I was thinking if all those people could come out and watch this team play they'd change their minds. By the way I really liked the other guy beside Shep that was commentating last nights game for the Red Bulls network, he sounded European I don't know from where...but it was good.