Would doing a Masters make sense?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by act smiley, Nov 10, 2010.

1. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So, I basically slept my way through university, and popped out the other end with a BSc in Computer Science from a good university, with an average grade.

Long story short, all the momentum I've had for the past 2 1/2 years since then is petering out. When it comes to thinking of what next, it just feels like I've got unfinished business with that, so I'm really tempted to look into doing a Masters.

In terms of a masters what I'd be worried about most would be whether or not my maths skills would hold up - they were average at the time, and I've not used them a great deal since.

Would this be a bit mad?

(to clarify, there's no financial reason to do it, just interest)

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If it's for personal enrichment, absolutely go for it!

To bone up on your math skillzzzz, you can take a refresher course and/or re-take the last level you took while an undergrad, or maybe an important bridge course. You can take a course in the spring semester and/or the summer term.

Keep in mind that many, many public colleges are packed b/c of the economic downturn, when unemployed go back to school for further training now that they have time.

3. adaptor

adaptor New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I have a really good education (two master degrees) and still it's not easy for me to find a good job.
    As "uclacarlos" said education is for personal enrichment.
    So go for it!

4. adaptor

adaptor New Member

Jan 6, 2011

P.S. Check this out, for further information on higher education.

5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I have both a BS/MS in Computer Science.

It might help you in the future, especially if you work for a DoD contractor or any company related to that field. It also shows an interest in continuing to learn, which also at worst will have no effect, but may help, depending on the company and the interview. The MS will also get you past some automated HR filters that screen resumes.

will math hurt you? Depends on the MS program and the classes you take. There are really two "types" of MS programs in CS, theory/research tracks and "real life development" tracks. You will have to pass MS level algorithms, which will have math in it, but it's not really heavy duty math, simple calculus and logarithms.

Check the schools you are interested in for the required courses, see what the focus is: theory or writing code. I can usually tell within 10 minutes interviewing candidates which type they have. All I have to do is get them into discussions around programs/projects they worked on and what they specifically did. I'd rather have the development focus over the theory focus any day!